E30 325i Rag-Top

The all-new BMW 8 Series Coupe

Media release

16 June 2018

The all-new BMW 8 Series Coupe.

The presentation of the new BMW 8 Series Coupe adds a brand new chapter to the Bavarian premium carmaker’s long history of sensational sports cars – and gets its current model offensive in the luxury segment off to a particularly dynamic start. The BMW 8 Series Coupe is a dream car boasting outstanding performance, emotion-stirring design, state-of-the-art luxury and exceptionally advanced equipment features when it comes to display and control technology, driver assistance and connectivity.

The primary development objective for the BMW 8 Series Coupe was thrilling driving dynamics. The body, powertrain and suspension were consistently honed to achieve the supreme agility, precision and poise expected of a top- class sports car. In the process, remarkably powerful engines were combined with the BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system and BMW EfficientLightweight design measures.

Heading the model range is the BMW M850i xDrive Coupe, which is powered by a newly developed 390 kW/530 hp V8 petrol engine. This BMW M Performance model will be launched in November 2018 together with the BMW 840d xDrive Coupe featuring an extraordinarily potent six- cylinder in-line diesel unit with 235 kW/320 hp.

Exterior design: new design language generates sporting appeal.

The exterior design of the BMW 8 Series Coupe exudes a very modern form of sporting appeal, beautifully blended with an air of exclusiveness and sensual allure. The production model therefore lives up to all the expectations engendered by the BMW Concept 8 Series. Its unique aura is the result of a new styling language focusing on clarity, modernity and emotional engagement. The expressive surface design of the exterior bodyshell emphasises the dynamic character of the new BMW 8 Series Coupe with greater intensity than on any of the brand’s previous models. The expansive surfaces are structured using pared-down, crisp character lines. The car’s low-slung design, an elongated silhouette with a slim window graphic and a roofline flowing elegantly into the rear with distinctive “double-bubble” contouring, a long wheelbase and a wide track are the defining elements of the BMW 8 Series Coupe’s proportions. With exterior dimensions of 4,843 mm in length, 1,902 mm in width, 1,341 mm in height and a wheelbase of 2,822 mm, the two-door car adopts an extremely powerful stance on the road.

The sports car’s immense drive power is visualised to stunning effect by the elaborate, jutting design of the front apron, the large air intakes – which assume an even more imposing appearance on the BMW M850i xDrive Coupe and in conjunction with the M Sport package – and the precise contours of the bonnet. The low-down BMW kidney grille is hexagonal in shape, with its elements framed by a single-piece surround. The LED headlights are the slimmest of any BMW model to date. BMW Laserlight with variable road illumination and Selective Beam is optionally available.

Whilst the surfaces curve inwards on the far side of the front wheels, they flare outwards again in powerful fashion in the vicinity of the rear wheels. This combines with the strikingly tapered glasshouse to create a muscular shoulderline. At the rear, the interplay of horizontal and diagonal lines emphasises the car’s width and low centre of gravity. The LED taillights add to this effect by extending deep into the flanks.

Precise details optimise aerodynamics and weight.

An almost fully sealed underbody, active air flap control and Air Curtains including Air Breathers help to reduce the aerodynamic drag of the new BMW 8 Series Coupe’s streamlined body. Narrow exterior mirror bases also help smooth the airflow. On the BMW M850i xDrive Coupe, an additional front spoiler further minimises lift at the front axle at high speeds. The roof of the new BMW 8 Series Coupe takes a leaf from the book of traditional sports car design by featuring a central cutout that recalls the “double-bubble” styling of classic racing cars.

This distinctive contouring also graces the optional carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP) roof, which is available for the first time on a series-production model from the core BMW brand and lowers the car’s centre of gravity even further. The air intake bars, exterior mirror caps, rear spoiler and rear diffuser of the optional Carbon package are likewise all made from CFRP.

Interior: sporty driving experience, relaxed and luxurious ambience.

The modern and minimalistic exterior design language is continued inside the new BMW 8 Series Coupe, creating a relaxingly luxurious ambience. At the same time, all lines point lengthways, automatically directing the gaze to the front and emphasising the focus on sporty driving. All control elements are clearly arranged. A concise surface design lets the high-quality materials really stand out. The use of trim finishers, for instance, is restricted to the sports car- style transition between the centre console and the instrument panel.

The newly developed sports seats are upholstered as standard in Vernasca leather. The full leather trim for the door shoulders and instrument panel is also standard. Thanks to the low seating position of both rear seats, it has been possible to design the head restraints as an integral part of the backrests. The rear backrest can be split 50 : 50 as standard and folded down to increase the capacity of the 420-litre luggage compartment.

The luxurious character of the new BMW 8 Series Coupe can be further enhanced by a number of top-quality optional extras. The range includes the BMW Display Key, telephony with wireless charging, climate seats, the Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System, as well as glass applications for selected controls. Moreover, there is a choice of model- specific options from BMW Individual.

New V8 engine with incredible power delivery and acoustics.

A new V8 power unit is making its debut in the BMW M850i xDrive Coupe. The 4.4-litre engine with M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology serves up an intoxicating blend of prodigious power delivery and an equally impressive soundtrack, which is further enhanced by the flap-controlled sports exhaust system. The turbochargers located within the V-shaped space between the cylinder banks, the direct petrol injection system, the thermal shielding, the cooling circulation system, as well as the ignition and engine electronics are just some of the features that have been extensively redeveloped, along with the crankcase.

Thanks to a 50 kW/68 hp increase in output with no impact on weight compared to the engine it replaces, the new V8 is now able to generate 390 kW/530 hp, which is on tap between 5,500 and 6,000 rpm. Maximum torque of 750 Nm (553 lb-ft) is available over a wide rev range from 1,800 to 4,600 rpm for prolonged forward thrust. The new BMW M850i xDrive Coupe accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 3.7 seconds.

Efficient straight-six diesel engine with tremendous pulling power.

The new BMW 840d xDrive Coupe provides another highly distinctive take on the sports car genre. The unprecedented use of a diesel engine in this segment produces a delightful mix of supreme pulling power and excellent fuel economy. The 3.0-litre six-cylinder in-line diesel unit with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology delivers a maximum output of 235 kW/320 hp and peak torque of 680 Nm (501 lb-ft), which is available as low down as 1,750 rpm.

The engine employs multi-stage turbocharging technology and its performance characteristics permit relaxed cruising at low engine speeds, while also enabling the car to sprint to 100 km/h (62 mph) from rest in only 4.9 seconds.

Swift and precise power transfer: eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission, BMW xDrive.

The engine transfers power to a new, improved version of the eight-speed Steptronic Sport transmission, whose increased ratio spread, new transmission management and optimised hydraulic control produce sportier gear shifts while also enhancing its efficiency and smoothness. Shift paddles on the steering wheel are included as standard for manual gear selection.

The BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system likewise operates more efficiently than ever before. With its rapid, precise and fully variable distribution of torque between the front and rear wheels, it maximises traction and handling stability even in highly dynamic driving situations. At the same time, the rear-biased set-up guarantees the sort of driving experience for which BMW sports cars are renowned.

Chassis: perfect overall package for maximum performance.

The construction principle and tuning of the BMW 8 Series Coupe’s chassis are designed to harness the dynamic potential of its powertrain technology – and make best use of the car’s underlying concept to achieve maximum sports performance. Optimised weight, a low centre of gravity, well-balanced axle load distribution, ideal wheelbase length and a wide track, plus a rigid body structure and favourable aerodynamic properties provide all the right ingredients to this end.

The standard equipment for the new BMW 8 Series Coupe includes the Adaptive M suspension with electronically controlled dampers. This allows the action of the springs and dampers to be regulated with great precision so that the driver receives no more than the necessary feedback on the road surface. Integral Active Steering is also standard; it reduces the turning circle when manoeuvring, increases agility and makes changing lanes or taking corners at high speeds even more effortless.

BMW M Performance model, M Sport package with specific equipment features.

The standard specification for the BMW M850i xDrive Coupe also includes exceptionally powerful M Sport brakes along with 20-inch M light-alloy wheels with high-performance tyres. This BMW M Performance model is also instantly recognisable by its exclusive exterior appointments in Cerium Grey, an M rear spoiler and illuminated door sills bearing the model name. These are complemented by equipment features that also form part of the M Sport package available for the new BMW 840d xDrive Coupe, including multifunction seats, M leather steering wheel and interior trim strips in a stainless steel mesh design.

Wide choice of advanced driver assistance systems.

Numerous cutting-edge driver assistance systems are available to boost the comfort and safety of the new BMW 8 Series Coupe, in particular. The line-up includes Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, the Steering and lane control assistant, the Lane Change Warning and Lane Departure Warning systems, the Lane Keeping Assistant with side collision protection and evasion aid, BMW Night Vision, as well as the Crossing traffic warning, Priority warning and Wrong-way warning systems.

Besides steering, the Parking Assistant takes over the job of controlling the accelerator and brakes. The system also comprises the Reversing Assistant, which makes it possible to reverse easily for a distance of up to 80 metres by steering the vehicle back along the exact path it recently drove forwards.

The new BMW Operating System 7.0 display and control concept.

The inclusion of the BMW Operating System 7.0 display and control concept as standard on the new BMW 8 Series Coupe makes sure the driver is supplied with the right information at the right time. Customisable and personalised displays can be called up in both the instrument cluster and the 10.25-inch Control Display. A flat menu structure that has been optimised for touch control permits fast access to all settings and functions. The situation- based content includes visualising lateral acceleration during high-speed cornering. To enable multimodal interaction, the driver has a choice of using the buttons on the steering wheel, the iDrive Controller, the touch display, voice control or BMW gesture control. The BMW Live Cockpit Professional comes as standard and comprises a fully digital instrument cluster with a 12.3-inch display, in the centre of which a specific section of the navigation map can be shown, for example. Thanks to the consistent design of the graphics, it forms a harmonious display cluster together with the Control Display. The further improved BMW Head-Up Display can also be found on the list of standard equipment and features a larger projection area, new content and optimised graphics.

The BMW Connected personal mobility assistant is available for seamless connectivity between the vehicle and digital devices. The digital services available for use in the new BMW 8 Series Coupe include hazard warnings obtained from interconnectivity with other BMW vehicles, “over-the-air” software upgrading, the integration of Microsoft Office 365 and Skype for Business, as well as the BMW Digital Key, which allows customers to unlock the vehicle and start the engine using a smartphone.

Ends.

*Please note: this is an international media release without adaptions for the New Zealand market.  Final model range, specifications and pricing will be available closer to local launch.

P90306641.jpg

P90306608.jpg

P90306628.jpg

P90306611.jpg

P90306621.jpg

P90306599.jpg

P90306597.jpg

P90306593.jpg

P90306645.jpg

P90306644.jpg

P90306643.jpg

P90306642.jpg

• Like 1

@jeffbebewhat colour do you want me to order for you? Or do you want to wait for the M8 version...?

Very nice, fantastic looking car. 

I imagine in silver or black it will be very impressive. 

Wow that looks mean

Nicer than the concept pictures for sure! 

But it does look a lot like a stretched and squashed 2 series coupe or something though... not very E31 8 series like which was significantly different from the rest of the BMW range in 1990.

I guess they wanted to play it safe like all brands do, just making the same looking cars with different proportions and body styles.

BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Lexus are obsessed with that brand model uniformity. I get it, but as far as new designs go, it kills anything creative 

Does this replace the 6 series appearing in the new generation line up?

Pretty much, yes. The 6 series will now be the "Gran Tourismo" body style only.

8 Series will feature the coupe shown, and then the cabrio early next year.

Yes but for those front grilles - non proportioned to me!

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Pretty much, yes. The 6 series will now be the "Gran Tourismo" body style only.

8 Series will feature the coupe shown, and then the cabrio early next year.

Do you think there will be a M8?

Also curious what price you think the new 8 series will sell for. 

wa hey, it's the 7er Coupe! pity they aren't going with the merc formula, a variant for every sector. there is still room for a 5er coupe, just different price points. 

BMW needs a M-coupe, much like the Merc AMG GT.  something that is completely of it's own type, with no equal. maybe a new Z8? with a proper Z8M

12 hours ago, zero said:

Do you think there will be a M8?

Also curious what price you think the new 8 series will sell for. 

I think it has already been anounced that there will be an M8 version of each body style? The cars racing at Le Mans 24hr were designated M8 GTE to raise awareness of the model as well i think.

The new models are all about "redefining luxury" and an 8 > 6, so the pricing would do the same I would expect. First NZ models and pricing should be communicated soon I believe.

What about a model one out of the box mm a ute per say. 

Shooting brake version = Squished 1 series hatch.

35649177_10155898479284633_6645977615817506816_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

@E30 325i Rag-Top I quite fancy the green M8 concept they showed in Geneva, Jon. That blue one looks a bit too lunch like a Mustang in profile for my taste. I’m sure it’ll be a great car but for the same money, I think I’d rather have an AMG GTR!

D749223F-6491-4864-B176-4CE01441F9DA.jpeg

That's the 4-door Gran Coupe concept, which isn't coming until a little bit further down the line. Thought you would be more of a 2-dr man, given the current 850i.

I just like the colour!! Saw some gorgeous photos of a green (concept?) M8 with gold window trim. Definitely a piece of me!! Presumably your marketing team will need an original one for their marketing. I’m happy to loan mine in return for a new one. I’ll even post a bit online about it 😜

• Haha 1