Sign in to follow this  
Colossus

2014 M3 with high kms - should I buy?

1 hour ago, Colossus said:

1) Do you want a car that is 4 years old with higher KM's, or  a completely different car that is 8 or so years old with fewer KM's

One other thing to consider - what use are you going to give it?
If you plan on weekend use, the average kms/year will soon come down again.

Now don't tell me you're miserable Michael!

I could think of better things to blow 55k on personally, nice car, but its gonna depreciate like a mofo really quickly, compared to the others on the market, unless you dont drive it and wait for the populations odos to catch up..

Get something thats already been forgotten about by the Jones's, and has done all its depreciation, then blow 40k on it  #cough#S65 1 series#cough# 

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

I could think of better things to blow 55k on personally, nice car, but its gonna depreciate like a mofo really quickly, compared to the others on the market, unless you dont drive it and wait for the populations odos to catch up..

Get something thats already been forgotten about by the Jones's, and has done all its depreciation, then blow 40k on it  #cough#S65 1 series#cough# 

hahaha jacko you just cant get that out of your mind eh

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

haha, been there done that. Not with a BMW but a version 8 wrx sti I used to own. I'm all about stock cars now really.

Any modern car you purchase for circa $55k will depreciate a lot.. This one perhaps less so if I do fewer KMs because it has already depreciated more than a similarly aged car due to the higher KMs.

It has occurred to me the car could cost me say $1k/month in depreciation and say an average of $400+/month in maintenance. So is it worth $1400 a month to me..

Edited by Colossus

11 hours ago, gjm said:

One other thing to consider - what use are you going to give it?
If you plan on weekend use, the average kms/year will soon come down again.

Thank you for opening my eyes to the idea of keeping my existing POS run about, and my weekend car, and getting a third car ;)

11 hours ago, M3AN said:

Now don't tell me you're miserable Michael!

I have a BMW! 318ti with no engine. M54B30 going in soonish.  

• Like 1

Even after changing the yr to 2013, 2017 trade me still come up with 163 bmws around the price range and with lower ks. Sorry can see no logic in throwing 50k odd at some thing that will continue to go down in price at a rapid rate.  

^ dont think thats quite fair.

2013-2017 + $50-60k = 163 BMW's but none of these are M3 or close.

I can only find 1 listing that MAY be close which is a NZ new 435i 2015 with 30kms for $60k but gran coupe, not sure if the OP is keen on this shape.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1603054579

Otherwise there is 1x 335d imported, and a few 330e and 330d.

Nothing that comes close to a M3.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allan said:

Even after changing the yr to 2013, 2017 trade me still come up with 163 bmws around the price range and with lower ks. Sorry can see no logic in throwing 50k odd at some thing that will continue to go down in price at a rapid rate.  

You are not looking at comparable vehicles, as Kyu says above you should be looking at the performance end of the BMW range, not any Bimmer. In particular other M3s from around the same age. Having been fortunate enough to drive a wide selection of the range I would have to say that the F80 M3 is my favourite all round vehicle. Practical and comfortable enough for a weeks touring holiday with the family, and yet still a beast of a car for a spirited drive and even capable on track. Comparing this with X1s and similar is like trying to decide whether to buy caviar or Spam.

In terms of rv, I would also suggest that a well maintained (even if higher kms) M3 would hold it's value more than most of the rest of the range at a similar current price point provided it is kept in good condition and servicing kept up.