Sign in to follow this  
Wagon man

Moving drive by wire from 330i E46 into my m54b30 swapped 318i wagon

Hello all, I'm sorry if this has been solved or discussed somewhere but I could not find anything. I'm doing the 3.0L swap from a 330i into my 318i wagon (both E46) and am up to the point of removing the drive by wire throttle assembly from the 330. I am wondering what the process involves? Do I have to take the whole harness the wire from the throttle pedal attaches to, or can I tease them out somehow? Any help would be hugely appreciated! Many thanks. 

Some pics of the madness if anyone's interested :) (the car with the halos is the wagon getting the new motor)

IMG_20180617_163929.jpg

IMG_20180617_163901.jpg

IMG_20180617_163913.jpg

IMG_20180617_163938.jpg

IMG_20170531_081426.jpg

IMG_20180617_163907.jpg

Haven't done one but you will need to change the whole system over to allow the system to work.

Ah yep. All the running gear is being changed, ECU, engine, am putting the 5 spd manual ZF in as well. So it sounds like the entire loom that the throttle pedal is connected to needs to be moved over?

Interesting thought being 2001 it would have been fly by wire already what engine did it have in it before?. As mentioned you will have to use the wiring from the donor car. If the 318 set up was auto you can remove all that wiring and auto control box as it will not be needed with the manual trans. With the manual trans you will need to code the car to make it think it is a manual or swap out the cluster from the donor to keep the system balanced plus all the locks ews etc.

Edited by allan

Hey Allan thanks for your reply. The engine is a m43tub19 I believe. The in line 4 sohc 1.9L

Yea had a look in the the parts cat and it appears the M43 up to August 2001 was cable and the N42 even December 2000 was fly by wire. When you come to remove the pedal module it is on a slide can't remember which way though. What yr is the motor and donor car hope not to far from the year of the touring as bmw is really good a changing things which can be a right pain.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E46-Touring/Europe/318i-M43/aug2001/browse/pedals/accelerator_pedal_bowden_cable/

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E46-Touring/Europe/318i-N42/R-N/mar2001/browse/pedals/acceleration_accelerator_pedal_module/ 

Edited by allan

Ah yeah I thought as much. Thank you for checking. I'm about to start taking the 318 to bits but I think I've got everything covered. I have both cars here it'll just be time consuming moving it all over. Just wanted to make sure there was no other way to wire up the drive by wire but it looks like the whole loom is coming out! Cheers again 

One nice thing about the e46 is you can remove the front real easy.It gives great access to the engine etc. Found removing the front cross member and struts etc with motor and box as a complete unit was far easier also. As when removed from the confines of the car body was still able to move it around and work on it in comfort. Wish you well with it keep us updated also.