Sign in to follow this  
gjm

2001 318Ci

As those who were at the coffee meet at the beginning of the month saw, we had an issue with the rear right side indicator. The right hand indicators all worked, but flashed at double speed; hazard lights all worked and flashed at normal speed.

The rear right indicator wasn't as bright as the left side - bulbs were swapped, but problem persisted on the right side.

Found the connection... Tiny, fiddly little contacts which had some corrosion on them, raising the resistance in the circuit enough to fool the circuit sensor into thinking a bulb was out.
Much fiddling with tiny abrasives and working the connection later and problem solved. Good connection, correct brightness, no double-speed flashing. :)

• Like 2

Connection in the light housing?

30 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Connection in the light housing?

In the wiring connector, about 10-12" back from the light housing. One of those tiny little ribbon-type contacts had corroded inside the plug.

Today I replaced the fog light bulbs. Those who have done this will know it's not quite a straightforward as replacing the bulbs - jack up the car, remove the front wheels, undo lots of small bolts, undo a couple of screws, manipulate plastic pieces to release the lower one, and only then can you see where the fog light bulbs go. <sigh>

Saving grace is that they are the cheaper type H4B bayonet fitting, and not the much more expensive H11 one I thought they might be.

Yippee.

Short-lived celebrations, though.

We've been losing a little coolant from the back of the engine - that'll be the flange (p/n 11531708808):

image.png.cdd88af389b9e0454e71fd3dbd199b1a.png

Common problem, and not an expensive part. (There's evidence of the similar pipes at the front of the engine having been replaced already.)

It's a bit of a PITA - remove the cabin airfilter and tray, remove pipes, undo a couple of 10mm AF bolts that you can't see, and remove the flange.

Or... Remove most of it.

20180723_152353.thumb.jpg.f7b1fed2ae8714d684b8d899d672037e.jpg20180723_152406.thumb.jpg.21f2864c487c1fbc0a17803ceb217b8f.jpg

Can you spot the difference?

Previous owner's boyfriend - the 'mechanic' - strikes again. The last part of this flange is still in the cylinder head. In an all-but inaccessible position. Worse, whoever did this (it wasn't me - this is old damage!) then slapped loads of gunk around the broken flange before replacing it and overtightening the securing bolts.

I'm hoping I can sort this without removing the cylinder head, and have asked another forum member for some pics of the back of a M43 cylinder head so I can see what I'm dealing with.

<sigh>

Remarkably, I've not even started swearing yet.

3 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

I see your problem with the flange- you aren't replacing it with a genuine part! ? the joys of old German plastic...

The replacement isn't a genuine part, but the broken one is. :(

I thought about a genuine part for the replacement but price and availability played against that. The replacement is from Meyle, so not a knock-off cardboard item from somewhere we've never heard of.

This cannot be the first time this has happened - it's probably fairly common. I just need to work out how to best resolve it. (Most preferably without removing the cylinder head!) I suspect that something like a dentist's pick may be useful, but I don't have one. Obviously I need to avoid getting detritus into the waterways, too, although I'll flush everything through again anyway.

I recall having a similar issue with the flange breaking off. Can't exactly what I did but i think I levered and broke it apart with a stubby screw driver and pick

• Thanks 1

You need a few right angle tools do clean out the crap and you also need a clean surface for the "O" rings to seal properly with a little locktite master gasket. It is a very easy job when you have done a few and have the right gear. There is nothing wrong with the part you have purchased. I have used hundreds of those.

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very much a tongue in cheek comment, I love how Meyle parts are often vandalised to hide the genuine stamps and then sold for much less in a Meyle box.

Did a similar job with a 6'' nail bent at right angles once.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Very much a tongue in cheek comment, I love how Meyle parts are often vandalised to hide the genuine stamps and then sold for much less in a Meyle box.

All good...wasn't having a dig. I'm past all that sh*t...life goes on

9 minutes ago, Eagle said:

I recall having a similar issue with the flange breaking off. Can't exactly what I did but i think I levered and broke it apart with a stubby screw driver and pick

I've just tried a slightly-longer-than-stubby screwdriver, and it's too long. I'm hoping that the recess in the head is a little deeper than the piece of plastic which has broken off, so I can get behind it a bit.

7 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

You need a few right angle tools do clean out the crap and you also need a clean surface for the "O" rings to seal properly with a little locktite master gasket. It is a very easy job when you have done a few and have the right gear. There is nothing wrong with the part you have purchased. I have used hundreds of those.

The right gear is the immediate issue! I'll make something, if necessary.
I'm quite happy to spend a bit of time sorting this and ensuring it's clean before fitting the new part.

4 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

That could be the tool I make! Although I may start with an old screwdriver and see how that goes.

Progress. An old, cheap screwdriver modified to  ¯¯¯\___  did the trick.
Managed to catch the back of my hand on the clips securing pipes to the bulkhead, of course... ?

image.thumb.png.8936f8c8619fe3715e470334eef01336.png

A couple of bits fell down behind the engine. Running my finger around the hole it now feels clear of bits of plastic - just needs a clean. (Once I've mopped up the blood from the back of my hand...)

Why can't people do a job properly? (I'm certain Glenn has seen far more than his share of bodges...)

No skill and no money, both usually go hand in hand.

318i or 320i are your typical badge bunny cars after all 

50 minutes ago, Eagle said:

No skill and no money, both usually go hand in hand.

318i or 320i are your typical badge bunny cars after all 

Sounds like me! I try to make up what I lack in skill or training by massive attention to detail. I know when something is wrong, and won't leave it in that state.
And I certainly have no money! :D 

That's a skill in my book, good one to have when it comes to cars.

No money is a bit vague but sure you are doing ok.. I don't think your quite upto the level of getting winz to pay for your car repairs yet?. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eagle said:

No money is a bit vague but sure you are doing ok.. I don't think your quite upto the level of getting winz to pay for your car repairs yet?. 

Level 100 is when you get them to pay for new 20'' tyres, to pass a WOF, to get to a job interview, in your VE Comodore. Seen it happen!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Eagle said:

There's very little I can't do, but quite a lot of not done, and a fair bit I don't know how to do (yet). And by 'do', I mean 'do properly'. :)

Not quite getting WINZ to pay for stuff... I didn't know they'd do that! I'll have to ask. ;) 

10 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Level 100 is when you get them to pay for new 20'' tyres, to pass a WOF, to get to a job interview, in your VE Comodore. Seen it happen!

???

Coolant flange refitted. Thought I'd be clever and fit the hoses first, then fit the flange. The idea was that this might help orient the flange correctly, simplifying fitting the securing bolts. How wrong I was... My hands are scraped and bruised, and my fingertips feel numb.

Topped up coolant, drove it around a bit, saw the low coolant light come one, tightened the breather screw next to the reservoir ? (duh - forgot to do that to start with) , topped up coolant again, drove some more...
No sign of any leaks. Will check again in the morning.