M3AN

FS: E36 M3 Evo Steering Rack

As it says on the box, 150 kms, clean, no leaks, worked fine when it was removed.

$150 or near offer.

Pickup in Ellerslie preferred but can probably ship at buyer's expense.

SteeringRack01.jpg

SteeringRack02.jpg

I don't suppose you have any other front suspension bits, knuckles, Lower control arms, etc. at all...??

No, I'm afraid not @E30 325i Rag-Top.

apart from the ratio whats the difference between it and a stock 328 rack?

Edited by 3pedals

To be honest I'm not sure there's any difference at all. I've not found any authoritative sources that describe any differences and I don't claim any.

If I thought it was a worth the effort I'd chuck it in the 328 but that one ain't broke.

There are all sorts of claims out in the wild about BMW steering racks, I don't trust most of it.

Would this be better than a 320i rack? 

How many turns from lock to lock if you can check.

Cheers

Did a bit of mental dredging - hope Dave is okay with the response - apology offered in advance ( if necessary). 

The M3 Evo rack is a variable speed rack that is slightly slower than the stock E36 one however it is often thought to be faster because it is 0.2 turns less lock to lock,  the reduction in turns is because the range of the rack is reduced  to stop wider tyres hitting the inner arches on full lock. 

The ratio was slowed in the middle to give more (gearing) leverage to counter the increased caster - An Evo would be pretty heavy with a fast rack ,  high caster and the modest  level of assistance BMW employed to retain feel in the E36/ E46 era.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No apology required.

I'm actually running a heavier rack in the M3 and, aside from the first time I drove it, I don't notice the extra weight now... in fact I'm going to an even heavier one when I get the time, it's sitting in the garage waiting.

The lock stops have been removed from the rack I'm selling but I have a new OE set still in the box if they're required.

Here's information that I've saved from elsewhere, does this plus the info from @3pedals above answer your questions @digitalashley?

Z3 M racks and '96+ E36 M3 racks are the same.
- PROGRESSIVE ratio (rack is slower on-center, quicker towards L&R rack locks)
- 45.5 mm of linear rack travel on-center per 1 360 degree rotation input.
- 145.6 mm of total rack travel (translates to 3.2 turns L2L)
- installed 15.6:1 mean ratio
- Same p/n rack as E36 non-M, but locks were modified to shorten gear travel from 154.7 to 145.6mm

As for "better" well that's subjective so I'll let you make that call. :)

Boomp...

I'll have to check my rack lock to lock to compare but it does sound better to me. But I might not have an extra 100 or so atm now. Going to purchase myself another BMW