Sign in to follow this  
Simca

Legality of cheap adjustables?

I'm currently still looking at suspension options for my E30 and have started looking into cheap adjustables. From Europe one can get very cheap adjustable suspension, I was just wondering what the legality was of power quality suspension set ups in cars. Does the suspension have to be made by a reputable company to be certable, like wheels, or can you just Chuck anything in there and hope it stays?

You get what you pay for with these things, personally I think there are some parts you shouldn't cheap out on. 

Join and ask, making a post with the specs / details of what you intend to buy on here, http://lvvta.proboards.com

They have actual Lvvta cert people that frequent them that will be able to guide you so you can have a road worthy modified vehicle. 

Edited by Michael.

Most kit regardless of price could be fitted, but cheap suspension is a waste of time.  Height adjustable suspension will require certification regardless of source or price, but cheap parts will wear fast, ride badly, and probably not give any sort of long term solution. 

Cheap adjustable suspension is useful for one thing - lowering (and looks). And there are certification rules around how low is legal. The certification you get will detail this, and the police will check to ensure you are using the car within those limits.

IMO, more trouble than it can possibly be worth. 

If it's for an E30 it probably still uses the original cast knuckle at the bottom of the strut and will require welding to the strut tube I would imagine? Getting this done properly is not a cheap process, especially if you want it to be crack tested, etc for a cert to be road legal. So, in the overall scheme of things saving a few $$$s on random no name parts is not going to get you very far. Speak to George Stocks in Mt. Wellington, they can supply and fit the parts for you.

Do you value good handling over just being low? I'd suggest just looking for a suitable shock/spring combination. You'd get better quality for you money, and you won't need a cert.

• Like 1

1000 ways to adjust, 999 of them wrong. 

Ive done coil overs on an e30, cheap BC golds, and they were rubbish not worth the effort in certing/welding/crack testing. Its worth doing its worth doing properly. 

I imported a german made TUV certed coil and spring package before the coil overs, and they were much nicer to drive and just worked far better out of the box. Was under a grand from memory.

Ah but can you drop it super low and drag the sump on the ground? Lets not forget its all about the look and handling be damned!

I can achieve the same by standing on one of my boys matchbox cars...

• Like 1

I think the more important question is if you are aware they are low quality and have doubts about whether they would get a cert, why the hell would you want to drive around on them?

• Like 3