Sign in to follow this  
spuckle

Octane rating question

I've got this sticker inside the fuel door in my Japanese import E39 530i.

Google translate says it says:

"Eneos Vigo"

"Unleaded High Octane"

From a bit of research, apparently in Japan "High Octane" is 96+ RON, and standard being 91+ RON.

I've been running it on UK standard fuel 95 RON, but should I switch to (what we call) Super Unleaded? This ranges from 97 RON to 99 RON depending on the garage, and can be significantly more expensive.

IMG_20180628_121704__01.jpg

Gut tells me 95 minimum would be suitable from my uneducated internet knowledge lol.

E39 was probably built before 98 RON was commen 

12 hours ago, Breaker said:

Gut tells me 95 minimum would be suitable from my uneducated internet knowledge lol.

E39 was probably built before 98 RON was commen 

High octane was available years before in Europe.

The mid 80's Audi Quattro we had was 10.5 CR (factory) & needed more than our 95 to run properly. It was K jet so with no electronics to compensate for lower octane.

Yes 95 will be fine, your "Super" would be better. Would be interesting for you do a milage/consumption test of both fuels & note the difference as to if it is viable or not

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hotwire said:

High octane was available years before in Europe.

The mid 80's Audi Quattro we had was 10.5 CR (factory) & needed more than our 95 to run properly. It was K jet so with no electronics to compensate for lower octane.

Yes 95 will be fine, your "Super" would be better. Would be interesting for you do a milage/consumption test of both fuels & note the difference as to if it is viable or not

It'd be interesting to do a consumption test, but can't see me keeping a consistent enough right foot for two whole tanks!

Although more expensiive I found the 530 sedan i had operated more smoothly on the 98 and gave a little better range to a tank. It would depend on what running you are doing. The 5ers are an open road cruiser not a city chugger.

Edited by allan

my old 535 which they said 91 was ok ran nicer and even got slightly better consumption on 96 (I think then) i used to run 91 just trundling to and from work.96 i f iwas was gonna be DRIVING