Sign in to follow this  
qube

Rudolph the Red Ti

aaaand another one..

It needed a super good clean inside and out. The interior had the typical sagging headlining and broken glovebox missing parcel tray etc.

Has been given a thorough clean now and reupholstered the headlining in nice brand new black fabric, already had the black sunvisors as it is motorsport, bought a new glovebox lid and parcel tray from pickapart and now looking much better than before. Any tips on how to restore the faded parcel tray without covering it in fabric? maybe a spray dye or something?

Drivers seat needs to be stitched up and picked up an armrest centre console to install, also the stereo is held on by black electrical tape.. will need to fix that but AUX works and sounds decent! 

Will need to be tinted but otherwise pretty good interior wise. Only issue is windows and sunroof just suddenly refuses to work and so I need to wait a few minutes then it will work again randomly. Strange! I think it had an aftermarket alarm at some point as it makes a weird beeping noise but not sure.

Exterior.. oh man, typical red paint. Hellrot, literally rotting away clearcoat on almost every panel. Overall needs some love.

Front nose panel and bumper, passenger guard is the worst. few dings here and there but its ok for now. 

Mechanically, again typical M44, does leak a couple drops of engine oil but doesnt seem too excessive. Idles nicely and revs freely, drives quite good also.

The 4 speed auto is the biggest let down, manual box would be ideal but it is what it is.

Anyway, some photos!

505AE4B3-7B16-4762-AD70-FC0ECB9F9C62.jpeg

7D86B595-140D-4CE6-9E3B-F81A89F8EE73.jpeg

2359FD1B-A8B1-4473-B8B5-56698B1E3C40.jpeg

D5324B7C-0FDA-4500-8E25-A54D59C7B7F1.jpeg

D1FF5920-BAD1-4347-A9BC-2E09E3932FD6.jpeg

7C07448E-1BCC-4970-B368-3335D773745B.jpeg

Edited by qube
  • Like 4

Heard plenty of stories re spraying parcel trays and no epic fails so I’d try that, just some fabric spray from repco or alike

Edited by Breaker

lol, you're insatiable, hope you got it for a steal!

2 x red Ti's at Zebra Onehunga if you need parts. They were still pretty complete a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

There isnt much i need because i dont want to spend money on panels and bumper parts. Planning to sand and spray diy. More fun this way anyway.

:)

2 minutes ago, qube said:

There isnt much i need because i dont want to spend money on panels and bumper parts. Planning to sand and spray diy. More fun this way anyway.

:)

And I didn't want to spend anything on the 328... but it sucked me in. The power to spend is strong with these old cars... ;)

Mind you most of it was bits I had lying around, $700 for a new cooling system, wheels, tyres, interior and suspension isn't that bad I suppose.

Front bumper is only $50... :D

Its supposed to be a cheap car but we both know its too easy to spend spend spend on these cars especially when parts are plentiful. Ugh. What have i done... again..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/30/2018 at 9:24 PM, qube said:

Its supposed to be a cheap car but we both know its too easy to spend spend spend on these cars especially when parts are plentiful. Ugh. What have i done... again..

I actually owned this car for a very short period, 1 month lol. I had to fill it up 3 times a week because of all the mileage I was doing. I ended up just buying an e53 Diesel and sold this to our mate :)

On 6/30/2018 at 9:24 PM, qube said:

How well I know that feeling!

Remember the 318Ci we bought...? (SJ - @EUROHO -knows it, too.) Yep - I'm struggling to keep my spending down. Replacing foglight bulbs today, and doing some remedial work on the cooling system (that flange on the back is a pig to get off, and worse to get back on!)

• Haha 1

Rudolph needed some new emblems so got some ebay Alpina ones for the lols... I think it looks cool :D

Also it has had some resprays on odd panels like nosepanel, one of the front guards, a door, the mirrors, sideskirt, top part of the rear bumper etc. still a work in progress.

Also picked up some clear taillights for the rear, installed an E46 centre armrest and tinted the side windows. 

Rear windscreen will be tinted soon and hopefully get the front bumper tidied up as its looking really bad.

Hopefully will have some new wheels on this soon too and get the central locking/windows sorted. 

E6A70575-4B80-4BC4-AE1F-8A29C34C00F0.jpeg

01C8B19A-BF52-4770-970A-E61B88B5D490.jpeg

Edited by qube
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, qube said:

Also it has had some resprays on odd panels like nosepanel, one of the front guards, a door, the mirrors, sideskirt, top part of the rear bumper etc. still a work in progress.

Looking good Kyu!

Are you doing the resprays yourself?

Colour matched spray can job! Tbh its not the best finish but better than peeling clearcoat and faded red

• Like 2

Custom fitted a Mini JCW grill to replace the ugly dual slats that come on the msport bumpers. Would have liked to get the m3 mesh but hard to find them and didnt want to use fence mesh or anything like that. 

A2218348-2174-47CF-BAD6-CDD51809BC68.png

• Like 2

Awesome little cars.

My brother and I are going to buy one of these as the base for a little tarmac hill climb car.

Should be a hoot. 

late to the party on this thread sorry.

but i KNEW there was something planned for this when i saw it in your driveway a month or two back ha

• Like 2

so it failed a WOF because the airbag light DOES NOT come on.. ever.

I will need to take the cluster out to see if it has a bulb behind there but if not then probably it has an airbag light on issue which is probably the case..

buggar!

that is probably the root problem, then someone was too cheap to by a bypass kit for $5 and pulled the bulb from the cluster.

meh

pulled cluster out and saw there was a dead bulb behind the airbag light. swapped with a working bulb and surely enough the airbag light comes and stays on.

then looked at the occupancy sensor and the bypass 'mod' has already been done to it but looking a bit dodgy so re-did it and will try to reset the light later see how it goes.