Sign in to follow this  
Amit

What should I look for when buying z4

Hello everyone,

I am a new member to this forum and about to buy my first BMW. I am planning on buying a z4 that comes with soft top. Its 2006 modal and had done 100k. What does everyone suggest that I should look for before buying it from a dealer in Auckland.

Many thanks in advance.

The Z4 is a good robust car.  The only weak point on the E85's is the location of the soft top motor.  The drain hole gets blocked and the motor rusts and dies in a puddle of water.  It can be relocated to avoid the problem.

• Like 1

The Z4 is a great car, almost regardless of the engine up front. I say almost: if buying one with the 2.0 N46 engine (in particular), ensure it has been meticulously maintained.

On 7/2/2018 at 8:27 AM, Amit said:

Hello everyone,

I am a new member to this forum and about to buy my first BMW. I am planning on buying a z4 that comes with soft top. Its 2006 modal and had done 100k. What does everyone suggest that I should look for before buying it from a dealer in Auckland.

Many thanks in advance.

This one? https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1568591528.htm?rsqid=78f9df3021034dccad374688e0096046

I will have a 2004 black z4 2.2L up for sale soonish

be less than $10k

• Like 1

They’re a great little car and potentially quite underrated. Mucher better improvement over the previous Z3.  I’ve now owned two (kinda missed the first one). Both facelift 3.0si with the N52 195kw motor and 6 speed auto/paddleshift. The si versions are generally better optioned with heated and electric seats, xenon and dynamic drive (sport option).

Agree with the drainhole issue for the soft top. I believe there was a small update on the facelift to combat this issue but I always ensure the drain holes are clear.

The ride is very firm, and while one had runflats and the other didn’t, I personally didn’t notice much difference between the two. I’ll switch to normal tires when the run-flats wear out.

What I enjoy is that you can drive with the top down and because you sit nice and low, well under the roll bars and screen, you are cocooned and don’t feel so exposed. Quite different to a four seater convertible where you feel the roof has just been sliced off and you’re open to the world. The big six also sounds great!

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 9:29 AM, NZ00Z3 said:

The Z4 is a good robust car.  The only weak point on the E85's is the location of the soft top motor.  The drain hole gets blocked and the motor rusts and dies in a puddle of water.  It can be relocated to avoid the problem.

Hello NZ0073

i have just posted a topic about my soft top motor under my name, hooked. I hadnt seen your post above before then. Do you have experience with replacing these?

Apologies Amit for pushing in on your topic.

On 7/3/2018 at 9:40 AM, gjm said:

The Z4 is a great car, almost regardless of the engine up front. I say almost: if buying one with the 2.0 N46 engine (in particular), ensure it has been meticulously maintained.

Can you get a Z4 with N46? ? I thought they were 6cyl only.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:31 PM, Olaf said:

Can you get a Z4 with N46? ? I thought they were 6cyl only.

N46B20O1 was used in the 2005-2008 E85 Z4 2.0i.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gjm said:

N46B20O1 was used in the 2005-2008 E85 Z4 2.0i.

stone me.  wonder how they drive?

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

stone me.  wonder how they drive?

Probably very nicely! Less power than the bigger 6s, or course, but possibly a better weight distribution.

But top down with the 6 is part of its character. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gjm said:

Probably very nicely! Less power than the bigger 6s, or course, but possibly a better weight distribution.

the 3.0 six was already 50:50.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 5:33 AM, Olaf said:

the 3.0 six was already 50:50.

I'd not checked for that. Suggests the 4-pot could have a rearwards weight (im)balance.