Sign in to follow this  
modz

E46 K Bus Issue?

I've finally got my E46 330ci back on the road and now have the final electrical gremlins to resolve before I'm happy with it.

I replaced:   Steering wheel / airbag, seats (retaining the original tensioners and wiring), BMW business stereo has been removed and not yet replaced.  All Pillar trims are removed for recovering.

Issues:

Airbag and seatbelt light on the dash

Indicators and hazards work on outside but not on dash

Stereo doesn't appear to have any power

Passenger wing mirror stuck up

Central lock doesn't work (not sure it did before tbh)

I haven't yet checked the dash cluster for backlight when lights are on, or high beam etc; but the above + a quick google indicate a K BUS issue to me.

Approach:

I'm planning to unplug the battery, remove, check & replace all fuses, re attach battery before going further with the K-BUS.

Is it worth getting my own Port Scanner to assist with codes?   I've been looking at Bluetooth > iOS ones.

Any other tips/tricks/suggestions appreciated

You want a scanner that can talk to all the computers in the car, not just the engine DME, so the bluetooth> iOS ones will likely not be your best choice.

Some people use the Foxwell 520 scanner. https://www.foxwelltech.com/product/item-340.html

I use INPA on a windows 10 surface pro.  Its cheap to set up and can talk to all computers https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2184573-The-Z3-Diagnostics-Thread-Instructions-Experiences-Discussions-Experimentation

Others will likely chime in with there preferred scanners

Champion, thanks for the advise.  That Z3 diagnostics page you linked makes for good reading.

2 hours ago, NZ00Z3 said:

You want a scanner that can talk to all the computers in the car, not just the engine DME, so the bluetooth> iOS ones will likely not be your best choice.

Some people use the Foxwell 520 scanner. https://www.foxwelltech.com/product/item-340.html

I use INPA on a windows 10 surface pro.  Its cheap to set up and can talk to all computers https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2184573-The-Z3-Diagnostics-Thread-Instructions-Experiences-Discussions-Experimentation

Others will likely chime in with there preferred scanners

Ok so I pulled the battery off for 20 mins, and then pulled and tested each fuse while the battery was off.  No blown fuses and everything in the correct location.

Stereo does now have power,  Instrument cluster has illumination, high beams and spotlights work

So the problems I'm left with (I suspect not all related)

No indicators/hazards/high beam don't show on dash

Airbag & seatbelt light illuminated

Central lock doesn't work

Passenger mirror doesn't fold down

I'll scanned it and clear codes before I do anything further, the battery has been in / out and flat in the last 6 months so no telling what is a red herring.

Side question, I have removed the Steering wheel controls from the steering wheel. Could this cause any related issues?

The airbag and seatbelt lights will illuminate if the seats or belts are disconnected whilst the battery is connected. They need to be reset with the right equipment, I doubt they're related to your other problems.

Thanks M3AN, makes sense. Will get that out the way and pursue the other items

9 hours ago, M3AN said:

The airbag and seatbelt lights will illuminate if the seats or belts are disconnected whilst the battery is connected. They need to be reset with the right equipment, I doubt they're related to your other problems.