3pedals

Local parts Pricing & Availability

Starting to to collect parts for my M52B28 rebuild which includes some OE parts---  local prices are just obscene,  the key parts for the build are:

• Cams - going for 257 deg and 10.15mm lift,
  • OE M50B25TU pistons - same bore as B28 but .73mm taller giving 11.2:1 compression 
  • lightweight alloy flywheel 

Local price is $4 grand for the pistons from several off shore sources the same OE parts are $1,900 - $2,400  landed  

Is anyone doing OE parts at reasonable prices locally - tried the usual independants - either don't do them or suggest AC BMW 

• Like 1

Same thing I noticed when buying suspension components.

Try Speed European (speed.co.nz) in the Mount - they've popped up in a few discussions recently and we've just sourced a water and tandem (power steering) pump for a Cayenne Turbo from them and we got those for a similar price as we could get from ECS or FCP (after shipping, duty, tax etc).

They're not holding stock but can get most stuff within a few weeks... for all I know they just buy off FCP like so many other local distributors do but if so they're adding only a small margin which, when balanced with the benefits of easy returns and consumer protection legislation, is worth it IMHO.

YMMV of course.

19 hours ago, Driftit said:

Why do you want OE pistons?  Just get performance pistons like JE or CP.  They are around $1000USD and you can get any profile you like.

• The first principle for me is genetic integrity - any enhancement should first come from within the BMW gene pool, hence the use of M parts  and geometry for suspension improvements
  • The second principle is - any enhancement regardless of source should be technically superior - ie the part should be demonstrably superior to the original - e.g Koni shocks,
  • The third principle is -any enhancement that adds a unique benefit may be considered if that benefit maintains the original quality- e.g  using the US M3 cams is a common choice  but sub--optimal in several respects, other cams are better matched and provide a better balance of benefits. 

Whilst JE and Wiseco make significant claims of quality etc. about their products, when measured against the Mahle OE product they have come up short in a few areas so far,  so; they are on the option list but require more research/ proof if they are  to make it further up the order. The OE pistons clearly meet the first principle and achieve the desired enhancement. 

The moderate increase in duration and lift I have selected retains the original quality of the valve train  and power delivery without compromise, and the alloy fly wheel sits between an OE  dual mass and single mass iron/steel  type due to the benefical dampening of the lower modulus Alloy- delivering on the third principle - a more responsive engine but without the buzz of the resonant single mass iron/ steel  flywheels. 

Edited by 3pedals

I have never had any issues with JE and CP pistons in the past.  The biggest benefit is the profiles available.

Not thought about an S motor instead of the rebuild?

25 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Not thought about an S motor instead of the rebuild?

Steps outside the 'enhancement framework'  and really want to keep it as an enhanced 328 not a 'repowered / wannabe M3'  

Is taking your cams to kelford cams to spec to how you want not an option?

if by that you are sugegsting a re grind witha reduced back radius - NO its not an option - been there done that did not like the experience.

6 hours ago, 3pedals said:

if by that you are sugegsting a re grind witha reduced back radius - NO its not an option - been there done that did not like the experience.

Agree, not a fan of small base circle cams. 

On 7/3/2018 at 4:07 PM, 3pedals said:

Steps outside the 'enhancement framework'  and really want to keep it as an enhanced 328 not a 'repowered / wannabe M3'  

Wannabe M3 > 328.  Performance wise.  Probably in value too.

Edited by Driftit

True Dan, and probably cheaper and easier to do as well.

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/mobile/cp-carrillo-forged-piston-set-bmw-m52-p1067.aspx

Just a link I had in my phone.

What are the factory mahle pistons made out of? Do you have the piston/pin weight to compare. 

I would think that the mahle pistons are a hyperutectic with high silicone content.? 

Depends on what you want to do. 

On 7/5/2018 at 11:42 PM, Mr Vapour said:

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/mobile/cp-carrillo-forged-piston-set-bmw-m52-p1067.aspx

Just a link I had in my phone.

What are the factory mahle pistons made out of? Do you have the piston/pin weight to compare. 

I would think that the mahle pistons are a hyperutectic with high silicone content.? 

Depends on what you want to do. 

I would have thought so too.  Well at least that is the case with Nissan factory pistons.  Built for longevity.