Sign in to follow this  
Maunde

Typical OEM parts to replace on an M52B25

Hello everyone,

As I mentioned in the general discussions, I am looking to purchase an M52 or similar in the near(ish) future. Before I swap the engine into the car, I would like to know which upgrades are most recommended. I am not going for power, I am going for reliability.

I am currently aware of the two following reliability upgrades:

- Replacing thermostat housing with aluminium.

- Replacing waterpump pulley with aluminium

Are there any other big things to replace that will improve the reliability? At this stage I would not be interested in replacing cam, crank or pistons.

Thanks again for the help,

Maunde

If you're going to do water pump and thermostat and housing (all a good idea) then you should consider replacing the associated coolant hoses, expansion tank, level sensor and radiator. Hoses can be any brand really but I'd stick with OE sensor and expansion tank and an OEM (Behr) radiator. I'd price it all up at FCP Euro and Schmiedmann to compare.

Depending on which car the M52 comes in you may have the "small" radiator option and if that's the case then a good upgrade is the "warm climate" setup. If the car's an import from Japan it will most likely come with a warm climate version. Both are quite different and require different parts so it's best to research that first.

Other than that these things are pretty damn robust so nothing other "big" to really worry about for reliability.

ECS Tuning, they are just like schmiedmann but waaaay faster and better customer service :)

And typically ECS are way more expensive and crazy shipping prices! 

Schmiedmann's shipping prices are also creeping up and that's why I'm finding FCP a better bet these days. I've never found ECS to be price competitive. 

I bought most of my 130 parts from them, was cheaper than schmiedmann. Shipping price makes sense if you buy a bunch at once, I agree though small things are pricey. My last (in stock) order from Schmiedmann took 6 weeks to ship, one before that was a month... they used to be good.

Thanks a lot guys! The plan when buying the engine would be the following:

-Replacing coolant parts (alloy parts where once were plastic)

-Replacing gaskets and seals

-Replacing pumps

-Replacing all filters etc

Since I'll be swapping the engine into a non BMW, I figured it'd be best to do all these things at once.

I have to ask. What are you swapping it into that an M52B25 is your choice?

To be honest I am unsure as to what l6 I'd like, any is fine, there just seemed to be more available haha.

The plan is to put it into an MGB GT

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Maunde said:

To be honest I am unsure as to what l6 I'd like, any is fine, there just seemed to be more available haha.

The plan is to put it into an MGB GT

That might require some suspension upgrades...

Well it would be lighter and more powerful than the lump that was in the 6 cylinder MG, the MGC.

Freaky, I was thinking today that an N52B30 would be really fun in a Lotus 7 :D 50kW more power and 30kg less weight than an M52. Wiring would probably be fun however. 

• Like 1

To be honest I am up for any bmw l6, whichever is cheapest/most reliable

20 minutes ago, jom said:

That might require some suspension upgrades...

This is true haha