Sign in to follow this  
tonylauno1

Staggered wheel diameter

Has anyone gone for the bigger alloy at rear look?

ie front 225/45/17 & Rear 225/40/18

Since the rear has much more "body" compared to front, same size alloy makes rear alloy look smaller.

These days, some models have bigger rear wheels which make the car look more proportional from the side view, however their tyre sidewall seems to be about the same which means rear alloy with tyre will have bigger overall diameter. I'm sure everything is calibrated correctly by engineers.

One thing I wonder is, if I go for Front 225/45/17 & Rear 225/40/18, the alloy will look more proportional but I don't know how the smaller rear tyre sidewall will look since I can't increase the sidewall height as I need to keep to the same overall diameter.

Just can't imagine how rear with look with less tyre sidewall, will it look funny? I know if I used 225/45/18 then it will looks better since nothing has changed except for bigger alloy.

Why not just run a wider rear wheel? With a smaller aspect ratio on the rear the setup looks balanced. 

11 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

Why not just run a wider rear wheel? With a smaller aspect ratio on the rear the setup looks balanced. 

Can run wider rear tyres but it's the look from the side. Wider rear wheels are still the same 17" alloy, sidewall height are still the same. 

To eliminate the wider tyres from being the focus of this thread, let's say

225/45/17 & 255/35/18

Note that 225/45/17 & 255/40/17 OR 225/40/18 & 255/35/18 actually looks the same from the side, they only look different when you view it from the front or back.

The point is the same alloy diameter on rear looks smaller since there's more metal above it, more "body". It's like asking an adult and a child to stand side by side and hold a can of Coke. The can of Coke will look smaller in front of the adult.

Ok so this is all about how something looks rather than how something performs?

It would be interesting to see a pic of a bmw where someone has done this so we can visualize it.

32 minutes ago, zero said:

It would be interesting to see a pic of a bmw where someone has done this so we can visualize it.

Had a quick look on google, not a bmw but still gets the point across I guess. 

main-qimg-12189377a9d5199d8d9827d07782d3ef-c.jpg.13de6d604058b68afadeaea450009636.jpg

Hmmm, not my thing.......

There was a guy who ran double staggered Hartges on his e30. Can't for the life find it now but looked good

11 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

Ok so this is all about how something looks rather than how something performs?

Absolutely :)

Sometimes I put 255 at rear, sometimes 245 depending on which is cheaper, it's been a while since I last had 225. It's oversteer too much, I'm more confident and can push more when it understeers. If I have really crappy tyre at front, I'm happy to put really good 225 tyre at rear.

I do care about how it drives too but whether it's 255 or 225 at rear, I still want the aesthetics side of it :)

10 hours ago, qube said:

my mind can only picture this..

jd1.jpg

LOL now I can't get that out of my mind. That never crossed my mind, haven't seen a tractor since I went to the field days 10 years ago.

• Haha 1

Michelin Pasture Sport 4S on those new John Deere’s I heard. 

Would still be interesting to see it on a bmw e36, e39, e46 as the rear has visibly more "body" above wheel arch compared to front.

That Mustang certainly gets the point across, rear wheel looks like 2-3 inches bigger than front and the amount of body directly above wheel arch is very similar so in this case, rear wheel looks much bigger than it needs.

I'll be searching double staggered e30 on Google ?

8 minutes ago, qube said:

Michelin Pasture Sport 4S on those new John Deere’s I heard. 

I have new 225 Michelin Pilot 4 (not S) on front and half worn 245 GY Eagle D5 on rear. In dry I can accelerate around roundabout and car with rotate, front grip is amazing. I'm sure it will oversteer if I step on it but I haven't tried.

In wet, I can't accelerate too much around corners, get decent speed, front will not lose grip, I have spun when I was testing how much traction I have in wet with no car nor pedestrian in sight in large open space

8 hours ago, zero said:

Actually a friend pointed out the answer, here's a pic

F82 M4 GTS has 19"front & 20"rear

bmw_m4_gts.jpg

• Like 2