Sign in to follow this  
Thefqx

255/40/17 Tyres

I have this size on the rear of my E90 335i. This seems to be a reasonably uncommon size, restricting what tyres I can get as a matching set. What have other people done here? Guy at the tyre shop said it was common to go to a 245/40/17, is this a reasonable option?

It can depend on a lot of things like wheel width.

upload a photo of your car showing the wheels and I can help you :)

Hyper has the very good Hankook S1 Evo 2 in that size for 250 each.

Dunlop Sport 050+ is also available, so perhaps try a local beaurepaires?

It's hard to find good performance tyres for that size. Last time I checked the Hankook s1 Evo 2 was the only thing available locally that I would of used

I have run both 255's and 245's on my style 194's and style 68's.

Both work fine, and I like the slightly wider 255's on my e46's, but bear in mind the speedo will read slightly out if you use the non stock size.

Yeah they are the style 194s. How do the Hankooks rate vs the Dunlop 050+, vs something like RE003s?

I've never used the hankooks or the dunlops, but I'm sure other have and can chime in.

either of those are okay but what tyres do you have on the front? can you get a matching set? re003 is not much more if any.

Have you considered changing wheels to 18"? 

I'll be changing all four tyres so looking for a matching set preferably. RE003s not available in 255, only 245.

Bridgestone S01 appears to be available if you want to go with them.  Hankook would be up there with the RE003 and generally rank a little behind Michelin and Continental but are usually cheaper, haven't heard much about the Dunlop since I think it is quite new.

Edited by GorGasm

Ive got Evo2's on my Merc but can't compare them to RE003's on a BMW. They did offer similar performance on tyre tests and do the job fine. Never used S01's but from experience Michellin PS4's are significantly better than the RE003's performance wise.

RE-003 are okay, not worth getting too excited over. Very well marketed though. 

Michelin PS4 are wonderful 

The Hankook are good value for money

laufenn lk01 best budget brand (its a sub brand of hankook)

46 minutes ago, dirtydoogle said:

RE-003 are okay, not worth getting too excited over. Very well marketed though. 

Michelin PS4 are wonderful 

The Hankook are good value for money

The PS4 are a perfect match for a 335i especially if it's tuned. 

Eagle F1 Assymetrics are great too, in my experience they're less grippy than a PS4 in the dry but grippier in the wet. Not by a huge margin though. So in NZ either of them are a good option...
Seeing as I have a set of wheels with each,  maybe I should swap back to the Goodyears for whats left of winter :D 

Edited by Matth5

22 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

Michelin PS3 & 4 are available in that size and they are a performance tyres the Hankooks are not. 

Where are they available? 

Apparently Michelins are "buy one, get one half price" currently.

Right @aja540i? It makes your pair about the same price as a SET of 5x RE003's for me :lol:

9 hours ago, Allanw said:

Apparently Michelins are "buy one, get one half price" currently.

Right @aja540i? It makes your pair about the same price as a SET of 5x RE003's for me :lol:

Yeah, until the end of August I think. There Is probably more rubber In my 2 rear tyres than your set of 5 though! ;)

22 minutes ago, aja540i said:

Yeah, until the end of August I think. There Is probably more rubber In my 2 rear tyres than your set of 5 though! ;)

I only have (nearly) half the power going through them... but mine is fed through all 4... so each of yours have to cope with 4 times the power... so they should really be 4x the price :lol: Tell "The Accountant" you're getting a bargain.