Sign in to follow this  
MrDevine

2003 e39 540i MSport – Valuation

Hi Team – although I've enjoyed owning my 3rd 540i – I'm bored two years in and looking for something different to drive. Have my eye on a W210 E55 at the moment. It's been awesome on long runs from Auckland to my place in the Hokianga and I'd like something similar (E55 fits the bill)

Any thoughts on valuation for a 2003 540i with 132k on the clock? Is stock apart from BBS wheels and aftermarket stereo. I have maintained it at The Toy Shop with annual services. Recent work includes 2 x coils, cam covers and alternator.  Michelin Pilot Sports all around installed last year. Condition wise I'd say 8/10.

I know the market pay what it will pay, I note that a 2002 540i that looked rough with 200 plus kms sold for $5250 recently.

My thoughts on this example: $9000

Any thoughts or interest welcomed.

Ace,

Mr D.

IMG_0690.JPG

Edited by MrDevine
Spelling and to insert price
  • Like 1

It really depends, what the market thinks and how long you are happy to wait for a sale, a member here sold his example for under 3K, I forget the mileage, but it took over a year to sell, with the price dropping every few months.

So if you’re in a hurry you could probably try for 6 or 7k, motorsports do benefit form the Motorsport tax, and the M62TU is better in my opinion.  

For someone dead set on a low mileage late mode 540 Motorsport in silver, you’d probably be able to get more than 8K... 

But as ever; things are only worth what someone will pay for them.

make use of the expired auction search tool on Trademe.

@EUROLESS Yes agree – will admit I'd not seen a runout 2003 for sale on TM when I brought it so paid a premium ($11k).

Might run a $1 auction and see how it lands if the E55 purchase comes through. 

As above i don't see anyone paying 9k unless they really wanted a low k etc example. 7-8k would be a fair asking price

Wheels alone worth $1500 and with michelin tyres $2000 maybe a bit more.

Its too bad because people wont see the value added from the wheels and tyres.

• Like 1

TBH the KM is the only thing going for it over any other auto import silver 540i, and auto import silver 540i dont go for much these days. As Kyu said, the wheels although nice, wont help it make much more money. Might almost be worth picking up a cheap set of standard motorsport wheels and selling the BBS separately?

The other issue is that anyone who knows BMWs will know the timing chains are a ticking time bomb since they havent been done.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 4:00 PM, qube said:

Wheels alone worth $1500 and with michelin tyres $2000 maybe a bit more.

Its too bad because people wont see the value added from the wheels and tyres.

would the wheels fit a 2002 M5

Seems like the OP has traded in the car as I saw it pop up on a dealer listing unless its a consignment sale.

The wheels look similar if not same as what I have which are BBS RS-GT aka RS 911/912.

18x8.5 ET15 and 18x9.5 ET22 with 74.1mm CB to suit E39 and would fit the M5 like a glove.

29249599_10156300090513184_3880440889658572800_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=4a438e0be8a700e46fb5a71d557d1418&oe=5C0A3174

4 hours ago, qube said:

Seems like the OP has traded in the car as I saw it pop up on a dealer listing unless its a consignment sale.

The wheels look similar if not same as what I have which are BBS RS-GT aka RS 911/912.

18x8.5 ET15 and 18x9.5 ET22 with 74.1mm CB to suit E39 and would fit the M5 like a glove.

29249599_10156300090513184_3880440889658572800_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=4a438e0be8a700e46fb5a71d557d1418&oe=5C0A3174

Nice wheels, no tires with yours ? are you selling yours. was the listing of the 540i with the wheelson it or not. i am loking to put a set on my other M5 and keep the original wheels as they are in mint original condition.

Hey Team – I traded the 540i for an R129 500SL. I think Showcars would have let it go circa $7500 – I was happy to drive in and drive out not having to deal with trademe. Was a little surprised how quickly it sold however a great whip and well maintained of course.

Ace, Mr D

Ended up buying this car, thanks for keeping it in good knick. I literally saw it on TradeMe that morning... Was originally looking at a C55 AMG/Audi S5 but glad to have got an E39 for less coin and with a service history, I had originally written off buying an E39 as they were too old. Planning to keep it for a couple of years and maintain it to the same standard. 

Open to trading the BBS wheels for a set of standard E39 wheels (preferrably M5/M par style) if anyone is interested.

Also MrDevine, do you know how to get the leather piece out holding the headunit in? Might have to drop part of the dash but can't see anywhere obvious where it was mounted.

Edited by david522
  • Like 2

Hey David – well done! Nigel is a good guy out at Showcars eh?

Sorry I'm not sure about the head unit, I was contemplating putting in a Dinavin unit which is made for that space and has all the latest tech (or restoring it to factory).

PM If you want to know anything else.