Sign in to follow this  
SavageXii

Help Please - E36 328i with 325i motor

Hey guys,

I have a 328i with a blown motor, and sourced a very low km m50b25 non vanos engine, will the x20 from the m50b25nv engine have the same pin out as the later model x20? and if so is it a matter of installing the new motor and plug and play. or will EWS play up?

if installing an older non-ews motor into an ews car it will only fire the cylinders if one of the wires is cut on the round 25 pin connector (you also need the dme from the older engine)

From an old post of mine:

Got the engine running by cutting green wire #7 in the front 25pin engine harness plug, after some research i found

this is the signal wire for the ews system to tell the dme not to fire spark / inject fuel.

Edited by Drea//Mer

you need all the parts off the donar m50b25 car , engine loom , ecu , maf all the engine sensors etc ,

is the car manual or auto , if auto , then they may be issues with the  trans loom and trans computer wiring etc

then you will need to bypass the ews starter wires at the ews box so it will crank etc . proably easier to just buy a proper engine , can be a m50b25tu or m52b25 etc , then you can just use all your original electrics etc

On 7/10/2018 at 7:19 AM, Drea//Mer said:

if installing an older non-ews motor into an ews car it will only fire the cylinders if one of the wires is cut on the round 25 pin connector (you also need the dme from the older engine)

From an old post of mine:

Even if you have the original key, ews system, everything factory standard apart from the engine loom plug and play? I guess if it doesnt start ill just cut the wire. Cheers for the info

On 7/10/2018 at 11:15 AM, BM WORLD said:

you need all the parts off the donar m50b25 car , engine loom , ecu , maf all the engine sensors etc ,

is the car manual or auto , if auto , then they may be issues with the  trans loom and trans computer wiring etc

then you will need to bypass the ews starter wires at the ews box so it will crank etc . proably easier to just buy a proper engine , can be a m50b25tu or m52b25 etc , then you can just use all your original electrics etc

and I have the m50b25 engine, loom, ecu, and all sensors etc it was from an auto into an auto but am doing a manual conversion at the same time. What does the EWS talk to in the engine bay that lets it know its not longer the original engine anyway to retain that? Cheers

*Edit: yeah will need to bypass ews as the dme is gone "Duh", also have a very strange plug ill upload a picture of later if anyone knows what it is. and brent i might need a m50 cluster if this one doesnt work thanks.

Edited by SavageXii

have the car cranking now, but not starting. I was sure I had 12v switched at the fp relay a few days ago, but now im not getting switched 12v at the fp relay, nor the main dme relay. but i do have constant 12v at fp, which works when bridging, and two 12v constants at main dme. Where can I go from here to find out why im not getting switched 12v?