Sign in to follow this  
michhod

BMW Running cost

Bought my BMW E60 550i 17/12/2016 with 79000 ks on it... It now has 96000 on it and has cost $4235 in mainly electrical but also mechanical repairs...

thats $9/day..$63/week..273/month and $3280/year... Well done BMW, ya winning..?

Ouch!  More reason for me to stick with the 39?

• Like 2

So 25c/km in repairs? Fantastic... 

What were the larger repairs? 

I've not had to do any repairs to my X5 in the 8 months I've had it, purchased at 240km now done 256km.  

8 hours ago, michhod said:

Bought my BMW E60 550i 17/12/2016 with 79000 ks on it... It now has 96000 on it and has cost $4235 in mainly electrical but also mechanical repairs...

thats $9/day..$63/week..273/month and $3280/year... Well done BMW, ya winning..?

That's not bad... compared to my M5!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Meh, you gotta pay to play.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, michhod said:

Import or NZ new?

Should of kept the E34

• Like 1

550i.  Oh well get ready for much more expensive repairs.  When those valve guides die...

You're biggest cost is when you realise depreciation. 

I don’t even want to think about totaling what I’ve spent so far?

Edited by Karter16

yeah good news...

just failed a warrant of fitness (Vtnz) due excessive smoke (outta the exhaust) and oil leaks on the motor ?... 7000NZD's to sort issues out apparently. Damn and blast , everything that i've heard about these vehicles (550 e60) is coming true...they are weak, poorly made, and use inferior products and materials?... well, especially the motors.. no no hang on, yeah and the electrics..oh yeah and the sensors and don't forget battery leads...?

So the question is how can an honest man sell it, without having to lie on behalf of BMW AG... '"cause they make weak, brittle, inferior, unreliable, cars these days".(thats only my opinion of cause). I mean how else could you explain it;  a vehcle 12 years old with only 100000 ks, only really good for spare parts now.

The bitch of cause, is that Ive recently spent, 500nzd on a spare wheel kit, so's i could run Michen sp4 tyres 1200nzd, and  1300nzd on a 100k service. The other bitch is that I've been nursing it really (well mostly) after learning of potential issue just after i'd purchased it

Now lets have some fun and add that all up! 4000 + 7000 + 500 + 1200  + 1300 = 14000 New Zealand dollars...yes yes I know, ya can't really add servicing and tyre cost's as the they are acceptable(?!) expenses (running costs) of any vehicle...however that's 11ks in repairs in 2 years of ownership and only 20ks travelled which is totally unexceptable and outrageous for a vehicle of this ilk in my view. Yes indeed folks my 20 year love affair with bmw is about over...

...so the question also is what should I do: open the taps and run it til she blows, use it as a trade in ($7000 (been offered)) and keep my mouth shut?, set a fair price (private sale) and explain the issues... but the rub, what to get now? toyota, holden, ford, holy smokes!

the thing cost me $17000 dec 2016 thats close to 90% devaluation?

Anyway a rant for the ages (sorry folks)

IMG_7225_main.thumb.jpg.da14d5892b67ff19a8dac4e03180209b.jpg

Edited by michhod
delete a photo and add more text
  • Like 2

My love affair with Euros slowed in the year 2000 and is now over. I've seen far too much heartache caused to families with late  model, low km's money pits.

• Like 1

The problem is depreciation, it was a 6 figure car when it was new, unfortunately parts to fix to not depreciate at the same rate. We have a market that supports importing more cars and scrapping the ones we have, things like aging high end euros do not have much value in that market. 

Sounds like you bought a lemon to be honest, and werent prepared for the fact that it wasnt going to be cheap to look after. How did you spend so much money on servicing and not get told of, or notice, the oil leaks and smoke??

Seems about right for a V8 e60?  I spent about $5k in the first year, and I think I've spent about $5-6k in the second.  Maintained to a very high standard, though.  Yep, it's a lot.  

I just look at the $160k-odd car that I bought for cents in the dollar, and it drives like new one, and like nothing else I could buy for the entry cost plus all I've spent on it.  Importantly, it makes me smile every time I drive it.  I can drive AKL-WLG and feel relaxed and refreshed on arrival.  These are things I'm unlikely to get from the sensible option (Camry/Mazda 6/Commodore etc).

I figure the next year should be less expensive.  Be time for a full set of rubber, though.

And as someone earlier said:  you play, you pay.

Selling the most reliable BMW V8 ever made and buying one of the most known problematic ones. Pay to play or just caught slipping?

Sure its low k's but its probably been sitting in Japan traffic most of its life. K's are irrelevant in many aspects but so many people are so obsessed about the arbitrary figure.   

As for the question - Trade it in for whatever fits your criteria. It's easy to emotional when scorned but its only 1 bad car ending your love affair then i wouldn't say it was really love at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dirtydoogle said:

I think the only way forward is to buy an e55

that'll put it into perspective! ?

You could pick up a Lexus V8 for a little more than the repair cost you’ve been quoted. 

If you want to keep it I would get a second quote on the valve stem seals, that does seem high. 

This V8 is one of the key reasons I got a MBI. Only thing is mine likes to nickel and dime me to death just below the insurance excess! 

• Haha 1

E55 is pretty reliable and a sh*t load faster.  They handle like a rudderless oil tanker though.  Just fix your car and keep going for a few years.

• Like 2

Maybe I should have been more strern when I said the valve guides will die. 

E60 V8s are affordable to buy for a reason.

My E60 530D however was a great car. 210000kms (NZ kms) and not one issue. 

First problem is going to VTNZ and having their failed, unreasonable and unrealistic mechanics inspect it. 

I would perhaps steam clean or brake clean the oil leaks on it. 

Maybe run some thicker oil (when does it smoke, under load, on over run, after sitting idle for a few minutes?). 

Maybe trade in on an E46 330i, E39 or E60 530i, depending what you require of a car. 

Its a bugger BMW have gone from some of the strongest engines from the 70s-80s and into the 1990s to the fragile crap they've put out over the past 15-20 years M Cars included.  

• Like 4

Chuck some thick oil and smoke stop in it, get it through a wof, and trade it in (or send to turners) asap.

Sucks though, what a gorgeous colour!

On 12/26/2018 at 10:45 PM, KwS said:

Chuck some thick oil and smoke stop in it, get it through a wof, and trade it in (or send to turners) asap.

Sucks though, what a gorgeous colour!

Agree, if you wait a month & take it somewhere else the old wof sheet dies. The grade of oil could be causing it to smoke more than normal

how much ya spend on the Pride of BMW Ag ltd.inc. this year Michael? "only $20 fella's" ...yes one litre of "thick" motor oil only!.

..fingers and toes xsed however goin' ford ?