Sign in to follow this  
michhod

BMW Running cost

My F30 is covered under BMWs service and warranty plan ?

But between my last post in this thread and when I traded it in Sept my X5 needed only rear brakes and oil changes. 

I’ll see myself out.

5 hours ago, michhod said:

..fingers and toes xsed however goin' ford ?

Out of the frying pan and into the fire!  Google "Ford Automatic Transmission issues"

Ford. You are not good at picking vehicles. Avoid at all costs. Especially the Ranger. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Driftit said:

Ford. You are not good at picking vehicles. Avoid at all costs. Especially the Ranger. 

But how will people know I’m a cashed up Ponsonby tradie without a blacked out Ranger? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

it has cost me nearly $10k for 5 years of ownership of a 2005 525i...

everything they say could go wrong has...

and i'm doing oil filter housing and cooler gasket this week

and two rear upper arm bushes are on the way from the states...

and front left sway bar link also broken 

and i still have a broken CCC and leaking oil pan gasket to replace... for which i don't have money or time...

that said, the engine performs like new now and i love driving it

Edited by lche059

The loss I just realized on my M5 was painful.  That was the hardest part of the sale to be honest.

$20k depreciation. $4k warranty, maybe $5k in maintenance?  Then cost of fuel.  All for just over 3 years and 26k kms.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/28/2019 at 11:52 PM, Driftit said:

Great generalisation.

I’ve done 74,000k in the Falcon and replaced the diff bush only apart from servicing.

A mate is on his second Ranger, after 134,000k combined, he’s had a window regulator fail under warranty.

135i/335i owners please step up with “routine” maintenance.

• Like 1

Sounds like the Thais are better at screwing things together than the Aussies then.

The BAII Falcon I had as a company car was always going back for repair, and the bosses' Territory was even worse - best one was when the driver's window just dropped down into the door as he was heading to the airport... in the rain!

3 hours ago, GorGasm said:

The loss I just realized on my M5 was painful.  That was the hardest part of the sale to be honest.

$20k depreciation. $4k warranty, maybe $5k in maintenance?  Then cost of fuel.  All for just over 3 years and 26k kms.

On 7/22/2018 at 7:46 PM, m325i said:

Your biggest cost is when you realise depreciation. 

Maintenance is nothing if the car has bottomed out, or maintains value. This is my justification for continuing to daily an e46 m3. Same would go for E39 M5. If you'd hung onto an e30 motorsport from the early 2000s you'd be up! Even some Ferrari's  can work out cheaper than a new 3 series if you have the capital. 

Edited by m325i
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Sounds like the Thais are better at screwing things together than the Aussies then.

The BAII Falcon I had as a company car was always going back for repair, and the bosses' Territory was even worse - best one was when the driver's window just dropped down into the door as he was heading to the airport... in the rain!

Not really, another friend had a bf for 130,000k with zero going wrong. My uncle ran a Territory Turbo for 140,000k with nothing wrong either, but keep up the generalising.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Palazzo said:

Not really, another friend had a bf for 130,000k with zero going wrong. My uncle ran a Territory Turbo for 140,000k with nothing wrong either, but keep up the generalising.

Before the rise of the Toyota Hybrid, thousands and thousands of Aus and kiwi taxi operators kept going back to the Falcon for decades. 12 years on and there are still BF wagons getting around in Aussie as cabs. Enough said. 

• Like 1

Had an EL falcon xr6 in the family from new, did 385,000 km before I sold it, the only things that ever failed were 

bushes, balljoints and shocks at between 200 and 300, an intake manifold gasket at 350,000km and a coil at 370,000.

Just did fluids and 2 batteries apart from that.

Edited by andrewm
  • Like 1

Yeah, I’ve had several. 
highest mileage was an AU XR6 Ute at over 650,000km when I sold it. All original but first gear synchro wasn’t too flash. I know where this Ute is and am gonna try and buy it back in a couple of weeks. 
next was an AU Fairlane at 570 ish k

then a whole lot between 530k down to 80k. 
no major dramas. The odd wheel bearing, tie road end etc as expected.
Easy to work on, parts are cheap asf, great long distance cruisers and they just go forever. 

As with most cars that have aged by time or mileage they aren’t without their faults but compared to anything Euro from the last 15-20 years they’re a walk in the park. 

Edited by coop
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, coop said:

Before the rise of the Toyota Hybrid, thousands and thousands of kiwi taxi operators gave up going back to the Falcon & Commodore after decades of misery, in favour of reliable vehicles such as Nissan's Maxima, and Toyota's Camry. 12 years on we're squeezing into Prius, and the Falcons and Commodores are mere footnotes; tipping into something reliable and cheap to run was a breeze after the stranglehold was broken in the early 00's.

Fixed that for ya ?

Taxi drivers loathed to spend a penny on those Falcons and Commodores. They basically ran on bare bones maintenance.