Sign in to follow this  
JD01JD

Just bought an e34 540i

As the title says I just bought myself a 1993 e34 540i auto sedan. Currently throwing lots of money at it (not just at the petrol station either), I'm currently on my second FCP Euro order...

Its my first BMW and I think I've been converted.

Now to find some wheels... anyone got a set of style 66? 

• Like 1

Ooo very nice.

My first BMW was also a 1993 540i

Do miss it sometimes!

Have any pictures of your machine? 

Nice choice and welcome.

Have you priced up a manual conversion yet? ?

I'll post some pictures once its a bit tidier - cosmetic condition isn't the best on this car...

Those style 42s look nice but I'm after a set of 17s, style 66s are quite common and I like them - although every set I've seen people are asking a bit too much for them. If anyone has a set of OEM wheels that would suit an e34 I'd be open to suggestions. I really need something to replace the OEM style 5s, the only tyres you can get for them now are supercats and a few other budgets tyres.

I did think about a manual conversion, stopped when I saw the price / lack of availability of the 6 speed...

• Like 1

I got some E34 throwing stars but probably a bit much

• Confused 1

Why do you say "a bit much"?

I love those wheels, have ever since I saw them way back when I was dreaming of owning a BMW.

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

get in my dm's 

On 7/12/2018 at 10:53 PM, JD01JD said:

As the title says I just bought myself a 1993 e34 540i auto sedan. Currently throwing lots of money at it (not just at the petrol station either), I'm currently on my second FCP Euro order...

Its my first BMW and I think I've been converted.

Now to find some wheels... anyone got a set of style 66? 

bear in mind all style 66 are E39 fitment and require spacer rings so they are hubcentric when fitting to E34.

E34 are finniky about this at the best of times. my price is $80, you will probably pay more for them. remember to budget that in.

Welcome Jordan and congrats on the E34 - hope to see you along at some of our Welly events!

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and advice.

I absolutely love throwing stars but yeah with a fresh set of Potenzas the wheels / tyres would probably be worth more than the car haha. 

How much would you guys pay for a bare set of style 66s?

3 hours ago, Eagle said:

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Why do you say "a bit much"?

5 minutes ago, JD01JD said:

I absolutely love throwing stars but yeah with a fresh set of Potenzas the wheels / tyres would probably be worth more than the car haha. 

Okay, slow Dave gets it now... "a bit much" means $$$. ?

But so, so sexy.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JD01JD said:

I'll post some pictures once its a bit tidier - cosmetic condition isn't the best on this car...

Those style 42s look nice but I'm after a set of 17s, style 66s are quite common and I like them - although every set I've seen people are asking a bit too much for them. If anyone has a set of OEM wheels that would suit an e34 I'd be open to suggestions. I really need something to replace the OEM style 5s, the only tyres you can get for them now are supercats and a few other budgets tyres.

I did think about a manual conversion, stopped when I saw the price / lack of availability of the 6 speed...

dont tell me they are metrics still???

12 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

dont tell me they are metrics still???

Nah but something like 225/60r15 - big fat tyres. I wouldn't mind them so much if you could get a really good tyre in that size for a decent price. I got a trade price for a set of 4 in the original size and it was around $220 each for Bridgestone Turanzas, slightly less for supercats. You can get a 17" Potenza for that price, a tyre that is streets ahead of a Turanza.

Its currently got Supercats all round - not the best in the dry, gets interesting in the wet...

Yeah i used to get 15" Turanzas years ago off a guy here in Hamilton for $80 each, they were off ex police Holdens but still had like 5mm threads. Think it was the now Auto 66 guy. 

Sold a set of 66's for $350 years ago with a bit of curbing. Id pay around 500-600 for a set good set with none\minimal curbing. Many times ive ended up buying entire cars to get the wheels then selling them off with another set, more likely to get a 5 wheels as well 

Usually a good selection E39 17x8 stuff around, sometimes its just not advertised or just not around when you want it. Besides the square setup benefits you can get Michellin PS4's 235\45R17 for under $250 a tyre, they are far better than the Bridgestones.

and some will say its not a good set up with a square set up you can rotate the tyres front to back to even out the wear.

I got a set of style 66’s about a year ago off the forums for $550 IRC. They were clean but had a little bit of curbing. I put a new set of potenza’s on for $1100. Have treated me well. 

• Like 1

just add the pics, man.  we're all driving projects, don't be shy... welcome to the forum, look forward to seeing you at a meet up.  check in to the Meetings room, subscribe to the Wellington room to get notifications.  BMW Club night on at the pub once a month, plus runs, coffee meets, and longer trips too.

• Like 5

Sounds like up north is the place to be if you own a BMW. Not sure if much happens in Chirstchurch in terms of meets... Alot of young people here in Christchurch seem to be all about Skylines and Cefiros. Most of my family have old Holdens, My old man has a HQ Kingswood Ute with a 350 Chev and always gives me sh*t about owning a BMW. Would be good to meet others that are passionate about BMW's and go for cruises, get advice and get help with my e34. ?

Holden were way behind BMW back then. Carved up so many Holdens with my old E34 on the road and track I've lost count.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Eagle said:

Holden were way behind BMW back then. Carved up so many Holdens with my old E34 on the road and track I've lost count.

If anyone is on the rather large Facebook page called classic cars and wrecks NZ you'll find a similar head up the arse attitude towards anything Euro with the exception of the pommie stuff that was popular back in the 60s/70s.

Which made me laugh at your post - in 94 the E34 was ten times the car of the equalivant Commodore/Falcon, not to mention the 5spd auto and 210kw, vs a whopping 165kw from 5.0 cast iron boat anchor.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, coop said:

If anyone is on the rather large Facebook page called classic cars and wrecks NZ you'll find a similar head up the arse attitude towards anything Euro with the exception of the pommie stuff that was popular back in the 60s/70s.

Which made me laugh at your post - in 94 the E34 was ten times the car of the equalivant Commodore/Falcon, not to mention the 5spd auto and 210kw, vs a whopping 165kw from 5.0 cast iron boat anchor.

Always amazed me how they got such little power out of some of those engines. Still, guess they were quite tuneable if you wanted to pump them up. 

Yeah the Ford / GM product as far as engines go didn't really gain anything credible until the late 90s. 

Nissan, BMW, Toyota, Mercedes were all making quality multi cam V8s by the late 80s, it was like the late 70s for those American / Australian derived engines. 

At least they are making up for it now with rather crazy figures from the LT4 engines and the gigantic following the LSX series motors have, while still keeping them pushrod which is kinda cool for head packaging reduction  

What colour is the car? M-pars on an E34 ? , even though it's been done a million times.

Other options I can think of - AC Schnitzer type 3, OZ Futura, BBS LMs.

Edited by Contrails