Sign in to follow this  
Chrisblob

Christchurch 2006 BMW 540i new owner

Hi all, I'm Chris, I just purchased a Japan market 2006 E60 540i sedan done around 74,000km, in silver with black interior. My first BMW, in fact first European vehicle after nearly 30 years of driving Japanese and Korean cars. NZC in Hornby were the sellers, they advertised the vehicle a number of months ago but it had mechanical issues on arrival - I never got to test drive it first time round, but when it was re-advertised recently after repairs I test drove it and decided to buy. The problems it initially had were significant, and cost over $3500 for NZC to fix; it got a new gearbox, and leaky seals replaced. The only issues it seems to have now are an intermittent reversing camera, and I suspect the key fob (sealed unit that charges by induction) battery is on its last legs. Very tidy exterior and interior, very few squeaks or rattles, so far very happy with it touch wood ?

36639115_10215243971873527_2076184785704714240_n.jpg

36660316_10215243976113633_1409179564386549760_n.jpg

36669916_10215243998954204_1849620940103614464_n.jpg

If they replaced the valve stem seals then that’s great news. 

1 hour ago, NZ BMW said:

If they replaced the valve stem seals then that’s great news. 

I'm not 100% certain which seals were replaced, but with $3500 spent including a new gearbox I suspect it wasn't valve stem seals, more likely coolant leaks that are more obvious to find and don't require lifting the heads. It's welcome whatever it is, as I'm less likely to have to fix those things now. ?

• Like 1

If it is a comfort access key, the battery can be replaced.

5 hours ago, aja540i said:

If it is a comfort access key, the battery can be replaced.

not the comfort access one sadly, its the sealed unit that recharges via induction while plugged in the ignition. It can be replaced with an LIR2025 rechargeable, but needs some careful use of a craft knife to cut/pry the seal holding the remote together, it might even require soldering to remove/replace the old battery. It seems to be going again now so I'll keep an eye on it.

21 minutes ago, Chrisblob said:

not the comfort access one sadly, its the sealed unit that recharges via induction while plugged in the ignition. It can be replaced with an LIR2025 rechargeable, but needs some careful use of a craft knife to cut/pry the seal holding the remote together, it might even require soldering to remove/replace the old battery. It seems to be going again now so I'll keep an eye on it.

good excuse to take it for a nice long drive... "i'm charging the key"  :)

Welcome Chris - silver E60 with Style 123s is a handsome vehicle :)

If you have only one key recommend you pick up another and make your existing one a spare. Cost a few $$ but not as bad as some others ...

They certainly make it a PITA to replace the battery!! ?

Edited by TermiPeteNZ

On 7/14/2018 at 10:05 PM, TermiPeteNZ said:

Welcome Chris - silver E60 with Style 123s is a handsome vehicle :)

If you have only one key recommend you pick up another and make your existing one a spare. Cost a few $$ but not as bad as some others ...

They certainly make it a PITA to replace the battery!! ?

I spoke to NZC, and they offered to cover the cost of sorting out the key fob - its still working for now.

I agree on the look of the car, especially with the style 123 wheels -- those seem to match the highline trim better than other rims I've seen. I test drove a highline 2005 550i before I bought the 540i, and it had the style 124's - sorta looked out of place on that car,  plus the fact the rears are 275/35/ZR18, which is expensive rubber compared to the 245/40/ZR18's on my 540i.

• Like 1

Welcome, Chris!  Beaut cars, and a great drive.  Winger BMW recommended I keep my keys in use in rotation, so they dont get a chance to go flat.  HTH.