Sign in to follow this  
turbolizard

EWS emulator coding

I am trying to get an M44 transplant running using an EWS emulator on the original M44 DME.  Unfortunately the original EWS module and keys that were paired with the DME are in a donor car that is long gone, which is why i need an emulator.

INPA can read the ISN off the the DME without problems and all communications using INPA work perfectly so there is not likely to be any problem with my cables etc.  However, when I switch to the emulator software to try and write the ISN to the EWS emulator chip I cannot communicate with it.  Everything seems to operate fine, it tries for a while, then returns a message "No echo from k-line".

Has anyone successfully done this and got any ideas?

The basic approach I am taking is described in the link below, although I got the identical looking emulator chips from Aliexpress...

https://www.ecutool.com/bmw-ews2-ews32-emulator_7875.html

Would it not be easier to just use an EWS module with the correct VIN? 

just delete the EWS all together. flash it out from the DME etc. 

Use inpa to sync the dme with the emulator. There is a function in the menu somewhere.. I think from memory it’s called ews alignment..?

google it

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas.

2 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

Would it not be easier to just use an EWS module with the correct VIN? 

It might be that i need to try and find an EWS2 module and keys and align it as below.  However, this is essentially what the emulator is supposed to do.  If I can make it work the emulator is simpler as the car does not have any EWS wiring in it as it never had EWS originally.  The engine is newer than the car, so putting an emulator inside the DME box is good stand alone setup (if I can get it to work of course).

2 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

just delete the EWS all together. flash it out from the DME etc. 

The DME for the M44B19 is Bosch M5.2 and I don't think this software approach is possible for this DME.  That was my first idea too and I did a bit of investigation of this.  Do you know someone who can do it on this M5.2 DME?

1 hour ago, Dogballs said:

Use inpa to sync the dme with the emulator. There is a function in the menu somewhere.. I think from memory it’s called ews alignment..?

google it

Yes it is there and I can get to the menu.  I have read the ISN from the DME and tried to write it to the emulator with INPA but I get some sort of comms error (IFH-0003: DATATRANSMISSIONTO INTERFACE DISTURBED).  I seem to have some limited comms with emulator but the full INPA jobs don't always run.  Only some of the parameters seem to be accessible, probably because the emulator is only approximately similar to the real EWS system.

Will keep playing with INPA and Tool32.  In the meantime if anyone has an EWS2 module that will suit my DME I would be happy to try playing around with that too.

9 hours ago, turbolizard said:

The DME for the M44B19 is Bosch M5.2 and I don't think this software approach is possible for this DME.  That was my first idea too and I did a bit of investigation of this.  Do you know someone who can do it on this M5.2 DME?

ah quite right, yes the Bosch stuff is a bit of a pain. i have a stack of Bosch DMEs here that are basically useless untill someone comes up with a solution, id say the time is passed and noone will now tho.