Sign in to follow this  
Chrisblob

Japan market 2006 540i E60 iDrive recoding

Hi all, my key fob battery was replaced by a company in Christchurch called Auto Scanning Solutions; while I was there I asked if the guy did recoding on iDrive units to change to NZ radio frequencies etc, and he said yes - will cost around $80 which I think is reasonable.

When I drop the car in to get that done is there any other re-coding that I could get done while its in there? Radio is the main thing I'm after, I'm not sure if TV can be changed (hard-coded NTSC tuner?) or whether navigation or other things can be changed... if anyone has suggestions as to other things apart from radio that could be changed, your feedback is most welcome. ?

Cheers.

I had my navigation changed over to NZ - bit of a waste of time IMO, the interface on the early iDrive whist impressive 12 years ago is pretty primitive by iPhone standards today. 

On 7/17/2018 at 9:28 PM, NZ BMW said:

I had my navigation changed over to NZ - bit of a waste of time IMO, the interface on the early iDrive whist impressive 12 years ago is pretty primitive by iPhone standards today. 

I'll look longer term at one of the Android based 8.8" high res screen units, as I'd like to use Sygic or similar for nav, but to be honest the youtube videos of those units I've seen don't inspire me - the interface on them mostly looks like a default Android UI, possibly less intuitive than iDrive for car use which is saying something...

I'll get the radio set to NZ frequencies with RDS working, then go from there - I've got aux in so I can use my phone for MP3 music ?

Cheers.

Edited by Chrisblob