Sign in to follow this  
qube

RIP - 2019 1 Series

Isn't that a Ford Focus?

Just now, gjm said:

Isn't that a Ford Focus?

might as well be. :(

1er owners- the ones who buy them new ie, the ones who matter to the company- don't know they have been buying RWD. If they DGAF then there isn't much incentive to keep selling them a more expensive to produce RWD platform.

It's sole redeeming feature is that because it is a small car they couldn't fit those bloody stupid enormous grills they are ruining the rest of their lineup with.

• Like 1

FWD is inherently more economical and therefore produces less emissions, than RWD (with a front mount engine) and the levels are so tight now the inevitable had to happen.

Sharing the MINI / X1 platform also help with the economics side of things as well.

The good news is the M Performance versions will be xDrive to put the power down.

29 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

1er owners- the ones who buy them new ie, the ones who matter to the company- don't know they have been buying RWD. If they DGAF then there isn't much incentive to keep selling them a more expensive to produce RWD platform.

It's sole redeeming feature is that because it is a small car they couldn't fit those bloody stupid enormous grills they are ruining the rest of their lineup with.

Are we looking at the same grilles? Those things are huge!! I assume they are doing It for ease of access during servicing?

• Haha 1

I thought that’s what the 2 series was for, shame 

BMW are completely losing the plot now with car design. Those grilles, as most others, are just wrong for the rest of the car.

Wasn't even a big fan of the Bangle cars but bring him back i reacon...

In silver or black this will look the business. Besides, it competes with the Golf and that’s a FWD platform, RWD was wasted on people buying a 116i to pop to the shops in. 

Its a chinese mini for people who like "exclusive" badges, but find the mini marque too "common people". yay. 

I bet the M version will have 8 exhaust tips and 37 wings to compete with the type R civic. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cale said:

Oh dear...

Dafuq... the exact same two words that popped into my head.

I agree with so much in this thread, this is just another of the small cuts BMW enthusiasts have to endure... but we're not BMW's base by a long shot.

Hood and headlights remind me of a Mitsi Evo.

I think for me, the next car I will buy won’t be another bmw (I mean in terms of newer models)

I honestly think I would go for something from Hyundai or Kia next judging by the way things are going these days

Wait until they start selling electric only front wheel drive cars. 

The disposable camera era of BMWs :p 

4 hours ago, Michael. said:

Wait until they start selling ONLY electric  front wheel drive cars. 

The disposable camera era of BMWs ?

Fixed that for you! ;)

Bmw hasn’t just lost the plot, as mentioned it’s the stringent emission standards in Europe and other parts of the world.

11 hours ago, hotwire said:

BMW are completely losing the plot now with car design. Those grilles, as most others, are just wrong for the rest of the car.

Wasn't even a big fan of the Bangle cars but bring him back i reacon...

Just to point out that the picture posted is not an official BMW release - it's from another web-forum that are "speculating" what the rumoured new FWD 1 Series will look like when it comes to market, probably based of off the spy shots of test mules that have been spotted out and about.

How close it comes to the actual production version, and how big the actual grilles are, we will have to wait and see... :ph34r:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, qube said:

I honestly think I would go for something from Hyundai or Kia next judging by the way things are going these days

No, just no.

BMW needs volume sellers to cross subsidise expensive and cool variants.    If you don’t like buy a classic that you do......

Those last two BMWs look horrific, I'd be embarrassed to own one. One looks like a giant has sat on the grill and squashed it down and the other just looks like a sad upside down face. I hope those are (poor) artists impressions rather than real press shots.

We all knew it was coming. I mean once you start to make cars like this it's guaranteed really. 

fugly.jpg

• Like 2

jeez you guys.  this weekend my rental is a camry hybrid.  you don't so much drive it, as operate it.  it's an appliance.

*any* BMW is better than that.

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

jeez you guys.  this weekend my rental is a camry hybrid.  you don't so much drive it, as operate it.  it's an appliance.

*any* BMW is better than that.

Sorry, I want a bit more from my BMW than "better than a Camry hybrid" !