Sign in to follow this  
SmithyInWelly

I'm ashamned

Took my car into Winger Bimmer today for a couple of WoF related bits n bobs and they gave me a loan car. It was a (oxymoron alert) demo Mini Countryman and I'm ashamed to say I actually liked it.

1.5 litres with attached hair dryer - high riding, easy access, a bit of room (for a small car)... ok performance around town and reasonable handling too (no, it's not a track car), good connectivity, visibility, safety, economy, and a bluddy comfortable driving position with plenty of head and leg room (not that I'm a tall unit but those who are would appreciate it.

After years of derision of any Mini that isn't actually mini, I think I get it now.

Would I buy one? Well; of all the ways that immediately spring to mind of how to spend $50-odd k; of course not. But I can see why some people would. I may need an intervention.

• Haha 1

We popped in to Coombes Johnson in Hamilton for a chat with 'Parts' and had a browse while waiting. (Actually, I wanted to dribble on the Z4M out front.)

We also saw the 3-pot Mini. It's not a bad car, but if we were to have a 'new' Mini, it'd be the Clubman, with the side opening rear doors.

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1

They are more or less a X1 which I think is a great town car for alot of the same reasons the Mini is but to me the X1 is just a bit more comfortable and smoother. Minis are fun wee cars when you put them in sport mode and go for a blast

I agree, they've sort-of got the Mini driving dynamics right, they all drive pretty well and respond reassuringly to a bit of right foot. Some of the JCW variants were really good fun.

The most unexpected thing for me was the driving position and how comfortable it was, I've never driven anything remotely like a "crossover", only the occasional SUV and ute. The greater distance between the floor and the seat squab probably (unknowingly) put me in a better (more upright) posture.

Edited by SmithyInWelly
to right a wong
  • Like 2

If you want some good around town point and squirt fun you have to go a long way to beat a John Cooper Works version of the 3 Door hatch. Just like the Italian Job, although try not to drive up the pavements, the police take a pretty dim view of that kind of thing.

• Haha 2

2015 JCW sold (withdrawn from tm) by BMW CHCH after being listed for a day or two at $37k. it had only done 30kish kms and it was the real deal.. absolute bargain!!