Sign in to follow this  
Deano1968

E30 Steering Knuckle Clash with Extractors

Hi.

The previous owner of my 325i E30 fitted extractors.  When I take left hand corners hard, the extractors hit the bottom steering knuckle.  It may hit in other places but it is very hard to see.  I can however see where the aluminium steering knuckle has been rubbing on the extractors.  I have checked the motor mounts and they seem fine.  Can someone provide some advice on the best way to fix this problem (slowing down is not an option).  The car is fitted with the factory steering rack and I do not want to change it at this stage.

Cheers.

Dean.

bash the headers or fit some washers under the engine mount on that side

Thanks Brent.  Was hoping someone could put me onto replacement knuckles with a smaller OD.

40 minutes ago, Deano1968 said:

Thanks Brent.  Was hoping someone could put me onto replacement knuckles with a smaller OD.

yea another option , some later cars have smaller ones , come check some out if you like here

I have a modified knuckle and will post a pic tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Deano1968 said:

Thanks Sam and Geoff.

Or look up _BRS_   e30 part 2 build on another setup

Will the astra trick work on an e46 aswell?

Yeah, couple of UK guys have done it, Just check your lengths and measurements

Best is two UJ's from summit racing with a small piece of 1/2 bar in between.. ( Plenty of clearance)

Edited by Ace Of Spades

Bash the headers, did it on my E55 with the same problem.

+1 to Brent’s idea of lifting exhaust side engine mount slightly. Easy job

Can't bring myself to hitting the extractors.  I'd have to remove them to do that anyway which I want to avoid. 

Think I may replace the engine mounts.  They're original items and may be contributing to the engine movement, and will then replace the steering knuckles with something smaller.   Seems to be the tidiest, although not the least expensive, way to fix the problem.

Do you need to get the modified steering knuckle LVVTA certified as a modification?

That's a good question, which I don't know the answer to.  I'll most likely change it, and see if they notice it for the WOF.  I'm thinking that if I use factory made knuckles (from whichever car) without grinding or bashing anything then they should be safe.  This could be one of those questions that you don't really want to know the answer to.

Here is the pic of the modified steering knuckle with a normal size knuckle beside it.   The gain is 25mm clearance overall.

E30 MODIFIED STEERING KNUCKLE.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Geoff.  Unfortunately that won't fix my problem.  On my car the bottom aluminium knuckle is hitting the extractors (when taking left hand bends hard).  When I get some time in the next few weeks I'll head up to Brent's to sort through his stock to see what I can adapt.  I'll let everyone know what I find.  Cheers.