Sign in to follow this  
qazwsx

Rare E36 Aero bits

Viewing possible? I might be interested in the splitter...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, qazwsx said:

Yea mate. Some time this week possible?

Yep, could even do tomorrow, will send you a PM.

^ I think this is a great idea. make some replicas and sell for $100-200 each then you will be rolling in the money

• Like 1

not trying to suggest anything but how to know if that is 100% genuine? as you say, google results show basically nothing and I cant find any information about it. the hamann font looks average at best too.

Still a very cool lip spoiler just not 100% sold on the legitness of it. the story from previous seller sounds like.. well, just a story haha

Is there a way to truly know anything is 100% genuine? It would just seem stranger to me for it to be some sort of replica when there's nothing to make a replica off of, and to print a code number that means nothing to anybody. There's one other example in Sweden: https://rejsa.nu//forum/viewtopic.php?p=1155696&sid=8f17076824eaafab132c58c95dd52ff1

Yes, for obscure parts I'm not sure you can be 100% sure unless you have a few of them to compare. It is literally identical to the one in the link above and for two identical "fake" ones to end up at different ends of the planet would require a bit of luck. Coincidentally Aldrin picked this up from the same guy I recently purchased some uber-rare door cards from and he's certainly legit (but of course he could have been sold a story also).

It seems well designed with smooth lines and even curves etc, etc. Can't comment on actual build quality as I'm not a fibreglass expert but it doesn't appear bad. It will be interesting to see how much abuse it handles... it's very light and whilst stiff, certainly isn't particularly thick. 

In the end I paid for the part not the brand and would have walked away had I not thought it was worth it. I'll claim it's a Hamann until I learn otherwise... :D I might send them an email and ask, see what info that returns.

So @3pedals, what do we need to do to make a CF one happen. I'm only going to be test fitting this in the short term rather than fixing it straight on...

Edit: just seen that second link... hmmm, yummy.

Let me know if you’ll make cf copies and I might bin the evo lip idea.....

1 hour ago, 3pedals said:

Just fit it, easy to make a splash with it fitted 

I'm not sure I know what "splashing" is and the only helpful reference i found was here: http://sweetcomposites.com/Mold.html

Are you using "splash" the same way they are?

But either way, are you saying it would be easy once it's fixed to the bumper? Do you not need access to the inside cavity? And can you do it whilst it's affixed to the car?

Or are you just taking the piss? To be honest I can't tell... 

• Like 1

Further updates on the splitter in my PLOG...