Sign in to follow this  
k1w1stevejp

E46 320d Motorsport 5sp Manual

Hi every everyone. I’ve had the 320d for over yr now. I enjoy this car and drive it hard. It is not real straight but relatively low iks at 175,000 and is the 2003 pre facelift model and has a tidy interior.

I’ve not done the swirl flaps, and wonder it I really need to, or if I do, can I do it myself, and what is the best method.

i have previously owed a 1980 633 and and early very tidy 520 with the 4cly engine.

Also interested in mapping but not if it going to cost to much or if I’m told it’s not worth it. 

Car has some turbo lag. I have cleaned out the ERG valve about 10000ks ago and I always use a quality fuel treatment to ensure a clean running engine and to reduce/prevent carbon build up.

I like the manual 5sp but could be tempted with a 330d auto. 

BB184D0B-6FA2-49F9-ACF2-A89C67FC22F3.jpeg

D1C21E22-D4A8-4418-844F-AEF0157B3FBC.jpeg

58F56247-6592-4B82-8115-6C6912C65171.jpeg

AD0C7F57-D015-417D-A56B-9D065E025D76.jpeg

7F3FC8C0-7385-4A75-880C-BDCA506526D0.jpeg

Edited by k1w1stevejp
Pic
  • Like 2

Good engines, good cars.

Remove the EGR and throw it away.

Swirl flaps you can do yourself - buy some blanks online. Mine came from Ireland.

• Like 1

i see you are in Tauranga, but i think i saw this on the Kapiti expressway a few weeks back ? heaps of gps radar dash cam etc on the windscreen ? otherwise you have a twin about ha.

Welcome.

Yes, you MUST do the swirl flaps or you will regret.  An absolute must do - it can fail any moment and that'll be the end of your car!

Funnily enough, I have a 330D auto and I'm interested in a 320D manual or 330D manual haha

Hi, everyone, and thanks for the friendly welcome! AND thanks for the advice on the swirl flaps. I will give it some more serious consideration. I was going to do it 12mths ago but then I got lazy, thinking maybe it’s not such a problem! Oh dear! 

I took the 2002 E46 330d Motorsport that is for sale in Hamilton for a test drive and was impressed with its power, and seriously considered buying it. It was a useful exercise to do the comparison between the two almost identical looking cars. 

I don’t live in motorway stop start traffic, but I do live 10kms up a windy country road! The manual is a lot of fun and pulls so nicely climbing hills and when exiting hill climb corners at low rpm which I really like, also pulling super well to the red line when giving it plenty of go. Coming up the Kaimai ranges from the Waikato side after driving the 330d (auto) my 320d felt much lighter and nimble and I love the fact that the 320d is super economical even when driven hard. I’m a great believer in product called MBL which is very good oil treatment. (Metel based Lubricant - copper and lead molecules)  I know the engine is  well protected and with the fuel treatment I know I am getting max power and efficiently from this engine. So I’ve decided to keep this car for now,  I’ve trained up the Misses to accept the excessive g forces exurted from this car as normal. I’m on a budget and this car ticks a lot of boxes for me at the present time.

• Like 1

i had a 120 d mnual it was a 6 spd though.I got a "80 percent"  remap as i wanted to have the option of retaing some economy.Nicer to drive,would rev quicker than stock.I foound that the 120 was fine as long as you kept it on boost.If you came up to a very slow corner then tried to accelerate there was just nothing there...I got in to the habit of changing into 1st for very sharp uphill hairpins!

My remap was about $900 i thought it was worth it.It made the 120 d quite a snappy performer.Apetrol 2 litre would have better top end performance,but on road "rolling" performance was very good.If you are going to keep the car for a long time i reckon get a remap if you can afford it.

Welcome Steve - sounds like you're thoroughly enjoying the 320D! :)

Just been back and forth over the Kaimais a few times last week in my V8 X5!

On 7/24/2018 at 8:51 PM, TermiPeteNZ said:

Just been back and forth over the Kaimais a few times last week in my V8 X5!

expencive trip, i hope you could invoice someone for it!

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:35 AM, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

expencive trip, i hope you could invoice someone for it!

Nope - just family holiday :)