Sign in to follow this  
Chrisblob

FM radio recode failure

Hi there, I put my Japan market 2006 540i in to get coded to get NZ radio frequencies, and to fix (again) the key fob (replacement battery was faulty), but I was in a hurry to get back to work after I left the workshop so didn't get the chance to test the radio until now. So when I try to select FM or AM they are greyed out, and Aux in and TV are the only available sources. The service guy mentioned he also re-coded the near new car battery as the sales yard I bought it from had installed the new battery *without* coding it to the car. Before I head back to the service guy asking WTF he did is there something else I need to do to activate FM radio from the source selector? I get the feeling the service guy has coded the battery *after* coding the radio, thereby undoing all his good work with the radio - I can only assume he tested the radio after doing the coding.

Any suggestions as to what to do?

Cheers.

I suggest you go back to him and spend a bit more time with him do discuss your problems

On 7/26/2018 at 4:20 PM, *Glenn* said:

I suggest you go back to him and spend a bit more time with him do discuss your problems

I dropped by the workshop at lunch today to get radio recoded, but after numerous attempts with a couple of machines and phone calls he hadn't got it running so he dropped me back to work then drove to another workshop to try another machine. Later he rang to say it was all good, drove to collect me from my work and drove back to the workshop...radio was working, all the stations were listed, the car *had* been running the whole time. I drove back to the carpark, turned the car off, got back to the office and finished my work. 4 hours later when I started the car again iDrive had greyed out the FM and AM options - still no radio! Frustrating to say the least. So each time the car turns off any coding on the radio is reset and radio is disabled. Anyone care to advise where I go from here?

Regards, Chris W

It sounds like he’s not coding all the required modules with the new VO. - ie the radio region is being changed, but the VO in the various modules are reverting it back to its original configuration when there is a power on cycle..

?? 

On 7/30/2018 at 10:55 PM, Dogballs said:

It sounds like he’s not coding all the required modules with the new VO. - ie the radio region is being changed, but the VO in the various modules are reverting it back to its original configuration when there is a power on cycle..

?? 

I called him on 1st August, but he hasn't returned the call yet so I will try again tomorrow - if he cannot do the job he can return my money and I can try someone else, and just hope that what he's done hasn't left me with a munted radio/idrive setup.

Cheers.

I do recall reading a thread about this. Its Jochen 4th post down. The country coding of the entire vehicle needs to be done otherwise it will just revert back.