Sign in to follow this  
TimS440

1995 318i sedan M43B18 disa

Hi All,

I've just signed up here this morning,  I was on here a few years ago when I had a mid 90's 316 2 door,  but my login details don't seem to work anymore,

anyway,  about a week ago I purchased a 318i,  overall pretty good for the k's and money,  few small things i'm working through,  I've been googling all week,  so far it's looking like I'll have a good car for awhile at least (hopefully another 100k anyway)

the main thing is the tapping that sounds like it's coming from the rear of the engine,  or if i'm in the car, it sounds like it is from under the dash, and only noticeable on acceleration,

I thought it might be the lifters,  on research,  it seems it could be the DISA valve,  but for the life of me,  I cannot find the DISA valve,  there's nothing that I can see that resembles any of the images I can find online,  I went to Pick-a-Part wreckers the other day and found the same engine and slightly dissembled it looking for the valve,  still can't find anything,

could someone direct me as to where it is ?  I bought a workshop manual online the other day,  for a 318 1991 - 1999,  but it is completely different than the engine i have,  does anyone have a PDF for the M43B18 1795cc ?

I think I saw some reference to it needing to be Haynes manual, as that engine was never released in the US ??  I still can't find anything, and don't want to fork out more money if I don't know that I'm buying the correct manual...

anyway,  thanks in advance,   I'm still looking at the lifter possibility,  I currently have the rocker cover off, and am trying to clean them up a bit in place with CRC and fast gentle taps with a square dive screwdriver with a plastic handle upside down...   hoping it'll work some CRC to hopefully start freeing them up a bit,  then another oil change and more lifter cleaner additive...

(don't wanna take the timing chain etc. off when everything else seems to be going nicely)

I'll keep doing it every half hour for half a day and see if that helps...

There's a few other smaller things I want to fix,  I'll probably be on here a bit for the next few weeks or so...  cheers

M43 wasn't sold in the US (as far as I know). Not enough cylinders...

Had the car stood for any length of time? How many kms has it done? Most likely issue would seem to be a stuck or sticky hydraulic lifter.

What's the idle like?

Dont think your issue is the DISA either

The later M4X engines had the DISA designed as an everything in one unit 

Yours would probably be like the attached picture which has all the parts separated out. I don't think these engines had the rattle issues like the later ones as they used a metal valve inside the manifold (controlled number 6 on the diagram) of the shitty plastic one. 

Either way you can probably est the solenoid and diaphragm in a similar way to the later ones  

disa.jpg

Hi Guys,

awesome,  thanks for the reply,  the idle is ok,  all runs pretty smoothly,  if i'd never heard of the DISA I would have thought lifters...

I found that metal butterfly valve the other day,  it seems tight,  the valve that's circled in your attachment doesn't seem to do anything, I disconnected the power to the unit below that it's connected to by vacuum hoses, and it made no difference,  the small one way valve was missing and the hoses to it are disconnected,  I blocked those off and it made no difference, (I bought a valve from the wreckers now, I'll put it on anyway),

relief to know that it's probably, the lifters,  I'll keep trying this cleaning in place method today and let you know how it goes,  really don't want to take it all apart to get them out and clean them,  but as far as lifter noise goes, it's the noisiest car I've ever owned...

sorry,  i think the car was sitting for maybe 3 months,  it's done just over 205,000 km's  everything else is pretty good,  instrument cluster not working properly, I'll get on to that next,  passed the road worthy ok,  I put new plugs and drive belt, oil change etc.

The pictured valve should have a rod which opens and closes the the butterfly valve when vacuum is applied thru it.. Id say if anything has failed its likely the rubber diaphragm in inside the valve and someone may of disconnected the setup

Performance wise its not going to make a huge difference anyway if its working or not.

• Like 1

Hi All,

I haven't had much luck reducing the lifter noise (I'm pretty sure that's what it is),

it doesn't actually sound that loud coming from the engine itself, it's comparable to my girlfriends mitsubishi but that is not audible inside the cabin,   I'm thinking maybe it just seems to enter the cabin through the firewall under the dash more than it does in other makes of cars ?

There's a lot of posts online about this problem (or similar)

Just wondering,  is anyone having this issue ?   it's just the tapping that sounds like its coming from under the dash, only really noticeable when the engine is under load, like accelerating,

I'm thinking of getting some fire and acoustic sealant that get gets used in houses and sealing around every penetration I can find through the firewall,

has anyone else tried this ?

I've fixed pretty much everything else i can find wrong with it,  new instrument cluster, new central locking solenoid, various bits and pieces of trim, new boot rubber,  had the second rear wheel bearing done a couple of days ago but i think maybe it hasn't been done right,  sounds like steel on steel, and rear end got the wobbles twice when i took it out yesterday, I'll get them to recheck it on Monday,

if i can do something about this tapping noise I'll keep the car,  it'll probably do another 80,000, doesn't owe me very much,  and looks tidy enough,  but if I can't fix this tapping I'll just try and sell it, it's really annoying

What grade oil are you using? Is it louder when increase rpm at idle. Others things like loose spark plug and exhaust leaks can cause ticking once you get going.

Get your self a Stethoscope, useful tool inexpensive tool.