Sign in to follow this  
gjm

So... Which model inspired a later one?

Martin's post:

had me thinking. Leaving aside the apparent negation of the pre-existence of a M5 before the E28 (go on - search BMW M5 and see what you get!) what would you consider the pre-cursor to another model?

For me, the E24 M635CSi (I think the Uhmer'cans and Japan received a ar called the M6) was a fabulous car. I had one, in Delphin Metallic. A 'Highline' model.
I feel this was the inspiration for the E31 8-series - I had a 840Ci and the experience was certainly similar. Certainly a similar ethos and target market.

Agree... Disagree?

Any others?

Can you stretch an M2 from a 2002t, both fast small 2drs in a time when over inflated cars getting bigger and fatter?

Both lightweight versions made to thrill.

interesting ideas, what else?

12 hours ago, Breaker said:

Can you stretch an M2 from a 2002t, both fast small 2drs in a time when over inflated cars getting bigger and fatter?

Both lightweight versions made to thrill.

interesting ideas, what else?

It's still bigger than an E30.  But is the smallest of the lot.

E8* 1 series are the closest to a "modern" E30, differing body styles, but in terms of ethos and sizing. First thing I thought when took the 130 for a drive was the similarities to how it felt and drove to my old one. The F** 2 series M2 got bloaty again, nice cars but they drift further away from the reasons the 1M was "perfect" 

Were the tii style pinstriping you see on a few 1Ms a BMW Performance option? 

Edited by Jacko

22 hours ago, gjm said:

Martin's post:

had me thinking. Leaving aside the apparent negation of the pre-existence of a M5 before the E28 (go on - search BMW M5 and see what you get!) what would you consider the pre-cursor to another model?

For me, the E24 M635CSi (I think the Uhmer'cans and Japan received a ar called the M6) was a fabulous car. I had one, in Delphin Metallic. A 'Highline' model.
I feel this was the inspiration for the E31 8-series - I had a 840Ci and the experience was certainly similar. Certainly a similar ethos and target market.

Agree... Disagree?

Any others?

I think I recall reading about the e31 early dev cars having all the running gear and gadgetry fitted to the e24 body.

In terms of the M5, the e12 M535i was the seed because it was the first 5 series sedan to be fitted out with a ‘large’ engine, motorsport orientated suspension and an LSD. Being a new concept at the time it was an obvious success. Sadly I cannot afford a real one ...FB244BBC-74E0-4D3E-9007-12F3C121237F.jpeg

66B850D2-7639-404E-B119-50FCB6B6100C.jpeg

• Like 3

I have lost count of how many models have been referred to "as the successor to the Legendary E30 M3" but unfortunately few have come even close to being able to live with that title. Sure, there have been faster cars, and better handling cars or even both, but in terms of what it was all about in terms of character... errm, no. The 1M probably came the closest, as this was a blank sheet of paper exercise for the M Division and really was damn good. Hopefully the M2 Competition will come close, now that it has the proper drive train, looks different and has a better interior. We shall see!

On 8/1/2018 at 9:17 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I have lost count of how many models have been referred to "as the successor to the Legendary E30 M3" but unfortunately few have come even close to being able to live with that title. Sure, there have been faster cars, and better handling cars or even both, but in terms of what it was all about in terms of character... errm, no. The 1M probably came the closest, as this was a blank sheet of paper exercise for the M Division and really was damn good. Hopefully the M2 Competition will come close, now that it has the proper drive train, looks different and has a better interior. We shall see!

Just a shame they are unaffordable to most in New Zealand.  Where as I could wander on down to BMW right now and get one on lease for a fraction I could in NZ.