Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

E60 540i Motorsport

***UPDATE***
14.08 - Had its front brake pads and rotors changes by Pit Stop Penrose.
15.08 - Full Valet and Exterior Protection done by the team at OCD Detailing Penrose.

Ready for its new owner.

Text or call 021 302 485 for more info or viewing

Price Drop - $15,495 - but open to reasonable offers ?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1727389294

Edited by francoisv
  • Like 1

I think $16k is slightly optimistic?

The good: Kms are low, aparrently good service history, ///msport

not so good: it’s down 400 or 800cc (and thus power/torque), it’s pre-LCI (presumably).  H&R springs - good if buyer wants them, otherwise a detractor for many punters. It’s thirteen years old, not fresh enough for some.

The market: 545i’s are $6k to $14k tops, these days, regardless of ///M.  You can find good 550i ///M LCI $15-20k.  People are understanding these cars respond well to loving maintenance, throw tanties when ignored.  They’ll be wondering about valve stem oil seals, factoring a trans service in 25k kms (better than not done and 125kms on the clock).

The question must be: what is going to tip a punter towards your vehicle at the upper end of the price scale?  If you can sell/persuade that, you’ll secure that $16k ask.

I’m biased, I think everyone should own a v8 e60.  However, the prices are dropping with age, based on complexity and younger more attractive models.  I’m keeping mine.

hope that helps!

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

I’m biased, I think everyone should own a v8 e60

Schadenfreude

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Schadenfreude

care to expand; who's experiencing the schadenfruede here?

19 hours ago, francoisv said:

Aftermarket exhaust, and by exhaust I mean muffler haha

I lold

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Olaf said:

care to expand; who's experiencing the schadenfruede here?

Haha. I suppose I could go both ways but no I wouldnt wish e60 v8 issues on anyone. Once they have stopped depreciating they may be worth another look

3 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Haha. I suppose I could go both ways but no I wouldnt wish e60 v8 issues on anyone. Once they have stopped depreciating they may be worth another look

Interesting. N62 Valve stem seals are a potentially pricey repair, though don’t cause catastrophic failure of the engine.  Same for coolant tube through the valley; I’m (personally) mitigating that risk with annual coolant flush and replacement with genuine BMW coolant. Other than that, the standard coolant pump and hose replacements, and coil replacement one does with any BMW of a certain age.  Am I in blissful ignorance of other lurking N62 maladies?

We can then contrast this with M60/M62 V8 issues (timing chain/tensioner/water pump etc) in e39 and e35, that cost $3-5k to address ahead of failure, and result in significant engine damage when deferred/neglected. 

Which is worse?  The M60/M62 is older tech and better understood, though is that really the safer bet??

I think the depreciation end-stop must just about be reached with the e60, same as e39 and e34.  It comes down to whether one’s been well-fettled (lower risk), or neglected (lower price), providing that the car is of an attractive spec.  The rest is down to general demand for that model. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

Interesting. N62 Valve stem seals are a potentially pricey repair, though don’t cause catastrophic failure of the engine.  Same for coolant tube through the valley; I’m (personally) mitigating that risk with annual coolant flush and replacement with genuine BMW coolant. Other than that, the standard coolant pump and hose replacements, and coil replacement one does with any BMW of a certain age.  Am I in blissful ignorance of other lurking N62 maladies?

We can then contrast this with M60/M62 V8 issues (timing chain/tensioner/water pump etc) in e39 and e35, that cost $3-5k to address ahead of failure, and result in significant engine damage when deferred/neglected. 

Which is worse?  The M60/M62 is older tech and better understood, though is that really the safer bet??

I think the depreciation end-stop must just about be reached with the e60, same as e39 and e34.  It comes down to whether one’s been well-fettled (lower risk), or neglected (lower price), providing that the car is of an attractive spec.  The rest is down to general demand for that model. ?

Fair point on the valve stems. That's the first and only thing that's gone wrong on this car. Luckily mechanical warranty saved the day and resulted in a free service from BMworx haha

From my experience, if you look after the car a check things on the regular basis, you'll be sweet.

I make it a habit to change oil and filter every 6 months with a full service once a year.

in saying that, all my M62s have been sweet, first and only M62tu was a shitta

• Like 1

Who do you mean by BMWorx in Botany ??

2 hours ago, qube said:

Probably BMworx(shop)?

Haha yea those guys. Across from Buy Right

5 hours ago, Olaf said:

In short yes. I could write an essay on it but doing it in a FS thread seems a bit ott. We can start another thread if you like. I will say you are comparing 3 diff engines but the M60 is objectively the most reliable BMW V8 produced whilst m62tu is the worst of the 3. I  agree E34's bottomed out ages ago and are going up if anything, E39's have also but id put money on the V8's to still have some decline (earlier ones do seem to be getting quite close in theory)

Hey, if this is actually a For Sale thread, @francoisv I apologise.  I interpreted it as a discussion thread to help establish what you should be asking.  Say the word mate, I'll delete my posts to help you clean up.

Sorry!  May be worst unintentional thread crap in the history of thread craps.  Mea culpa.

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

Hey, if this is actually a For Sale thread, @francoisv I apologise.  I interpreted it as a discussion thread to help establish what you should be asking.  Say the word mate, I'll delete my posts to help you clean up.

Sorry!  May be worst unintentional thread crap in the history of thread craps.  Mea culpa.

haha No Its not, ill be deleting / removing this soon. I plan to start a proper for sale thread this weekend, but given the lack of responses ill probably go direct to trade me. Car is being looked at today by several dealers to be given a market value and then ill list a price from there - so all good.

Need to move this as my F10 arrives this weekend and i may not have space for the E60 for long

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

F10!? Ooooh.  I’m not jelly.  Honest. ?

PS:  Interested to know what the dealers thought of market value, if only to understand how far away from the mark I’ve been.  IM me if you prefer.  I can keep a secret. ?

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

PS:  Interested to know what the dealers thought of market value, if only to understand how far away from the mark I’ve been.  IM me if you prefer.  I can keep a secret. ?

Haha All good to share here, so far iave had mixed reviews.

Dealer A. $11,500

Dealer B. $10,000

Dealer C. $11,000

And I have 1 last stop tomorrow before I make the final decision on the F10. Now the dealer could easily add $5-7k on mine and sell as I've seen 5 E60s, most with more KM and some with 2 fewer cylinders and in crappier condition going for an average of $13,000. So private market may be between $13,000 and $15,000 so I'll list for $16,000 and see where is takes me haha

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

F10 V8 ? 

Yea, 550i. So the N63 bi turbo

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Hope ya have a mechanical warranty for that one too! 

Yea for 3 years

looks absolutely fab on the style 95's. its as if it was meant for this car.

17 hours ago, qube said:

looks absolutely fab on the style 95's. its as if it was meant for this car.

Yea you're right. Was a gamble when I first thought about it.

Fits so well. I may look at putting a set on the F10 when it arrives ?

Im not a huge fan of the E60, too "gadgety" and overweight for me, but damn that's probably one of the best looking i have seen. Good luck, cant imagine it will hang around long.