Sign in to follow this  
Dysnomia

E60 M5 S85 Vanos Pump, lines and bearings

Hey everyone, 

Had a bit of a search before but struggling to find anything recent so..

Just wondering if anyone has had done, or knows of someone who has had this work done to their S85 recently? Looks like my vanos pump might need replacement and I'm thinking of getting everything done (lines and bearings as well) while they're in there.

Any estimates on what this might sting me? 

Also any suggestions for mechanics in Auckland area that are experienced in this and would be worth talking to? 

Cheers for any help.

Thanks for the help earlier BM World. 

Gonna send her down to BM Workshop in grey Lynn to get her sorted I think. Will update forums and introduce myself in new member section once done. 

• Like 1

What are the symptoms leading to your pump replacement?

8 hours ago, Dysnomia said:

Hey everyone, 

Had a bit of a search before but struggling to find anything recent so..

Just wondering if anyone has had done, or knows of someone who has had this work done to their S85 recently? Looks like my vanos pump might need replacement and I'm thinking of getting everything done (lines and bearings as well) while they're in there.

Any estimates on what this might sting me? 

Also any suggestions for mechanics in Auckland area that are experienced in this and would be worth talking to? 

Cheers for any help.

$7k is a nice round number, i spent about 6 without doing the vanos pump. :)

5 hours ago, GorGasm said:

What are the symptoms leading to your pump replacement?

Enging light came on after a good bit of Sunday driving. Didn't notice any difference until I came to a stop and the idle was super rough (sounded like a lumpy v8 or rotary). Was misfiring and tried to stall on me. 

Fault codes 271 A, B, C, & D which is the VANOS Control Intake and Exhaust fault codes for both sides. Initially when diagnosed the guy at my local workshop suspected the pump due to it throwing all 4 codes at same time.. However after speaking to some other workshops and doing more research it seems its more likely the oil line that's gone as it splits to both sides and these are more prone to going. 

I'm trailering her down to BM Workshop in Grey Lynn this Saturday where they'll do a proper diagnosis when they pull her apart. Fingers crossed pump is OK and it's just lines and bearings that'll be done. 

Will update until its resolved.

Been scouring the youtube for something similar to what's happening to me and this is exactly what mine sounds like, at least the idle..

And that was an engine rebuild.

Fak

How many KMs on your car and what if anything has been done already?

95000kms.

Nothing done that I'm aware of. 

Only owned it less than a month. Full service history for last 3 years from previous owner so there's that. 

I like the optimistic title on that video "Misfire Issue". It sounds like it's running on marbles.

If yours sounds like that Cody I hope you brought it from a dealer and if so, take it straight back for a CGA refund.

11 hours ago, M3AN said:

I like the optimistic title on that video "Misfire Issue". It sounds like it's running on marbles.

I thought they'd retrofitted an old school diesel, with a lumpy cam... Maybe even a 2 stroke detroit, with a loping cold idle :lol:

Anyway, it's only an M5 - nothing a wheelbarrow full of $100 bills can't fix.

• Like 1

You should definitely plan on doing bearings while you are in there, otherwise you will be back in 20,000 km or so. Hopefully it is just a vanos hose but it will still be a fair chunk of change with that and bearings, i also did engine mounts and steering rack boots on mine while i was at it.

• Like 1