Sign in to follow this  
qube

USD highest since 2016

so.. how do I buy from US now.. FCPeuro etc.. 1usd = 1.50nzd..  my hard earned dollar is only worth 67 cents now :(

• Sad 1

Buy from Europe instead.

Sadly the NZ dollar has dropped since the election, so will be somewhat of a factor no matter where you buy offshore.

With the spectre of a no-deal Brexit, the British pound is dropping too.

NZ$ has been dropping for some time. It's more than a year since it's genuinely been worth looking at importing from Germany.

And with the US dollar going up in the short term on the back of taxcuts its not a good time to buy from there either.

Just wait till the protectionist policies flow through in the states, and their dollar will drop badly - thats still a couple years away though.

And by then the 'amazon tax' will have kicked in here in NZ, so its not going to get better any time soon.

If it's not our own government ensuring we can't buy cheaply from overseas, the ridiculous policies of overseas governments are making sure we can't!

• Like 1

Yup.

Protectionism is a very dangerous thing, and always hurts the people it is meant to help. America is in for a world of hurt economically if Trump gets a second term.

Thank goodness in NZ Labour flip-flopped on stopping the tppa trade deal, and is also progressing trade talks in Europe and the UK.

Unfortunately we are just an acorn on the ocean though.

1 hour ago, zero said:

Unfortunately we are just an acorn on the ocean though.

In macroeconomic terms this is correct, it's NZ's main and 'forever' problem. 

As much as I hate to admit it, a common trade union with Australia (as in collective trading power), ultimately to encompass the wider south pacific would benefit NZ economically and also buttress the region against strategic investment from those looking for influence. ?‍?

But that's a 20 year vision, it's not going to help us with our shipping tomorrow! 

Edited by M3AN

I am very happy about this.  Sorry guys.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

yep, if you're stashing coin to bring back, the extra leverage is a bonus.  esp if you're saving for a house or similar.

I'm suitably unimpressed with the drop in the kiwi against the USD.

GBP?  Be worthless, soon.

On 8/10/2018 at 4:47 AM, Olaf said:

yep, if you're stashing coin to bring back, the extra leverage is a bonus.  esp if you're saving for a house or similar.

Yep I have been waiting around for the bubble to burst.

I would love to see it go back to 2009 numbers before I return.

^ so would all the exporters and tourist operations.

31 minutes ago, Driftit said:

we came back (many, many years ago) with USD, opened a USD account here and sat on it till we found a house.  Someone we knew had access to the Treasury info, and we knew that if we waited around nine more months we'd leverage a sizeable drop in the rate.  But we'd found the right house, and moved forward; life can't wait, and the significance of an extra $15k (which was a lot back then) on deposit is soon eclipsed by mortgage interest rate changes, repairs, and valuation increases as years and decades pass.  ?

As sad is this sounds.  I am hoping to take advantage of the masses of over leveraged people that are only just keeping themselves afloat in the good times.

• Like 2

me too, being mortgage free im waiting for a drop in the economy pick up my 3 house.

17 hours ago, Driftit said:

The bubble wont burst - the economy will just continue to slow.

Its not like how the GFC effected the US housing market in 2008.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zero said:

The bubble wont burst - the economy will just continue to slow.

Its not like how the GFC effected the US housing market in 2008.

Not the housing market. The NZD bubble. It already has. How far it will fall will be interesting. 

9 hours ago, Driftit said:

Not the housing market. The NZD bubble. It already has. How far it will fall will be interesting. 

Ahh cool.

Economists are predicting the dollar will continue to drop and be even lower at the end of the year.