Sign in to follow this  
Zed3

Convertible roof rear vinyl window for Z3 (E36/7)

Ok so the rear vinyl window in the convertible roof of my 1999 Z3 has cracked and needs to be replaced. These are the zip in windows. Anyone had any experience with the non OEM replacements from eMiata in the US? They are a lot cheaper than the OEM replacements and the reviews seem pretty good. 

Hi Keith

I've fitted 3 Emiata rear screens now, they take about an 1-2 hours to do.  The kits have everything you need to do the job.  The plastic is stronger than the OE windows, so it will last longer.  Good value for money.

Regards

Murray

Thanks Murray that’s really good to hear, I’ll be giving one a go. Another question for you......have you ever had to replace seatbelt webbing or access the seat belt tensioners under the rear storage boxes? I’ve been trying to remove the rear centre storage box and there are two screws at the base of it that can only be accessed by loosening the entire centre console unit which I’ve done but I just can’t get it loose enough to get to the screws. I’m reluctant to go to the extent of disconnecting wiring in and around the audio head unit which seems to be where it’s staying more connected than I’d like... if that makes sense!

cheers

Keith

Hi Keith

I have not had to take out the seat belt tensioners that are located by the roll hoops yet. 

What is the problem you are trying to fix?

The usual problem of the belts not retracting is caused by dirt in the belt.  Pull the belt all the way out and give is a good wash with soapy water, let it dry then give it a go.

Yes the head unit needs to come out in order to remove the center console.  You use the head unit opining to access:

- two screw (sideways) that holds the heater controls in place so that it stays behind with the console removed

- two screw (up) that hold the console to the dash.

Have you considered buying a service manual for the Z3? The Bentley manual is what I use and it is very good.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bentley-Repair-Manual-BMW-Z3-96-thru-02/222919850248?hash=item33e70ef908%3Ag%3A2BUAAOSwOvRbZbLg&_sacat=6028&_nkw=bentley+Z3&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Hope this helps

Murray

Thanks Murray much appreciated and thanks for the offer of a chat about it. The seatbelt webbing is worn so was advised that it needs to be replaced at some point, hence needing to access the tensioners wof this week will clarify this. Thanks for the tips re the screw locations, I figured there must be something holding it in place. 

Cheers

Keith

Ordered a rear window from eMiata, was sent yesterday so will have another project to tackle in the next few weeks. Will put up some pics when it arrives and will try and document the install for the forum.

The eMiata rear window arrived today with the instructions, glue etc. will get my head around the install and give it a go in due course.