Sign in to follow this  
Jimmyjamese32

735il transmission shifting roughly/no 4th & rev

Any members experienced the titled above transmission issues. No fault codes appear. Seems to worsen at operaring temp, fluids burnt black so thats my first thing to do. Any light shed will be appreciated

Drive is tempermental, 1 2 ok 3rds rough no 4th and that last gear its in rides/slips cruising throttle

Shifting manually 1 2 3 is a tad nicer than in drive 

Lost reverse altogether 

20180729_104136.thumb.jpg.8f2925b67e6beb69e3fdf2d613770626.jpg

Edited by Jimmyjamese32

Sounds like a clutch issue to me. Nothing to loose by changing the fluid given its cheap but so are 2nd hand gearboxes

• Like 1

if you're going to do a fluid and filter change in the hope it fixes it (buy a Lotto ticket you might get lucky with one or t'other), assuming it's DEXIII fluid it runs BNT do 20l of Fuchs ATF at very reasonable prices.

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

Fluid and filter - filter is important, too. Does your car have a dipstick/trans filler tube? If not, when under the car, remove the trans filler plug first. It's monumentally frustrating to remove the drain plug, drop the fluid, and then find you can't get the filler plug undone...

19 minutes ago, Olaf said:

BNT do 20l of Fuchs ATF at very reasonable prices.

I really shoulda thoughta that. Just bought 8l of Castrol Dex3... 

Edited by gjm

A fluid and filter change will not change anything with those faults. A second hand trans or rebuild will be your only options

• Like 1

sounds like your trans is stuffed

i have a nice 4hp22 trans . just check the tah and plug pin count etc

can ship etc

IMG_8149.JPG

IMG_8150.JPG

IMG_8151.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, *Glenn* said:

A fluid and filter change will not change anything with those faults. A second hand trans or rebuild will be your only options

there ya go - the real oil.  buy the fluid and filter for the good used unit that you get to replace your old shagged one...

23 minutes ago, gjm said:

I really shoulda thoughta that. Just bought 8l of Castrol Dex3... 

last time I did it, worked out at about $6.50/litre... contrast that with retail 4l packs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Olaf said:

last time I did it, worked out at about $6.50/litre... contrast that with retail 4l packs.

I don't want to. ? 

Yes there is a dipstick for trans, fluid level is good , as for the oil itself its completley black and burnt through. 

I am aware Changing it wont remedy the issue completely , and am just hoping to get a little more life and time out of it .im absolutly planning to either replace or repair trans the car is absolutly worth putting money into 

Nearing 290,000kms

Also has a very strong nasty shudder vibration at 80km , either i speed up or brake to stop it. Could it be to do with suspension componants or something hydraulic? 

3 minutes ago, Jimmyjamese32 said:

Yes there is a dipstick for trans, fluid level is good , as for the oil itself its completley black and burnt through. 

I am aware Changing it wont remedy the issue completely , and am just hoping to get a little more life and time out of it .im absolutly planning to either replace or repair trans the car is absolutly worth putting money into 

Nearing 290,000kms

Also has a very strong nasty shudder vibration at 80km , either i speed up or brake to stop it. Could it be to do with suspension componants or something hydraulic? 

the trans is stuffed ,

vibrations , worn , thrust arm bushes , control arms , steering idler dush , track rod joints worn etc etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As above but id check the wheel balance and tyres first. You can swap the front wheels to the rear vise versa and see if there is any difference.

When the trans is that far gone (especially a clutch type) changing the oil is often worse for it because you lose all the friction lining material in the oil which is most likely the only thing helping it now. 

Very common on 4HP22 to have clutch and convertor lock up issues, as well as valving issues from neglect. 

Second hand boxes are a gamble but less of a gamble than a cheap rebuild 

If it has a trans cooler, replace it with the box

Control arm bushes are super common on 32/34s. Pitman arms etc wear too 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jimmyjamese32 said:

Nearing 290,000kms

more life from it?  you said it won't go into reverse!  There is no more life!  

I was typing out the same thing dirtydoogle said above... 

• Like 1

Well this is all until i signed up on here, i have had some good advice and i am leaning towards not changing oil and hunting down a tranny 

And i try avoid having to reverse wer i park but ive had to push her backwards couple times , just reminding the old girl its ok , ive got ya , rest up old slag ahaha

Edited by Jimmyjamese32
  • Haha 1

Also in regards to the nasty shudder, i read a cause could be around steering column shaft . reached and grabbed shaft from engine bay . now should there be play? Little, some or nothing at all?