Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

E39 Ute Reboot

Well, it's been a while since I last looked at this project, mainly due to other projects, business and getting married. Oh and moving house and travels etc (any excuse really haha)

Original build http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/49495-e39-touring-to-ute-project/

As some of you may know, I recently brought the Ute out of storage where its been for the last 18 months. I spent a few days deciding what direction the project should take and what deadline.

I've chosen to go with a recently acquired decent PFL 540 that will be used as the foundation to power the ute, as trying to locate a donor M5 is just becoming near impossible. So for now, the plan is to run a super charged rebuilt M62 with padel shifts.

The following still needs to be done,
- Complete the Tailgate.
- Rear left chassis jack point needs rebuilding
- Review of the body work for surface rust, dings, misc things that need doing.
- Engine bay clean and detail
- A few wiring tidy ups
- Engine transplant along with drive shaft, diff etc
- Super charger kit for the M62
- Adjustable Suspension
- Custom deck cover
- Full respray, colour yet to be decided
- Certification and re registration.

If you or anyone you know is good with a welder, PM for some extra cash work

• Like 4

Over the last week, I've made descent way on the tailgate section, getting all the wiring and structure pieces cut up and welded.

Welds aren't the best as the metal on that side of the chassis is rather thin. Pin holes will be filled with deck liner and the end bits will be sealed with heavy duty weather resistant silicone.

IMG_20180810_165334.jpg

IMG_20180811_095740.jpg

IMG_20180810_170318.jpg

20180317_134928.jpg

20180317_143356.jpg

20180324_125013.jpg

Hinge needs to be aligned slightly, but opens and closes pretty well. 

Edited by francoisv
  • Like 8

great to see you're underway with this again, Francois!

Great to see this project up and going again.

Thanks guys. It's good to be able to start working on it again.

Made some progress on the the minor imperfections that needed to be covered up at the rear. Will sand down and shape tomorrow followed by some Epoxy primer.

Still deciding on the rear licence plate location. Use the existing in the tailgate, or weld up and relocate to rear bumper

IMG_20180812_105639.jpg

IMG_20180812_105630.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 9:36 AM, qube said:

i like the name of this thread.. "re-boot"

Haha yea I thought so too.

Okay so I have Clint from LVVCA coming to have a look at the ute next month.

Anyone had much dealings with him?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, francoisv said:

Okay so I have Clint from LVVCA coming to have a look at the ute next month.

Anyone had much dealings with him?

I haven't personally, but everyone I spoke to about a cert recommended him over everyone else.

11 hours ago, zero said:

I haven't personally, but everyone I spoke to about a cert recommended him over everyone else.

Thanks mate, that's the vibe I get from everyone too. Let's hope it all goes well

Not much of an update as I'm waiting on Clint from LVVT to come see the ute (he is scheduled in for tomorrow) , but had these arrive in the other day, almost all the puzzle pieces now to finish it off before paint.

IMG_20180913_175442.jpg

IMG_20180913_175447.jpg

Edited by francoisv
  • Like 1

Wow the taillights really make a big difference.

11 hours ago, zero said:

Wow the taillights really make a big difference.

Yea they do. They actually helped with deciding on a final colour too. Going with the Audi Nardo Grey, with everything else black

• Like 1

So over the last month or two, i have been going over the car and "fixing" the small detail stuff that needs doing. Things like some minor dings in the body work, re doing some welds, and started the repair work on the jack points that were quite damaged by rust as well as having the donor engine looked over and all looks good for engine transplant over Christmas. Not many photos yet, as its not very interesting. Getting the car ready for the engine swap will be a good mile stone and then look at paint early next year, but will hold off on spaying the deck tray until the below has been addressed.

A certifier has been out and was pretty hard case. He refused to acknowledge anything the previous certifier had inspected and requested i open the tray panels up for investigation. I have been in touch with the LVVTA and another certifier to work around this, so will see how that goes. Understandably he is putting his name on the build as a sign off, but its a good case of how different every inspector is. LVVTA suggested i engage another certifier as the regulations are around safety ad impact to the driver / passenger cabin and since i have not made any adjustments or modifications to the front cabin, that should be taken into consideration etc etc - Not really sure how that all pans out

In other news, I have just purchased the below - yes, its the same plate as the one in Aussie, but i dont care and it suits the car quite well. I did put a space between the M and the U ?  

plate.png

• Like 3

I heard a certifier in Auckland lost his licence for giving certs on cars that weren't up to standard, so I'm sure all the other certifiers are being extra cautious.

Was Clint the cert guy you used?

3 hours ago, zero said:

I heard a certifier in Auckland lost his licence for giving certs on cars that weren't up to standard, so I'm sure all the other certifiers are being extra cautious.

Was Clint the cert guy you used?

Original Cert fella was Lance Welsh, then yea, Clint came and had a look and dismisses pretty much everything Lance had done...

• Sad 1

Edging slowly towards the finish line. Been busy repairing the rear jack points (using parts from the donor car) - bloody rust not so good.

Should have both sides completed within the week, and then it's time to start preparing for the engine swap from the 540 donor

Screenshot_20190114_160923.jpg

IMG_20190114_151632.jpg

IMG_20190114_161414.jpg

IMG_20190112_120405.jpg

Screenshot_20190114_183510.jpg

Edited by francoisv

And in other news, finally got around to purchasing the suspension

IMG_20190114_151503.jpg

IMG_20190114_151454.jpg

• Like 4

So after shopping and looking for a set of rear coil overs that would fit, I was about to pull the trigger on getting the lads at PitStop Penrose to get a custom set made up. The cost would have been an additional $750, however, as luck would have it, my brother purchases a new set of BC coilovers last year, off Facebook, believing it was for a Honda Accord, but were for something else and did not fit. 

I decided to have a look at the rears of his set and BOOM, they were a perfect fit for the ute. Almost like they were made for the E39 Touring. So we mounted his shock to my housings and it fits like glove. Our own DIY Custom

Standard VS 'Custom'

IMG_20190123_172632.jpg

• Like 1

sweeeeeeeet!

Friday it was decided that the time had come for the long awaited heart transplant. So we began stripping the 2.8 out of the ute and marking all the bits and bobs. I then began striping the 4.4 and marking it's bits and bobs for match up to the ute. Was easiest to drop the entire subframe from both cars as to just swap them over ? the plan for this week is to get the M62 stripped, cleaned and rebuilt, as well as giving the utes engine bay a good clean and tidy up.

IMG_20190330_163208.jpg

IMG_20190330_163213.jpg

IMG_20190401_090513.jpg

• Like 10

Started stripping down the M62 and replacing a few bits and bobs like sensors etc.

Have also decided on Galaxy Purple for the rocker covers and a few other pieces too. Should match up with the flat Audi / Lambo Grey quite well.

Should have the motor and subframe back in within the next week days, hopefully before I head to Bali

IMG_20190420_113519.jpg

IMG_20190420_114331.jpg

IMG_20190420_114615.jpg

IMG_20190420_115044.jpg

IMG_20190420_151711.jpg

IMG_20190420_155124.jpg

IMG_20190420_155130.jpg

• Like 1

Today's progress was slow, due to that damn water pump. What a pita of a thing to remove and in the process, I broke the pully - sigh. However it was not a complete loss, managed to finish the rocker covers (one of my favourite colours), replaced the Sump gasket, oil pump O-rings and started cleaning the subframe and thermosta

IMG_20190421_092721.jpg

IMG_20190421_093550.jpg

IMG_20190421_092709.jpg

IMG_20190421_145543.jpg

IMG_20190421_102200.jpg

• Like 1