Sign in to follow this  
balancerider

towbar fitting to F31 3 series

Have been looking at towbar options for my wagon (no serious towing envisaged, but sometimes useful to be able to hook up a trailer). 

The OEM BMW option seems the best (PDC integration) and it would certainly be nice to stop it hurting my eyes by folding under the bumper when not required, however paying north of $2.5k for the privilege seems a bit OTT. 

Has anyone used the NZ Manufacturers ( Lockon etc) or alternatively has experience with the UK towbars (Westfalia / Witter) - suspect their ball is different?

The BMW NZ supplied option is the Westfalia removeable tongue mounted onto an NZ made beam which includes the provision of safety chain attachments. This gives you the facility of removing the tongue to save your eyes, and shins, when not in use. There are tongues avaiable in both ball sizes 1"7/8ths and 50mm.

I am currently using this bar with a canbus wiring module to integrate the PDC, etc when towing and also works correctly with LED lights on trailers on my company cars it works well. Is simple to fit and I have moved it across about four or five cars now so can do it in less than an hour.

• Like 2

My bar and wiring kit may be coming up for sale in the near future if you are interested. The tongue i've got is the inch an seven eigths size, but you can buy a 50mm version for it if that's what you need.

• Like 1