Sign in to follow this  
FIAT 131R

WARNING WARNING WARNING

Warning folks do not use Youshop.   They are a complete disaster.   My parcel costs $144 to ship.   It arrived in NZ on 3 August 2018 and it's still sitting there .   I have had a number of "updates" saying it is still waiting clearance.   I had already provided proof of purchase to Youshop along with a PayPal invoice.   I have phoned and sent and received quite a number of emails to try and get the fees paid.   Progress after 12 days and much effort is zero.  I have provided another copy of proof of purchase etc and nothing changes.

Don't use the useless mongrels.

Where were your items shipping from?

I'm using Kiwi Shipping (essentially Mainfreight... I think) presently and so far they seem very organised (shipping from the US by sea).  I believe they have depots in the UK too, maybe elsewhere.

I always felt YouShop was a bit of a rip in terms of shipping costs.

• Like 1

I've had similar experiences (although not involving quite so much cost).

It's a shame that what could be such a useful service is so badly let down once the parcel arrives in NZ.

Slightly west of that - I recently had the misfortune to have a large shipment (necessitating an NZ Customs Client Code), sent via USPS... which links with NZ Post here.  That’s the weakest link.   Hours (not joking) spent on the phone with various NZ Post reps.  I don’t object to paying for brokerage; though I do expect something approaching *service* for my money!  The crowning glory was, having paid my fees for GST, Brokerage, Insoection etc and the parcel was moving again, trying to arrange a redirect.  30 minutes on the phone with numerous reps, claiming nothing could be done until the parcel reached Highbrook.  WTF?  I challenged that I had no way of knowing, as the only updates were ‘regional processing’, and local Wellington inconsistent at best.  Giving up, I turned to their website and found I could initiate the redirect immediately!  Their call Centre staff don’t have a scooby, don’t have the right scripts, and their processes are totally broken.  It took nearly a month to get my parcel.  I wasn’t concerned about time to deliver, what was unreasonable was the amount of my time that NZ Post consumed.  I should invoice them. /rant

Contrast that with FedEx (who I usually use for shipments from MyUS.com)... Saturday morning phone call “Hi Mr Olaf, FedEx here, advising we’ve emailed you about a package that’s on its way to you out of the USA.  Just call back with your credit card number, pay the import fees, and we’ll have that to you on Tuesday”.  I paid Monday morning and arranged for it to be held at depot during the same call.  It arrived Monday midday.  FedEx don’t even charge for the brokerage!  

NZ Post are completely broken.

• Like 2

Fedex never charged gst on the freight either the 2x i used them.

4 hours ago, Eagle said:

Fedex never charged gst on the freight either the 2x i used them.

I've used them plenty.  they only charge if it's over the limit.  when I'm bringing in company stuff, I use my client code... somewhere along the line I pay GST - whether it's with the carrier, or through my cashbook and GST reconciliation.

These kinds of posts are pointless because each case is special and it certainly isnt going to be enough to deter anyone to use it. Just use with caution and know what to expect.

I personally had a bad experience with youshop as they (without my knowledge or approval) combined two shipments from the same supplier that I ordered on two separate days one for myself one for a friend and they taxed me on the total value despite both orders being under threshhold if calculated individually.

On the flipside, I know another who has saved hundreds of dollars on multiple small shipments costing only $10 to land with youshop rather than the usual $40-50 on UPS etc.

Would I use youshop again? yes, I would. But it would totally depend on the value of goods, supplier, urgency, and other factor before I decide so.

• Like 2

I have used Youshop on numerous occasions & all have been seamless but a couple. One for an expensive package of air (US packaging) I paid but argued the toss after receiving it - suggesting they could/should have repackaged it - a service they claimed to offer. They refunded me down to the size of the original box. Another was about 10 days delay from them receiving the item to informing me they had it.

Admittedly i can't recall a GST required transaction with them. It has always been either under the threshold or flown under the radar.

Ultimately I have saved hundreds in using them. Most/many  US outfits offer free internal shipping & if infact offering international - usually ridiculous cost, certainly more than Youshop.

I stopped using youshop when they had moved premises but didn't update their web page or inform anyone..  A few items were never seen again.

Kiwishipping have always been great.  However their prices have increased quite a bit recently.  I'm using a freight forwarder out of Baltimore at the moment.  But I have to hand the goods to them in Bodymore itself.  They are cheap.  I will ask if they will accept mailed orders next time I am up there.

I agree on Kiwi Shipping but this time thought I would try Youshop as the parcel was relatively small.  Never again.   Today after waiting only 13 days I got the invoice.   Youshop should change their name to USELESS SHOP.

Edited by FIAT 131R

6 hours ago, Driftit said:

I stopped using youshop when they had moved premises but didn't update their web page or inform anyone..  A few items were never seen again.

Kiwishipping have always been great.  However their prices have increased quite a bit recently.  I'm using a freight forwarder out of Baltimore at the moment.  But I have to hand the goods to them in Bodymore itself.  They are cheap.  I will ask if they will accept mailed orders next time I am up there.

Goodness. Fancy a business specializing in freight forwarding forgetting to inform their customers of their address change. 

You’ve been visiting Baltimore? Here’s your theme tune, then:

15 hours ago, qube said:

These kinds of posts are pointless because each case is special and it certainly isnt going to be enough to deter anyone to use it. Just use with caution and know what to expect.

I personally had a bad experience with youshop as they (without my knowledge or approval) combined two shipments from the same supplier that I ordered on two separate days one for myself one for a friend and they taxed me on the total value despite both orders being under threshhold if calculated individually.

I beg to differ, Kyu.  Freight forwarding is fairly straightforward, so one should naturally expect a range of service running from ‘good’ to ‘great’.  These threads are useful to establish how far outside of that range some of the operators are.

Not everyone enjoys my favoured provider, MyUS.  I’ve never seen a bad word in print about shipitto.  On the other hand, the regularity of people reporting disfavorable - or even plain dreadful - Service from YouShop is impossible to ignore.  As you say - know what to expect?

In closing, I’d suggest nothing about standard freight forwarding is special, unless there’s exceptional service. ?

• Like 2

I am working in logistics and dealing with freight forwarders on a daily basis and whilst I do agree with some of your comments,  I still think that the OP's post is useless because he is taking his 1 experience and telling people "do not use youshop".

Freight forwarding in itself when looking at it as a one dimensional operation to move an object from one place to another, is a simple thing. Nothing special.

But as a whole operation on a global scale it is certainly not one dimensional nor simple. Sure, the level of service you get may vary depending on the company and level of training and a bunch of other factors. In some cases, it is just a simple thing such as lack of contact information that delays parcels because freight companies dont have a contact number or email to call and ask for payment of tax/gst whatever until you call in with a tracking number. This is because whoever has shipped it has not put in your details in full or you didnt provide it in the first instance.

Like I said, there are way too many factors involved that makes or breaks a freight forwarding experience at the consumer level and one story (with hardly any relevant details) doesnt do anything to deter me from using or considering using youshop again.

Sure, if more people chime in and have more to say then maybe others who read this can make their own judgement but then again you gotta remember, people jump onto forums and write anything bad or negative based on one experience but rarely do they praise the good and make recommendations in the same caliber. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, qube said:

I am working in logistics and dealing with freight forwarders on a daily basis and whilst I do agree with some of your comments,  I still think that the OP's post is useless because he is taking his 1 experience and telling people "do not use youshop".

We can add my experiences to Geoff's... I have tried a few times to use YouShop, and it's invariably been a tortuous and drawn-out, essentially untracked affair. I think I posted details of a couple of attempts on the 'rant' thread?

The biggest SNAFU seems to be around customs and clearance which may not be down to YouPost (NZPost). However, there is absolutely no attempt to track a delivery through that process. Typically, NZPost's tracking shows the item to have left the country of origin but nothing more, while the overseas shipper's tracking shows the item to have landed at (Auckland) airport and be awaiting customs clearance. NZPost seem unaware of the package at this stage.
Then there is the matter of actual delivery and tracking in NZ. It takes longer to get from Auckland airport to a point of delivery than it takes to get from Nowheresville, USA (for example) to Auckland Airport. Throw in that the tracking doesn't update in NZ and that items are often delivered days before showing as being out for delivery...

Whatever you do, do NOT ask for an expedited delivery from an overseas shipper. It is truly a complete waste of time and money. 

• Like 2

Yep, fair point, Kyu.  I failed to include my assumption that one provides all the necessary information, when initiating the shipment.

that, and I have pointed out the contrast - NZ Post will not phone the addressees phone number to initiate contact, instead sending a letter.  FedEx calls ahead proactively.

I regularly praise the delivery efforts of MyUS and FedEx.  And sometimes even DHL, though the courierpost connection makes it more haphazard.

Edited by Olaf
Praise and contrast

I am all about sharing experiences and information being available so others can make an educated decision. The internet and forums, twitter, facebook, whatever makes it easy to point fingers but also to praise and give commends.

I personally think that NZ post has come a long way since kind of dying they have revived their business with youshop. I mean in Auckland they are literally rolling out those buggy carts to deliver mail. bloody heck!!

I think youshop is perfect for small low value items that you dont need urgently. Ship it with the US free shipping to your youshop box, consolidate it all together and bring it to NZ all together at a low rate. Trying to use this service like Fedex or DHL is like trying to get M3 performance out of a 318i and crying why wont it go faster.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, qube said:

I think youshop is perfect for small low value items that you dont need urgently. Ship it with the US free shipping to your youshop box, consolidate it all together and bring it to NZ all together at a low rate. Trying to use this service like Fedex or DHL is like trying to get M3 performance out of a 318i and crying why wont it go faster.

The consolidation is one of the pluses of using YouShop, although they can be quite restrictive on the amount of time they'll hold something at their overseas facility. Understandable - they don't want to act as a free storage facility for things.
However, you have to be very smart about how you use consolidation. As I've detailed before, the cost of shipping goes up, and up, until you reach a critical mass with your orders at which point it suddenly becomes economic again - the price for shipping 6 items consolidated is significantly less than 5 (for example) because the 5 somehow don't 'qualify' for consolidation.

It does work eventually, but as suggested - don't be in a hurry to receive anything. And keep your total shipping value (including all postage and insurance costs) under the threshold for imposition of duties - anything over that, and all bets are off.

^and this is where it requires due diligence and a bit of experience/knowledge (which is probably what we need to be sharing on the forum not just ranting - there is a separate thread for that!)

5 hours ago, qube said:

I do the same thing with MyUS, and prefer to pay FedEx or DHL because the service is so much better.  I'm getting M3 performance for the price of a 320i ///M.

21 hours ago, qube said:

On the flipside, I know another who has saved hundreds of dollars on multiple small shipments costing only $10 to land with youshop rather than the usual $40-50 on UPS etc.

Would I use youshop again? yes, I would. But it would totally depend on the value of goods, supplier, urgency, and other factor before I decide so.

Thats exactly what they did to me, two shipments seperated by a few days they combined them and then I had to pay GST. W*nkers.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Olaf said:

I've used them plenty.  they only charge if it's over the limit.  when I'm bringing in company stuff, I use my client code... somewhere along the line I pay GST - whether it's with the carrier, or through my cashbook and GST reconciliation.

Yeah they charge GST if its over the limit but as you know they don't charge it on freight costs. If it goes thru NZ customs\NZ Post they will happily charge you GST on you 200 USD freight cost as well as them item which is pretty bs

21 hours ago, qube said:

Had the same issue once expect i paid youshop the postage for 2 separate parcels. Once the were in NZ customs lumped them together as once as tried charging me GST. I complained and they forwarded them to me.

Otherwise they are been fine for me. UK you shop took 6 days to see a delivery but im giving them another shot.

25 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

Thats exactly what they did to me, two shipments seperated by a few days they combined them and then I had to pay GST. W*nkers.

wow.  sounds like no control with you shop.  with myus, I have my own suite. A street address, telephone number.  I have secure access to my suite on-line, get to select what happens to each shipment... wait for others to combine.  I get emails (and app notifications) when another item arrives.  I get packaging options, freight co options... it's all down to me.  total control.  I get free photos if they think there's damage; I can pay for photos if I want to inspect regular shipments.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 7:08 AM, Driftit said:

YouShop did that too? Kiwishipping certainly did it and I got caught up in the middle. Thank God my purchase was from Amazon who have some of the world's best customer service.

As a result of the monumental cock up I did get an Eibach Pro Plus kit of springs and bars air freighted to NZ and my total cost was GST on the cost of that Air Freight (~$40) and customs clearance (~$60). I didn't pay for the kit or the shipping and because the kit invoice now said US$0 there was no GST on that.

37 minutes ago, M3AN said:

As a result of the monumental cock up I did get an Eibach Pro Plus kit of springs and bars air freighted to NZ and my total cost was GST on the cost of that Air Freight (~$40) and customs clearance (~$60). I didn't pay for the kit or the shipping and because the kit invoice now said US$0 there was no GST on that.

Would you like jam on that, sir? ;) 

Wow.

• Haha 1

I use YouShop all the time. Only problems so far have been 2 times that I included oil and grease, which aren't allowed ? There is often a delay between the item arrivng, and when they say its arrived... but the shipping is cheap.

I have a 17 inch wheel coming from the US for NZ$89-50 currently... MyUS STARTS at NZ$201!, Fedex etc are totally ridiculous!

Even Kiwishipping by SEA was only marginally cheaper, and they've still not replied to my enquiry email from early in the week. Too late now anyway - YouShop has worked out cheaper/faster.

The worst part, is US sellers using STUPID big boxes for stuff - YouShop say they don't rebox car parts, but they often do, anyway.

I still have the other 3 wheels to order yet... individually, to avoid customs :lol: But I'm ordering each one, after the last one leaves the US

Edited by Allanw
  • Like 2