Sign in to follow this  
qube

The importance of Full Cover Insurance

1 hour ago, qube said:

Anyone have a recommendation for someone to value the car or damage assessment?

My apologies, Kyu. Got a bit carried away.

Are you after a quote for repair? Or a pre-accident valuation?

4 hours ago, qube said:

Reading the aa policy it says they will pay out $4000 against damage from uninsured party but i see a problem in the wording. 

They will pay upto $4000 of repairs if safe to do so. Otherwise they will pay out $4000 but keep the car in which case that doesnt work for me my wheels are worth that much. 

And i dont think they will give me $4000 and my car too.. damn.

Can you swap wheels or is that considered insurance fraud?

@qube - where is the car now? Unless you've specifically declared the wheels on your policy (no because it's only 3rd party) then go and get them and swap on any old rubbish. Same for any other valuable accessories. You want to get the value down as much as possible.

And get a labour-only estimate for the repair and get a spare parts list from Brent or somebody and, unless it's chassis damaged, that might get the repair cost down enough? Or you might have to top it up but it's better than walking away with nothing.

Sorry to see this mate, glad everybody is okay.

One thing that isnt certain is if i make a claim with AA and get $4000 does that eliminate any payout chances with the guy at fault? 

Also re wheels i think im not allowed to make changes to the car since if i make a claim then the car becomes AAs to salvage and sell. Stupid af..

I think this is where 3rd party works in your favour.

You still own the car, you can do with it what you want. AA are not a party to the car because they weren't insuring the car (comprehensive) they were insuring the driver (3rd party).

Even if you have already made a claim, as long as the loss hasn't been assessed (AA's responsibility) then you can still get the wheels (and any anything else you've added).

Their $4000 offer isn't "insurance" and it's not based on the value of your car. It could be a Ferrari on 19's or a Corolla with 15's and they'd still offer $4000. So by swapping anything out whilst ensuring it's still complete you're not ripping anyone off.

Once an assessor has valued it you can't touch it so get in quick.

• Thanks 1

update: have gone to the tow yard and arranged car to be towed home until I decide what to do. $500 gone

Chassis rails are bent and to make matters worse the bloody bonnet fell on my hand to add injury to damaged car. nice!

• Sad 3

Okay, well now that you've got it, strip it of anything valuable and get a quote from the likes of Brent or Ray to take it away - if they'll pay you more than $4k take their offer, if not then make a claim and get the $4k from AA.

Not ideal but you now need to minimise your loss. Pursue the difference from the other driver through the courts if you can be bothered.

33 minutes ago, qube said:

update: have gone to the tow yard and arranged car to be towed home until I decide what to do. $500 gone

Chassis rails are bent and to make matters worse the bloody bonnet fell on my hand to add injury to damaged car. nice!

Was it $500 in tow fees!

There is nothing valuable in it except the wheels to be honest. And the low low kms engine..

and yes tow fees.. bloody scammers

Buy an e30 shell and swap everything over??

• Like 6

5 hours ago, qube said:

and yes tow fees.. bloody scammers

$500?  Where was the accident, Taupo?! 

4 hours ago, aja540i said:

Buy an e30 shell and swap everything over??

^ this!

dont have the time or space for a project.

apparently its two tows + storage overnight = $470 something.

Can't stress this enough as dealing with something similar. Recently purchased a new car for the Mrs and hadn't sorted any type of insurance in the week after buying the car, she was hit by a young dude with 3rd party. Great, his insurance will cover ours, well not unless he pays his excess which he is refusing to do so do to 'lack of money which I doubt... 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Can't stress this enough as dealing with something similar. Recently purchased a new car for the Mrs and hadn't sorted any type of insurance in the week after buying the car, she was hit by a young dude with 3rd party. Great, his insurance will cover ours, well not unless he pays his excess which he is refusing to do so do to 'lack of money which I doubt... 

That's interesting, and useful to know. I didn't know that an insurance payout on a 3rd party basis still required an excess to be paid by the insurance holder.

Kinda negates any purpose in having 3rd party insurance if he can get away with that. :(

If only I could pay $500 or even $800 "excess" to get our car written off and paid out...

Seriously though. Full cover or nothing from now on. 

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

You wonder why he's even bothering to pay for insurance? 

File a claim with the Disputes Tribunal if you have his details - he'll soon work out that it's better just to pay the excess.

14 hours ago, M3AN said:

You wonder why he's even bothering to pay for insurance? 

File a claim with the Disputes Tribunal if you have his details - he'll soon work out that it's better just to pay the excess.

Yep that is what we are going to do. Even offered to pay half of the excess to avoid any hassle but not interested in that either

• Like 1

Exactly why I've always held the motto of better being over insured than under.. even worth seeing a broker if your vehicle is worth it.  And because you're insured from the moment you finalise it with your insurer Vs having actually made payments (obviously this is all accounted for if an incident occurs, but you're still covered) - I won't drive away from picking up a new car without insurance confirmed.. too many horror stories have me paranoid.  Sorry to hear about all the stories above - such bullsh*t huh!  I work for a law firm so I haven't had anyone attempt to pull anything on me yet when it comes to accidents *knock on wood*!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gaz said:

Seems like the insurance companies change the rules based on what favours them in the situation.

Long time ago when I had a crap car and only 3rd party, I crashed into the back of another car. My insurance company paid THEIR insurance company the costs minus the excess, then the other parties insurance company contacted me direct to demand I pay the excess within a few days. 

I bet if you had full insurance they'd make the other insurance pay and you wouldn't have to deal with the unpleasant stuff. 

Not too long ago I had a billboard fall on my 335i and did some minor damage. Initially  I had to pay the excess to the repair shop, but my insurance company (Trademe Insurance) dealt with the other party and once they recovered the costs, they paid me back my excess. 

59 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

Seems like the insurance companies change the rules based on what favours them in the situation.

Long time ago when I had a crap car and only 3rd party, I crashed into the back of another car. My insurance company paid THEIR insurance company the costs minus the excess, then the other parties insurance company contacted me direct to demand I pay the excess within a few days. 

I bet if you had full insurance they'd make the other insurance pay and you wouldn't have to deal with the unpleasant stuff. 

If we had insurance then car would be fixed and he would probably have a Baycorp notice. That's ok, his house is on my way home so I don't mind stopping off every other day to see how things are going

• Haha 2

On 8/16/2018 at 11:12 PM, gjm said:

This.

Make insurance compulsory (and it's no coincidence that the biggest campaigners for that are the insurance companies) and the premiums will go up. All the 'competition will make the market stable' claims will mean nothing - exactly this has happened in the UK. New drivers may spend as little as £500 to buy a car, and face £2500-3500 in annual insurance premiums.

At present, the voluntary nature of insurance in NZ means that you buy insurance to cover yourself. Make insurance compulsory, and you're buying it to cover everyone else.

Sorry - I feel this is worth reinstating.

This is $5000 - $7000 in insurance. Sounds ridiculous? No-one in the UK ever admitted it was even the remotest possibility until it happened.

Oh, but it'll be the law... Hah! As if that'll stop anyone faced with a $5k+ bill for insurance. :(  More burned-out shells on the side of the road.. "Musta bin nicked, off sir... I wuz off me face, innit? Woodn drive like that, wood I???"

(Yes - this post fueled by animosity towards uninsured, off-their-faces drivers [in their 20s] who couldn't care less about young families driving carefully...)