Sign in to follow this  
SteveArmy90

First euro - Hi From the Wairarapa

Hi all. Just bought a '08 135i ex-japan, and it's my first euro. It's done 50,000km. Traded from a K20 Euro R. I'm excited to finally have a well documented, well supported (at least by the consumer) vehicle with lots of information and DIY's available.  

I did lots of reading and took the punt on the N54, my reasoning being that I'm going to keep it stock. What I can't find is how we deal with the HPFP issue in NZ. The dealer must have had it warmed up for my test drive as after that and the long drive home from Auckland - you guessed it - it cranks for about 2-3sec before starting when cold and then idles rough until warm.  Without bogging down my intro post, should I leave it until it codes? It won't lean-out or hurt itself in some way? I have 3 years of mechanical warranty but I have yet to read the policy so it could be useless. I'm aware that it could just be injectors, too, but I'd be keen to just drive it for a week and see if it settles down.

Look forward to talking with you ? Stevo.

IMG_20180818_194144.thumb.jpg.b90b0f647201500d6ea6168b24aa9473.jpg

IMG_20180818_194159.thumb.jpg.134d1dac96b452635876b3bb259dfbec.jpg

• Like 3

Hey - great looking car!

For the cold start issue, I would talk to the dealer. It sounds like something that should be covered under the consumer guarentees act. 

Tim

• Like 1

G'day and welcome Steve - nice wee wagon (well, not literally)... have been thinking about one of these for my next upgrade. I bet it's a blast over the hill!

1 hour ago, drtimwright said:

For the cold start issue, I would talk to the dealer. It sounds like something that should be covered under the consumer guarentees act. 

Thanks for your reply Tim. I shall take it up with them tomorrow. I feel like they'll just palm me off without a fault code or anything definitive but I"ll try! 

1 hour ago, SmithyInWelly said:

G'day and welcome Steve - nice wee wagon (well, not literally)... have been thinking about one of these for my next upgrade. I bet it's a blast over the hill!

Yeah mate I can't wait! I've had two Mazda MPS's and they were awesome on the hill but not really a well built car. Got the honda as a sensible car and that was awesome but only lasted a year. 135 will be my first RWD so I'll ease into it slowly haha.

• Like 1

Lack of fault code shouldn’t matter. Get a video of the problem so it’s documented. And if they say anything over the phone, email it to them so you have a written record. Dealers can be slimy at times. 

3 minutes ago, drtimwright said:

Get a video of the problem so it’s documented.. 

But, that means I have to stop driving it and let it cool ?. Definitely a good idea. Will do. 

This dealer tried asking $900 for putting NZ maps on the car. When I refused and said don't do it (someone on TM offers it for $99. All it is, is a DVD!), they rang the next day and tried to say that it had already been done by mistake and demanded the money. I Just refused. Could be a fun experience moving forward based on that....

A quick google suggested it might be the battery or the cables connecting the battery. When car is warm the battery has just been charged so is at max charge. 

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2651707-weak-cranking-during-cold-startup/

however the rough idle points to the injectors. This page has some ideas how to check and diagnose that - but if your oil smells like petrol then you need to fix ASAP as leaky injectors can damage your pistons. 

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65675

The thread you linked definitely sounds exactly like it. I'll go have a sniff. I don't think it'll be the battery, it cranks quite fast and the battery is brand new. 

I've read this thread extensively before buying: https://www.bmwn54tuners.com/8-most-common-bmw-n54-engine-problems/ . 

This guide also looks good: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651538

I wonder if we have the same problems with carbon in NZ with our different fuel/driving style. I've read direct injection means no difference but I haven't wrapped my head around whether that's correct or not. Thank you for taking the time to look all of this up for me. I really appreciate it!

Welcome Stephen and congrats on the 135i! 

MBIs/warranties are great but pre-existing conditions won't typically be covered so it will be best to get the dealer to sort it - including getting an independent check done by somebody who knows what they're doing.

Be aware that for a lot of nav system changes from Japanese spec to NZ (say for E60) it is a mix of hardware and software. Not sure what it is for a 135i. Somebody like Eurosurgeon would know.

Have tagged you on to a couple of local events.

Edited by TermiPeteNZ
  • Like 1

Thank you for the tags @TermiPeteNZ, I will try to get there this Saturday and will definitely come to the Palliser run. That's a great idea to get it checked independently. The place that's checking my current problems in masterton (this thread) is quite good. I might get them to do just that while they have it. As for the NAV, I asked for them not to do it and I pushed that point with them. I ended up paying half as a compromise.

• Like 1

Welcome! I also moved from a long line of Hondas to a 135i and it's been awesome. Hope your issues get sorted and it's nothing major. Looks like a really tidy example

You just wanted to one up my 330ci’s exhaust note right? ;)