Sign in to follow this  
Jimmyjamese32

E32 m35 735il No 1 rocker arm intake broke

Can I please have advice and suggestions on the best way to attack this, head on or off? , just wanting to replace the broke part for now. 

Advice please

It can be done with the head on but i doubt anyone would recommend it esp since its on cylinder 1 - rocker shafts have to slide out the front of the engine and you need certain tools and knowledge. Lots of time and effort for a sometime that isn't guaranteed. 

If you are taking the head off you it would be dumb just the replace 1 rocker and put it back together., another one arm could easily fail and you may have other issues with the head, plus you'd need to check it for warpage and get a new gasket etc otherwise you risk it leaking. Its just not worth the time and money. 

The only 2 options i see worth doing to fix the problem are:

1. Replace the head with a checked 2nd hand one and a new gasket set

2. Put an entire new engine in (replace the transmission at the same time). These motors are typically 600-800 but you can find bargains around and its probably easier to find a complete motor than a separate head

• Thanks 1