Sign in to follow this  
BimmerF30

How to tell remap

Hello, i was wondering how to tell if my 2012 F30 has been remapped by previous owner? Im asking as it feels very torque and pulls on every gear without a problem. I have even driven a remapped f10 2012 and it doesnt feel as torquay as my F30.

What model F30 is it? and what model F10 are you comparing against? F10 is a bit heavier than an F30 so a more powerful engine in that could still feel a bit less torquey.

I would have thought that if the car had been re-mapped then the seller would have told you this when you bought it, as it would have been used as a selling point and to make the car sound better than others of the same model. But you never know..

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

the seller would have told you this when you bought it, as it would have been used as a selling point and to make the car sound better than others of the same model. But you never know..

Sometimes especially with new imports they dont even know.

But anyway, yes, tell us what model F30 it is.. and then let me drive it!

Theres your answer.

320d 2012-2015 N47D20 135 kW (181 bhp) 
@ 4,000 rpm
380 N⋅m (280 lb⋅ft) 
@ 1,750-2,750 rpm

I guess you are comparing it to a petrol F10? 528i maybe?

Power delivery from the diesel is very different to an equivalent petrol, or even a slightly larger capacity petrol. The torque curve for the diesel sees higher values down low in the rev range, so it does feel very different. Probably different gear ratios to make the most of the different engines, which will affect how it "feels"

I would say it is most likely just the difference in engines, not a remap.

turbo diesels are also quite soft straight of idle but the turbo comes in very early and the accelleration can be quite brisk at modest throttle openings.The difference between normal and full on isnt as great as in a petrol engine imho.So to the the uniniiated a turbo diesel can be quite impressive