Sign in to follow this  
BrokeMyWallet

X5 4.8is - Valley Pan Leak

Hello Boys & Girls

I've got coolant dribbling out from the weep hole near the water pump area. I've already started taking this thing apart. I am planning on using the URO parts expanding pipe to rectify this.

So far, my parts list has the following
z2bdqc20.3em.png

Anything else I should "renew" while I'm in the are?

Already done along with valve stem seals ;)

Also I’m currently working on removing the manifold still. I need to get this one torx bit off (see pic) but can’t get my rachet handle on there because of the plastic shroud. 

Any trick to this? Maybe I could get a 1/4” spanner on the hex portion of the socket and back it out that way? 

AD1E930F-3133-40A4-A7C8-62B1B83D7BD5.jpeg

Edited by BrokeMyWallet

Ratcheting 1/4" spanner :)

On 8/20/2018 at 10:16 AM, BrokeMyWallet said:

Any trick to this? Maybe I could get a 1/4” spanner on the hex portion of the socket and back it out that way? 

This will work, but be damn sure the bit is snug in the hex or you risk stripping it out.

Edited by KwS

masking tape on socket then vice grip the socket, pretty sure I did that for my crank case vent valve.

Why can't you use a normal torx wrench on it?

Because I didn't have the right bit at the time, and even if I did I'd need some sort of low profile ratchet head to get at it. Anyway I managed to back it off using vice grips + masking tape!

After getting that done I promptly managed to strip one of the bolts on the VanOS Servo motor. Clearly this thing has been apart before, I can see the valve stem seals were done, god knows why they didn't do the valley pan at the same time ?

On 8/29/2018 at 1:41 PM, BrokeMyWallet said:

Because I didn't have the right bit at the time, and even if I did I'd need some sort of low profile ratchet head to get at it. Anyway I managed to back it off using vice grips + masking tape!

After getting that done I promptly managed to strip one of the bolts on the VanOS Servo motor. Clearly this thing has been apart before, I can see the valve stem seals were done, god knows why they didn't do the valley pan at the same time ?

Vice grips and masking tape, 60% of the time it works every time.

no point not using the right tools. because when you use the wrong tools, screw it up, try to solve the problem, and end up buying the correct tool to put it back together again any way, why wouldnt you.

• Like 1