Sign in to follow this  
Last Manual Standing

Who can code the Auto Stop/Start to be off by default?

Hi there, I had a search but couldn't find the anything so hopefully this isn't a double up.

I have an E92 M3 and want to make the Auto Stop/Start function stay off by default.  I asked both Auckland City BMW and BM Workshop but both said it's something they can't do -  but mentioned there are people who can. 

Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm stunned they lumbered an M car with such a POS option.

Just code launch control on, surely that can't live in harmony with stop/start?

• Like 1

Coded mine to remember last used setting, or could've coded it to be permanently off. Don't remember which one of the apps I used for this, though Carly or Bimmercode (which does not work with E-series). Can try Carly on yours if you're around central Auckland. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sobanoodle said:

Coded mine to remember last used setting, or could've coded it to be permanently off. Don't remember which one of the apps I used for this, though Carly or Bimmercode (which does not work with E-series). Can try Carly on yours if you're around central Auckland. 

Hi Sobanoodle, yep I'm central - that could be helpful, thanks. Haven't heard of Carly before - looks interesting. 

I normally turn it off when I start the car, but forget sometimes and it always catches me by surprise when it cuts out (then catches all the other motorists by surprise when it raucously fires up again)

19 hours ago, M3AN said:

Yeah, I'm stunned they lumbered an M car with such a POS option.

They didn't really have any choice, a sizeable proportion of the EU test cycle involves the "car" being at a standstill and the engine idling as this test is supposed to represent a real world driving scenario. Switching the engine off during those parts of the test saves valuable fuel and emissions which can then be off-set in other parts of the test to scrape through.

It was possible to program the function to be "off" on some models, but now cannot be done as it is changing the emissions profile of the car - even though you can switch it off manually in the car (which will probably disappear as a function in the near future..):wacko:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

It was possible to program the function to be "off" on some models, but now cannot be done as it is changing the emissions profile of the car - even though you can switch it off manually in the car (which will probably disappear as a function in the near future..):wacko:

Yep stopped that after the whole VW thing. If you have had it coded out, and if the vehicle gets a software update, the stop/start function will be reinstated