Sign in to follow this  
SteveArmy90

Newly purchased 135i running badly - beginning of a saga?

Well it  was one of the 3 most likely faults and unfortunately a known one. I agree dealers dont scan cars for faults especially if they are running right, just the way it is. If he pays for anew set of injectors and they are installed by a competent technician then a big win to Steve, if you have to go halves or something still a win as these are failure prone items and would have needed to be replaced at some time anyway. 

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, did you get a PPI before you bought the car?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BozzaFC said:

Just out of curiosity, did you get a PPI before you bought the car?

AA inspection was available but I didn't  purchase. 

1 hour ago, SteveArmy90 said:

AA inspection was available but I didn't  purchase. 

Do AA inspections check for stored codes if the CEL isnt lit?

Edited by KwS

An AA inspection would be waste of money on a car like this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KwS said:

Do AA inspections check for stored codes if the CEL isnt lit?

AA inspections don't remove any of the engine covers or undergrad so I doubt they check fault codes 

They claim that the quote from my mechanic in the Wairarapa is too expensive. They, get this, want to transport it to Auckland (from wellington), "fix it", then return it to me. I don't think so. I don't what the hell they're planning if transporting the car that far is cheaper. They've only taken this stance since the warranty refused to pay out. I've sent them a strongly worded email telling them to honor their agreement with me (in which they specified the mechanic they'd be using) , or refund me. 

I've also made an appointment with my Lawyer on Tuesday so we can go over the legislation and decide what to do. 

Edit: forgot to say something.

Edited by SteveArmy90
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, SteveArmy90 said:

They claim that the quote from my mechanic in the Wairarapa is too expensive. They, get this, want to transport it to Auckland (from wellington), "fix it", then return it to me. I don't think so. I don't what the hell they're planning if transporting the car that far is cheaper. They've only taken this stance since the warranty refused to pay out. I've sent them a strongly worded email telling them to honor their agreement with me (in which they specified the mechanic they'd be using) , or refund me. 

I've also made an appointment with my Lawyer on Tuesday so we can go over the legislation and decide what to do. 

Good luck. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SteveArmy90 said:

go hard.  that they were looking to leverage YOUR mechanical insurance to repair/resolve their merchantable goods issue was the first indicator of trouble.  My suggestion would be to steer your lawyer towards return of goods and full refund, plus your legal costs.  Appears - based on their behaviour - that further work on compromise just draws it out/weakens your position.

Let us know who the dealer is, too.  Help avoid doing business with them.

PS: if you must have a compromise position, it's that they transport it to Winger BMW in Wellington, and pay for the resolution there.

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 3

On 8/31/2018 at 7:48 PM, Olaf said:

Let us know who the dealer is, too.  Help avoid doing business with them.

PS: if you must have a compromise position, it's that they transport it to Winger BMW in Wellington, and pay for the resolution there.

Thanks guys. I'm planning on letting you know who they are once it all ends. That gives them a chance to paint themselves in a good light going forward, however unlikely that looks at the moment.

• Like 2

What a f**king headache XD 

I hope you still have something to drive while this gets resolved? 

On 8/31/2018 at 5:37 PM, SteveArmy90 said:

Why was the warranty even discussed?

They should be fixing it - not the warranty company.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zero said:

Either or, at least if the warranty covered it, it would be fixed....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zero said:

Cheaper for the dealer, they pay the excess for the customer and the issue gets fixed

• Like 1

23 hours ago, blake12 said:

What a f**king headache XD 

I hope you still have something to drive while this gets resolved? 

I'm in the fortunate position that we have a few cars in the family. I'm just driving one of those (yay, triton).

16 hours ago, KwS said:

Either or, at least if the warranty covered it, it would be fixed....

15 hours ago, Gaz said:

Cheaper for the dealer, they pay the excess for the customer and the issue gets fixed

^ Exactly to both. I paid for the warranty and don't get penalized by claiming on it. There is a ceiling on the cost of a claim, but no claim limit with it.

I understand and agree that, by principle, the warranty shouldn't have to pay for it and the dealer should front up, but if it means a fix then I'm not that fussed on how it happens.

I've talked to my lawyer and made a massive summary document of dates and what happened/what was said. I will also release that once the situation is all done and dusted. I am expecting my lawyer's advice today.

The mechanic that it's at apparently got a huge earful from the dealer and were told not to talk with me or share any information with me about what's wrong with the car! Yikes.

EDIT: They are, of course, sharing info with me anyway because i'm the freaking customer.

Edited by SteveArmy90

It is however ripping off the warranty company, possibly insurance fraud.

But haven't they rejected the claim as pre-existing? That's certainly the correct call if they have.

• Like 1

If they know that's its a pre existing fault then it definitely is insurance fraud, true. Would your view of them including the warranty just to cover themselves be that its insurance fraud? 

6 hours ago, SteveArmy90 said:

I've talked to my lawyer and made a massive summary document of dates and what happened/what was said. I will also release that once the situation is all done and dusted. I am expecting my lawyer's advice today.

The mechanic that it's at apparently got a huge earful from the dealer and were told not to talk with me or share any information with me about what's wrong with the car! Yikes.

EDIT: They are, of course, sharing info with me anyway because i'm the freaking customer.

That'll make for interesting reading.  We're all hoping it's resolved to your satisfaction.

The dealer sounds like a right arse.  Upsetting the workshop isn't going to help them.  And attempting to limit information further casts them in a bad light.  You have it right, you're the customer and owner of the car, they are paying the bill.

5 hours ago, SteveArmy90 said:

...Would your view of them including the warranty just to cover themselves be that its insurance fraud? 

Absolutely that would be fraud if they were doing it intentionally, probably even if it wasn't intentional.

The warranty company didn't provide mechanical insurance for a faulty car, only a good one.

Edited by M3AN

4 hours ago, M3AN said:

The warranty company didn't provide mechanical insurance for a faulty car, only a good one.

Well said.

7 hours ago, M3AN said:

Absolutely that would be fraud if they were doing it intentionally, probably even if it wasn't intentional.

Thanks! It's increasingly looking like it'll end up settled in a courtroom or the MVDT. I'll include their intent to screw the warranty as a part of it.

The workshop manager at the dealer called and gave me the "good news" that they decided to fix my car. They don't know that I know everything about what's going on. I asked what changed between the quote they rejected and the new one. They explained they got a dealer rate, whereas before they were being charged retail. I then specifically asked them if the work being done is the same and he said "absolutely, 100%". Of course, the quote changed from replacing 6 injectors to 2. So now the workshop has blatantly lied to me. 

The lawyer has an awesome letter primed to send tomorrow. Hopefully that solves it. 

Hope this ends with dealer being named and given sh*t reviews everywhere possible. 

Amazing what lengths they went through just to skimp on the repair costs. Absolute scum if this is all what it sounds like. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

Hope this ends with dealer being named and given sh*t reviews everywhere possible. 

Amazing what lengths they went through just to skimp on the repair costs. Absolute scum if this is all what it sounds like.  

My Lawyer is Skiing at the moment.. Haha. It should all still unravel this week. I have a really good Document as mentioned above which is just dates and factual bullet points with anything emotive removed. No matter what, I'll post it and the Dealership in question.

• Like 1