Sign in to follow this  
SteveArmy90

Newly purchased 135i running badly - beginning of a saga?

1 hour ago, qube said:

I think the next thing you need to buy is a phone/camera with auto stabilizer

Holy crap it's so bad! Just looked at it on a computer hahaha. I don't even know what I recorded it with. I think it was with a Nexus 6p which didn't stabilize 4k.

Car history from the time I got my licence 13 years ago is:

1.8DOHC Manual '97 Lancer

2000 2.5V6 Manual Galant

2006 Gen1 Mazda MPS

2010 Gen2 Mazda MPS

2005 K20A Accord Euro R

Now this.

Edited by SteveArmy90

Was that the last one running in Waiouru ? If so I've driven that at speed through the desert. My main drive was an APC (reg 98A) with Hiab I was with the LAD Squadron

If it was truly a Man's world; Tank ownership would be so much more accessible than it is! :lol:

• Haha 2

So I am a bit puzzled about this,  you obviously wanted a 135i? I assume for the performance and the driving pleasure? So you did your research and knew that these engines had a few issues, HPFP Injectors, coil packs, charge pipes and at high KM's possible waste gate rattle. You would also have worked out that when these parts are sorted the cars are quite reliable and can deliver a shed load of performance, real bang for your buck stuff in a classy package, I would go so far as to say there are not many cars that can get anywhere near the handling, power and class of a 135/335! for the money. So now you just want to be shot of it because one of the known issues has raised it head. To be fair buying a car new and having this happen is a bit poor luck, but as stated in a few posts when this is done one of the most expensive maintenance costs on this car will be sorted. I guess I am perplexed by your buying motives and expectations. If you dont get you money back from the dealer are you going to keep it? No disrespect but is this a car you actually wanted? 

Edited by Herbmiester
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 1:58 PM, SteveArmy90 said:

Yeah it probably was. I wouldn't have bought the car if I didn't like it! You know how it goes, one bad experience makes them seem cursed ?. I'm a military vehicle collector and it's much the same. Expensive and hard to justify hahaha. Source: M41 

I was fortunate enough to go to the tank museum in Bovington, England.

The place is epic with a huuuuge amount of tanks.

King Tiger remains my favourite.

10 hours ago, zero said:

I was fortunate enough to go to the tank museum in Bovington, England.

The place is epic with a huuuuge amount of tanks.

King Tiger remains my favourite.

That sounds awesome! I'm trying to get over to War and Peace next year. I've never been to the UK. Bovington is definitely on the list and I've heard a lot of awesome things about it.

16 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

So I am a bit puzzled about this,  you obviously wanted a 135i? I assume for the performance and the driving pleasure? So you did your research and knew that these engines had a few issues, HPFP Injectors, coil packs, charge pipes and at high KM's possible waste gate rattle. You would also have worked out that when these parts are sorted the cars are quite reliable and can deliver a shed load of performance, real bang for your buck stuff in a classy package, I would go so far as to say there are not many cars that can get anywhere near the handling, power and class of a 135/335! for the money. So now you just want to be shot of it because one of the known issues has raised it head. To be fair buying a car new and having this happen is a bit poor luck, but as stated in a few posts when this is done one of the most expensive maintenance costs on this car will be sorted. I guess I am perplexed by your buying motives and expectations. If you dont get you money back from the dealer are you going to keep it? No disrespect but is this a car you actually wanted? 

John, I think to be fair he's seeking a refund on the basis that his consumer rights have not been met, and this is an opportunity to sever that relationship and get his money back.  He's lost confidence in that particular vehicle, and has no confidence in the dealer providing remedy to the issues to his satisfaction.  

I think in those circumstances one would feel galled every time one made a payment, saw a CEL code, or even drove said vehicle.  Getting a full refund under the law is the path less travelled, but is ultimately the best.  One might then go shopping for a good, trustworthy, reliable vendor, and then find a similar vehicle through their trusted supplier; also the path less travelled! ?

• Like 1

Hmmm, the seller is some person you will like never see or hear from again, after all the seller in most circumstances doesn't want to know anything about once he they have sold it. That is the nature of selling things, you either dont want or need it or you want to make money from the sale of it. Losing confidence is putting emotion into something that has no emotions, car ownership is a lot easier when you keep things factual. My take is that Steve didn't really research the likely issues with an N54 car and again no disrespect but secondhand BMW's (especially N54's) are an ongoing financial commitment, part of the reason they are so cheap relatively speaking. That said if the injectors get done it will probably be a good car as one of the known issues (Probably the most expensive fix)will be sorted.

I have bought cars in this type of circumstance before, people pay to fix a problem then flick the car because they have negative feelings towards it. In my case in a number of occasions I have been happy to profit from their emotional issues. I bought a nice Mazda RX4 Coupe many years ago; the seller cooked the engine rebuilt it then sold it because he felt they were unreliable. Thanks I will take a rebuilt engine in a clean car and 40k kms later when I sold it, it was still running sweet. My first E36 was bought off a young chap who was worried it would be too expensive to service so he sold it after 4 months ownership. All his mates told him BMW's are expensive to fix and service bro! Thanks mate here's a grand for a tidyish 325i coupe. 

Not trying to be tough on Steve here, but this is a discussion forum. 

• Like 2

Life would be easier if he had just taken the 2x injector fix, and enjoyed the car. Sure, itll break down again, no doubt, but thats what the warranty is for. Instead its turned into a complete clusterf**k, that still has no end in sight.

I want a good outcome for the OP because its been a rough intro to BMWs, but this has gotten harder than it needed to be.

• Like 3

Easy isn't necessarily "right" though.

It would have been easier, and "right" had the dealer responded according to the law and fixed the issue to BMW's standard immediately. He didn't and he went further by actively avoiding his legal accountability.

Protecting rights is important yet most people can't be bothered. In this case Steve has been bothered and he should be applauded for that because he didn't take the easy route. If his actions protect even one other potential buyer then he's done well.

Used car dealers can make a lot of profit from even a single car, how can they make that profit without accepting a commensurate risk? They shouldn't, they are absolutely accountable for not selling faulty goods and it's their responsibility to ensure that before accepting any offer.

Interested to hear how it's going.

Edit: lesson to be learnt here, get the codes read and printed out (by somebody not connected to the seller), including the last cleared date before buying a modern car. Any PPI that doesn't include that is a waste of money.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You think, even after all this, that the dealer is going to change what he does? No, he wont, he will continue to rip poor sods off. The dealer certainly gives no f**ks.

This is all basically a waste of time, where not even the OP is going to win.

I do agree with your lesson though, historic codes are important on modern cars.

Edited by KwS

Protecting or promoting rights is never a waste of time in the long run.

I hope that Steve is made whole at the end of this and the dealer does learn a lesson. If nothing else we'll all learn who the dealer is so something will change.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2018 at 7:09 PM, M3AN said:

Easy isn't necessarily "right" though.

It would have been easier, and "right" had the dealer responded according to the law and fixed the issue to BMW's standard immediately. He didn't and he went further by actively avoiding his legal accountability.

Protecting rights is important yet most people can't be bothered. In this case Steve has been bothered and he should be applauded for that because he didn't take the easy route. If his actions protect even one other potential buyer then he's done well.

Used car dealers can make a lot of profit from even a single car, how can they make that profit without accepting a commensurate risk? They shouldn't, they are absolutely accountable for not selling faulty goods and it's their responsibility to ensure that before accepting any offer.

Interested to hear how it's going.

Edit: lesson to be learnt here, get the codes read and printed out (by somebody not connected to the seller), including the last cleared date before buying a modern car. Any PPI that doesn't include that is a waste of money.

This. I could not have worded it better than this no matter how hard I tried. They could have fixed it properly and I absolutely gave them the chance when I didn't have to. I'll quote something else before I continue.

On 9/30/2018 at 6:34 PM, KwS said:

Life would be easier if he had just taken the 2x injector fix, and enjoyed the car. Sure, itll break down again, no doubt, but thats what the warranty is for. Instead its turned into a complete clusterf**k, that still has no end in sight.

I want a good outcome for the OP because its been a rough intro to BMWs, but this has gotten harder than it needed to be.

If I had taken the 2x Injector fix, I would have still had a faulty car and would have lost a massive amount of clout in my argument. My workshop didn't tell me about this until later in the piece, but the latest scan report that they sent to the dealer on the 28th August actually showed five faulty injectors. I've only been spouting on about two injectors as that's what I had heard from the dealer and the earlier scan report, so the dealer was banking on me not finding out about the later scan report as well. Just another lie from them.

Unfortunately, this absolutely had to turn into a clusterf**k to have any form of productive outcome. It didn't need to, but with they way they acted, it had to. I've read a lot of results from the MVDT since I've applied. I've seen that all of the people that let a dealer fix their car, only to have it done badly, lose. The MVDT State in the notes of these cases that claiming for a refund on a problem they've allowed to be fixed can't happen. So if they fixed two, and three more failed, I'm in the pot for it by the looks of it. The fact that I said I would let them fix it then went back on it is the grey area I'm concerned about. Hopefully the MVDT sees my justification in the lying that's gone on.

On 9/30/2018 at 3:49 PM, Herbmiester said:

My take is that Steve didn't really research the likely issues with an N54 car and again no disrespect but secondhand BMW's (especially N54's) are an ongoing financial commitment, part of the reason they are so cheap relatively speaking. That said if the injectors get done it will probably be a good car as one of the known issues (Probably the most expensive fix)will be sorted.

I have bought cars in this type of circumstance before, people pay to fix a problem then flick the car because they have negative feelings towards it. In my case in a number of occasions I have been happy to profit from their emotional issues.

I will remain tight lipped about what I read until it's all over. I read lots about HPFP's and Wastegates. Injectors at 50,000km though? At full market price? My rights are my rights and I shouldn't have to get in it and barely get home before not being able to drive it. Unfortunately it's on them and they surely must be aware of that risk. If I had to keep it, I wouldn't want to flick it, I would just want it to be fixed properly. I'm all about peace of mind and if I have peace of mind, I'll be sweet and still love the car. I just don't want any form of relationship with the dealer and I want to give it back while I can.

Everyone is right here. I have the right to return, I can see that second hand cars have problems, it could just be bad luck for the dealer, I've read about them, indeed etc etc etc. There are lots of perspectives but I will take the stance that I take while I can because I'll never be in a position as strong as I am now. I would really like to thank you, @M3AN, for your encouragement in this. It was because of your comments that I started taking notes early, researched my rights, and treaded as carefully as I did. I owe you beer mate.

Edited by SteveArmy90
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/28/2018 at 3:35 PM, SteveArmy90 said:

2005 K20A Accord Euro R

Now this.

I literally went, last year, from a 2005 k20a euro r to a 335i. 

Once you get your car/car running, you will certainly enjoy the difference. 

I can't believe I used to think the euro r was fast. To be fair, it was much more engaging when on spirited drives. Nothing like a high reving na engine mated with manual. For everything else the 135/335i just has it beat. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, blake12 said:

Once you get your car/car running, you will certainly enjoy the difference. 

Sounds like OP will never get to enjoy the difference, since they are rejecting the car.

18 hours ago, KwS said:

Sounds like OP will never get to enjoy the difference, since they are rejecting the car.

I figured once they get a refund, they might still go about purchasing a 135i. 

Understandable if they can't even stand the thought of them any more though! 

Plenty of other 135is around, maybe get one with an N55 for less potential hassle ;)

• Like 1

The MPS was pretty good but they both wore out suspension components at a crazy rate. I was doing rear sway bar links every 20,000km. I enjoyed the Honda much more as a car. In fact it would be my favourite car to date. The Honda did a knock sensor, alternator, both axle seals, two door solenlids in a year. Ishould have done the n55 thing in hindsight. I'm not even looking at a "next car" until I find out if it's getting fixed or not ?

Edited by SteveArmy90

Still No contact from the dealer after the first week of the MVDT's grace period. It won't look too good for them if they don't get hold of me about my car by the coming Friday.

• Like 2

I have a response.

They want to replace all six injectors in Auckland with Ex-Australian second hand injectors with a 1 year warranty.

My obvious first thought is hell no.

As the MVDT Require you to not act in contempt of the other party or any process I'm too scared to write back to them yet. Waiting on my Lawyer.

If your lawyer recommends entertaining this offer just make sure that your warranty recourse is 6 new BMW branded injectors installed at the dealer of your choice at no cost to you (or your warranty company), invoiced straight to the dealer that sold you the car. Make the trigger for that warranty claim a single stored code from any single injector in the first 12 months.

If the Au injectors are the new type and BMW branded they may be just fine for many years to come.

But the hassle! What does 6 new injectors cost???

Edited by M3AN

They are $600 each from BMW NZ +GST

• Thanks 2

Why can't they send the used injectors to a workshop closer to you, if they insist on them? Massive f**k around having to get the car back to Auckland!

Dave's on the right course too, lock that "warranty" down hard. I can imagine the hassles if you had to claim that "warranty" though. 

• Like 1