Sign in to follow this  
Contrails

Anyone use an outdoor car cover?

G'day,

Space has become an issue for me so I might have to park my car outside.  I am thinking of investing in a really good car cover from nzcarcovers. Anyone used them before?

Cheers.

I recall a discussion here about covers in general about a year ago.

IIRC the general consensus was the same as my personal experience - they'll all scratch your car. Even if they have a soft liner they will still scratch and you can't prevent stuff getting in between the car and cover which sticks there when wet and scratches even more.

The best bet I think is a good cover that you can somehow stand off the actual vehicle. I thought of blocks of polystyrene wrapped in felt that you stuck to the inside of the cover (with glue) so it keep the cover away from the car. The problem there is you need a few of them and then the entire cover becomes even more cumbersome than it already is.

A framed "tent" that you could drive (or push) under might be a good idea.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Yes, even indoors I don’t like to use them. Apart from scratching the paint they also trap moisture. A carport or some sort of tent would be ok. Perhaps you could check out some storage facilities. They have garage size units. Just make sure it is properly ventilated. 

• Like 1