Sign in to follow this  
blake12

Swapping the runflats for some potenzas

Best mod I have done (e90 335i) !  
What is BMW thinking putting those tyres on sports cars? The car feels and handles so much better now. Completely transformed it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

They didn't make room for a spare- it had to be done. But yes, they are rubbish.

A cigarette lighter powered tyre pump and a can of tyre slime from Repco or Supercheap, and you're covered pretty well really.
Had plenty of punctures on my non runflats and the tyre pump always kept me going long enough to get to a tyre shop, still haven't even needed to use the tyre slime. 

The flat tyre monitor picks up pressure loss long before it's flat so you get plenty of warning. 

Runflats are a bad joke. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, blake12 said:

Best mod I have done (e90 335i) !  
What is BMW thinking putting those tyres on sports cars? The car feels and handles so much better now. Completely transformed it. 

Part of the reason is safety. Don't want to be changing a tyre on the side of the autobahn at night. M cars don't come on runflats and they are proper sports cars

correct size IMO would be 225 40 18 or 235 40 18 front, 255 35 18 or 265 35 18 rear with standard guards and "normal" wheel offset.

If you are running the 17" wheels by any chance (very unlikely) then it would be 225 45 17 and 255 40 17.

I didn't think of the autobahn safety. 
Spare Tyre wise, I brought a genuine BMW kit for $250 that I keep in the boot in the unlikely chance I get a puncture. 

I honestly thought something was wrong with my car on the run flats XD  
They were tramlining (is that the correct word?) something awful on these bumpy chch streets. 

Tyre's I got were (as per the invoice): 
front - 225/45R17 potenza RE003 
rear - 255/40R17 potenza S001

Cost under 1g all up including a warranty so I thought the price was pretty sharp. 

Edited by blake12
  • Like 1

I ran the same combo on my 335i before I went to 18" wheels. The S001's performed very well.

3 hours ago, blake12 said:

I brought a genuine BMW kit for $250 that I keep in the boot in the unlikely chance I get a puncture. 

What mobility kit do you have?

I have 71102333674 sitting in my boot (even though I am still running RFT) and I am trying to figure out if it has an in-built gel canister of some sort. And if so, how do you go about replacing it? If anyone knows. 

Same kit. Apparently has a replaceable cartridge for the sealant although im not sure where to acquire one. 

Dealers have them in stock usually