Sign in to follow this  
viskop

E46 330i - Help with coolant flush.

All,

Anyone willing to help me flush and refill the coolant in my 2000 BMW 330i? If someone is willing to help, pls name your price (case of beers, or 2 cases ??). I can come to you (closer to Johnsonville the better). And I can only do weekends (pref Saturdays).

Story is: I bought the 330i on Monday afternoon 20 Aug, I drove it home from Winger BMW to Grenada Village, halfway the engine light came on and stayed on. I parked the car at home and Tuesday afternoon I popped the hood, opened the radiator cap and there was hardly anything in the tank. So I topped it up with tap water, turned the car to on, and the engine light stayed on. I left it overnight, and Wednesday afternoon I checked the water level again, and it was fine, so I started the car...and the engine light came on for 1 second, then turned off. I then drove the car to New World Churton Park, no issues.

Also drove the car yesterday all day, no issues. So I want to flush the coolant system and fill it up again, and if anyone can help, that will be appreciated. It seems the price for a flush is from $88 upwards. Yesterday I bought 3.78L of Prestone Concentrate Antifreeze/coolant at Repco, but checking some youtube videos, they were all over the place, and no video was the same.

Thanks.

Charl

I would be inclined to get the cooling system checked / pressure tested first. The coolant has gone down for a reason - that needs to be determined.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, hotwire said:

I would be inclined to get the cooling system checked / pressure tested first. The coolant has gone down for a reason - that needs to be determined.

Awesome, appreciate the suggestion, and I will rather do that.

Cheers.

take the coolant you brought at Repco back, and buy genuine BMW coolant from dealer. it is same price/L as the repco stuff so you might as well use it, and is the correct stuff for the car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

take the coolant you brought at Repco back, and buy genuine BMW coolant from dealer. it is same price/L as the repco stuff so you might as well use it, and is the correct stuff for the car.

Cheers Andy, much appreciated ?.

working on your old 330i today ha. such a shame to pull this car apart, it is very good condition!

• Like 1

Yes, definitely get the correct coolant, as the non bmw stuff can damage the bmw aluminium parts.

And definitely get a pressure test on the cooling system to find the leak. We can help you source parts when you find the leak.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

working on your old 330i today ha. such a shame to pull this car apart, it is very good condition!

That is life, Andy. I always take very good care of my car/s...always have, always will. ?

4 hours ago, zero said:

Yes, definitely get the correct coolant, as the non bmw stuff can damage the bmw aluminium parts.

And definitely get a pressure test on the cooling system to find the leak. We can help you source parts when you find the leak.

Cheers Nathan, much appreciated. ?

I cant help with this, but i'm curious, does low coolant on a E46 trigger the CEL?

10 minutes ago, KwS said:

I cant help with this, but i'm curious, does low coolant on a E46 trigger the CEL?

Dunno about the CEL, but I think there's a low coolant warning light.

^^^^ Yep no CEL but low coolant warning.

...in my case I need to replace the coolant thermostat and housing. Getting this done tomorrow (Frid 31 Aug) at Winger BMW. ?

• Like 1