Sign in to follow this  
qube

Reverse camera for CIC iDrive

The aftermarket camera installed on my F20 has stopped working.

It was never anything spectacular in terms of image quality and the dynamic bars were just fixed on the screen (cheap aftermarket) but it did help for when I needed to get into small spaces. Anyone know how to diagnose this issue?

Also, how difficult would it be to install a genuine or "Better" quality one and hook it up to the CIC iDrive system?

I see a bunch of cheap cameras and AV cables for ten twenty bucks but also shops like eurosurgeon and autogravity etc sell packages for $800 etc.

I reckon if you already have an aftermarket camera in there I'd just pop the stereo unit out and investigate. Might have something similar to the decoder in the video. In this case I reckon you should just be able to buy a decent quality camera off ebay/ali and connect it in place of the existing one. 

$800 is probably for a complete OEM retrofit (well it better be one for that price...)

I found a little toggle switch in the glovebox wall that I didnt know existed. must have accidentally flicked it.

All good now.

Its a minefield with reverse camera's & their quality. I have tried numerous over the years, some have been crap - not even price related. I have for the last several years been using a contact in China - once i got on to a known quality reliable unit.

Interesting on OEM. Have a customer in Wellington that I had supplied a retrofit camera for his E53. He later bought an E70 & I sourced from my contact in Europe a genuine OEM E70 retrofit kit. He commented to me the image quality at night was nowhere near as good as the Chinese camera he had in his E53.

5 hours ago, hotwire said:

Its a minefield with reverse camera's & their quality. I have tried numerous over the years, some have been crap - not even price related. I have for the last several years been using a contact in China - once i got on to a known quality reliable unit.

Interesting on OEM. Have a customer in Wellington that I had supplied a retrofit camera for his E53. He later bought an E70 & I sourced from my contact in Europe a genuine OEM E70 retrofit kit. He commented to me the image quality at night was nowhere near as good as the Chinese camera he had in his E53.

The OEM camera on the pre-facelift E70 is useless at night, it’s actuslly pretty embarrassing that something like that ended up in such an expensive car. 

Its bizarre that in spite of the rear camera quality the one fitted to my wing mirror to find the curb is very chrisp and clear. 

The US forums are full of people complaining about it. 

I also have a toggle switch just above the drivers footwell which disables the reverse camera from operating. 

Anyone know why such switch would need to be installed?

I have found nothing else it affected in terms of operation.

I honestly have no idea why it needs a kill switch (as I like to call it).

its not like mine is in a place reachable from while I am seated in the drivers position..

7 hours ago, Smackiee said:

I also have a toggle switch just above the drivers footwell which disables the reverse camera from operating. 

Anyone know why such switch would need to be installed?

I have found nothing else it affected in terms of operation.

I  had a red coloured switch with a japanese sticker (Japanese import) next to it in my 535i, above the driver's footwell too .

Looked super neat and factory. 

Yeah very tidy install, not red like yours and no sticker. 

Just don't understand why it is there. Tried to find more information about it but could find none.

I have genuine f20 camera and other bits etc

• Like 1